English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - General

Old 13 March 2020, 09:49   #41
Daedalus

All very well and comforting being young, fit and healthy... Unless you have friends or family members who are not. Old or poorly people dying unnecessarily might sound ok to some, but those people have children, grandchildren, wives, husbands who will be robbed of potentially many years more life with their loved ones.
Old 13 March 2020, 10:03   #42
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Some people are just so f***ing stupid...
Our prime minister assured there would be no food shortage and people shouldn't go on hoarding sprees.. and what do they do.. pile up in the supermarkets for bogrolls, canned goods and so on.

It's the Australian bogroll race v2.
Skip to 6:00 in video below.
[ Show youtube player ]

Fecking eejits.....
Old 13 March 2020, 10:08   #43
sparhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
All very well and comforting being young, fit and healthy... Unless you have friends or family members who are not. Old or poorly people dying unnecessarily might sound ok to some, but those people have children, grandchildren, wives, husbands who will be robbed of potentially many years more life with their loved ones.

Yes. That's why people should take care when they are in contact with people who are actually among the risk categories. Health care, Age care, etc., and it it is surely a wise thing to reduce contact with your grandparents and such. That's why I actually can understand that the goverment (germany) starts to close down schools. Not because the kids are in danger, but because of the spreading hazards.
But I don't believe that toilet paper, noodels and such is out of stock, because of endangered people, but because of people who are not even affected, think they might die if they just think about the virus.
Old 13 March 2020, 10:14   #44
Daedalus

Yeah, the panic buying is ridiculous, but a very different thing to being complacent because you're not in the high risk category.
Old 13 March 2020, 10:57   #45
sparhawk

My son had a cancer treatment. So he is definitely in the risk category and I sure don't take this lightly. But I also refuse to buy into the panic mongering that is currently going on. I really hate it, when I see the "news" and if you really listen to it, you can see how they leave out important bits of the information, because it would reduce the drama aka quotes.
When I talk to people, many think that kids are at a high risk, because otherwise why would they close the schools! Yeah, so much for the "information" business. Looking at numbers or getting info is boring.
Old 13 March 2020, 15:06   #46
Anubis
Na'vi Gamer

People will in many cases stay ignorant and in denial, and even in today age of instant news - they will not know how to filter it.

Here everyone knows that main reason schools will be closed for 3 weeks (mandatory) - to slow down spread of virus. Kids are not at high risk, unless they have some other health issues.

I am not panicking, but I am well aware that I am @ higher risk. My and my wife parents are also at higher risk, due to both fathers having diabetes.

Was listening this morning on radio, NPR's crew is In Itali and police gave ticket to someone for walking on street. He went to his restaurant to pick up food that will go bad... still has to pay fine...
Old 13 March 2020, 16:10   #47
LongLifeA1200

It can be difficult to separate fact from fear. World leaders are asking for travel and gathering bans.

Seeing people walking on the street carrying a large pack of toilet paper (like they were talking it out for a stroll instead of the dog) is surreal.

Did someone call the Star Ship Enterprise and ask for a EM Auto Sanitizing Gate?
Old 13 March 2020, 16:38   #48
manicx

I have been stocking stuff in my basement to avoid such situations. I learned this the hard way, when the banks closed here a few years ago. Now, I sit comfortably and see the others in panic. A panic that cause high queues and increases the danger of spreading the virus.
Old 13 March 2020, 19:37   #49
Paul_s
Stuck in the 80s

If Toilet rolls are sold out look for Toilet Paper Tablets.

