English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 25 June 2018, 08:47   #481
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl@sh View Post
Is there any setting I can check to speedup ppc emulation? Does all old chipset related stuff go to definitively sleep when the ppc starts?
I'm waiting for qemu compatibility but meantime I'm using winuae for OS4.
I hope, one day maybe, Toni will be major focused on this 'new' branch of Amiga emulation.
Chipset is not inactive when running OS4 for classics. CIAs are active, Paula is active (all interrupt handling) and so on. PPC boards for classics are only a huge klugdes..

PPC CPU still runs as fast as possible (separate thread for PP CPU) except when it needs to access mainboard IO, which is very slow (mainly keyboard, mouse, interrupt status). It is as optimal as it can be without requiring any major chipset side changes. Which won't ever happen.

Note that any UAE device is slow. Fixing it, especially uaegfx would mean moving the native code "driver" completely to Amiga side to remove context switch slowdowns. Which would be really, really annoying task and would need maintaining..

And even more important: it would be totally pointless task because obviously correct way is to write native OS4 driver but driver API is private!
Old 25 June 2018, 09:53   #482
White

@Hi Toni,
thanks for version 4 of winUAE.

@Fl@sh
Hi, you could attach your winUAE 64bit configuration, I'd like to see it.
Thank you.

Last edited by White; 25 June 2018 at 09:54. Reason: error
Old 28 June 2018, 06:58   #483
fl@sh

@toni

so what do you suggest to maximize emulation speed for ppc os4? Are there some settings to flag/unflag or others undocumented features to try?

@white
at this time I'm replyng from anoter pc (notebook) so I haven't winuae cfg file.
Old 01 August 2018, 18:53   #484
White

Hi Toni,
Excuse me if I ask you, I was trying qemu with linux
But I do not understand the situation.
With your experience I hope to receive a suggestion, after I will not ask you more questions on this topic.
I read here
http://zero.eik.bme.hu/~balaton/qemu/amiga/

that at the moment the requested iso and that of the final edition 4.1 sam460ex 53.58
so the classic version of amigaos4.1 53.71 does not work?
Is the executable to be used qemu-ppc?
I have an I5 2400 64bit processor

Thanks for any response and sorry I still rely on your experience.
Old 01 August 2018, 19:32   #485
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
so what do you suggest to maximize emulation speed for ppc os4? Are there some settings to flag/unflag or others undocumented features to try?
Don't use UAE expansions. They are slower than hardware emulated boards. Faster PC also works

Quote:
Originally Posted by White View Post
that at the moment the requested iso and that of the final edition 4.1 sam460ex 53.58
so the classic version of amigaos4.1 53.71 does not work?
Yes, classic version only supports classic hardware (CSPPC/BlizzardPPC).
Old 01 August 2018, 19:40   #486
White

Toni, thank you very much for your reply.
Old 13 August 2018, 15:09   #487
AMIGASYSTEM

@bernd roesch

Ciao bernd, what do you think of this: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=64079&page=126
Old 14 October 2018, 13:54   #488
_ThEcRoW
Amiga NetRunner

Hello all, long time since my last post. I saw recently that winuae is on v4 and gave it a try. I'm trying to run a classic environment for 3.1 + blizzardppc (no os4), and the emulator gives therror of the plugin not found. I have it on the folder plugins as the docs says. Still it says that plugin isn't found.
Anyone has a clue?
Old 14 October 2018, 19:57   #489
_ThEcRoW
Amiga NetRunner

Problem solved. Was using the wrong dll.
Old 15 October 2018, 15:55   #490
_ThEcRoW
Amiga NetRunner

Well, i finally got it running and have a installation of 3.1 classic tih the ppc support but the problem i noticed is that i can't give it more than 128mb of ram, be it with the z3 slider or with the accelerator memory, anything passing 128 mb gets stuck in black screen and system halt. It's been a lont time since i played with winuae and its ppc part. Anyone knows what could be the cause?.
Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by _ThEcRoW; 15 October 2018 at 15:56. Reason: typo
Old 06 November 2018, 09:09   #491
AMIGASYSTEM

Ciao Toni, I have an error when I use the Shell on PPC Emulation, where am I wrong?

attach Log and config

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 13 November 2018 at 08:52.
Old 06 November 2018, 17:42   #492
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ThEcRoW View Post
Well, i finally got it running and have a installation of 3.1 classic tih the ppc support but the problem i noticed is that i can't give it more than 128mb of ram, be it with the z3 slider or with the accelerator memory, anything passing 128 mb gets stuck in black screen and system halt. It's been a lont time since i played with winuae and its ppc part. Anyone knows what could be the cause?.
Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!
Not enough information and probably normal unless