These are 'outdoor' based toilet paper which are cylindrical shaped, just need a little water to expand them to normal size paper towel
Old 13 March 2020, 21:44   #50
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Today the CH government decided to close all the schools from Monday 16.03.2020 until April - end of April for my region (at minimum would I say). Funny (really? ) to listen to the news that CH internet food shop now have a delay of 10 days for delivery...
With all that mess, don't know what will be left on the shop for my family shopping .
Old 13 March 2020, 22:52   #51
demolition
Unregistered User

I went to the supermarket on Wednesday evening to buy a few items and noticed that the shop was unusually crowded. I often go shopping in the evening since it is nice and quiet. This time, the lady in front of me bought 6 bags of toilet paper rolls plus 3 large trolleys worth of other stuff (and this is a tiny local supermarket, mainly used by the people living within walking distance). When I came back home, I learned that 15 minutes before my shopping trip, our prime minister had just finished an announcement telling people not to hoard. I guess telling people not to hoard triggers the hoarding gene in some people (like #42 writes).
Old 13 March 2020, 23:26   #52
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

The craziness has hit the Netherlands today... a new advice has gone out for people to work from home and not too hoard so naturally about three quarters of the country did just that - stay home and hoard. Supermarkets are being picked clean. Toilet paper, bread, canned food, long lasting milk products, meat, even the vegetables... gone.

Strangely enough, not frozen pizzas. I guess because that takes up too much space in the freezer?

I ain't sweating it, I hardly buy the food stuff that people are hoarding anyway But if by Monday I can't get some different vegetables, I'm going to be a little cranky...
Old 13 March 2020, 23:39   #53
demolition
Unregistered User

Yeah, I guess if you wanted to hoard, then it would make sense to go for long-lasting stuff like canned food and dried stuff like pasta, rice, beans, lentils etc. but I don't get why the vegetable isles were picked clean as well? Most of it will only last a few days or a week at most. Perhaps they were too late to get any of the long-lasting foods and since the shop was all out, they just picked whatever was left so they didn't had to leave empty-handed. Easier to explain to the spouse why you only got vegetables than having to explain why you came home with nothing at all.
Old 14 March 2020, 02:33   #54
jmmijo

The only thing I HOARD is my Steam Library
Old 14 March 2020, 03:41   #55
Anubis
Na'vi Gamer

No problem with toilet paper - no foo - no need for paper...

@Gimbal - vegetables and fruit became rare commodity here...

This more and more reminds me of just before and start of the war... Then also president of my country was telling that there will be no war... (and people were already dying at the time)... and now president tells us that just little of nice weather and everything will be fine...

Seems that there is a chance our president has virus too...
Old 14 March 2020, 07:39   #56
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Old 14 March 2020, 09:13   #57
sparhawk

The crazy thing with the hoarding is, that you have to participate once it starts.
Old 14 March 2020, 17:28   #58
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparhawk View Post
The crazy thing with the hoarding is, that you have to participate once it starts.
So like a mexican standoff?

Nah, not everybody acts on the urge to stampede along with the crowd. We're smarter than cows (well, some of us).
I must say that I did feel slightly like a hoarder today as I bought a package of toilet paper. It was only a single package that I got because I was running low, but just the act of getting toilet paper felt weird.
Old 14 March 2020, 17:50   #59
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
Not many fellow citizens remember this parody of Paperback Writer (plus d'papier water!) by the 4 Bidochons dans le Vent, translates into no more water closet paper :

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 14 March 2020, 23:58   #60
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
Here are my thoughts, for what it's worth :
  1. It's not a mere come-and-go flu, way more contagious and uncertain in its consequences
  2. The decision to close all shops and bars is plain insane for the economy
  3. The little climate brat from Sweden had warned us ... On a more serious note, 2019 heat wave was beyond anything known to meteorologists; during a few nights from last July here in some parts of France, you could almost feel electricity in the air and not the slightest breeze to refresh our lungs and palate
  4. All these old people from rich countries dying prematurely, the boon is real for Notary Offices all across Western Europe
  5. Eating hoarded food and watching crap on TV instead of hanging out with friends for weeks maybe months, how boring can it get ? Or maybe it's part of a bigger plan to be fatten and then used as nourishment for the Lizard people (e.q. Draconians), who knows!

Last edited by SquawkBox; 15 March 2020 at 02:43.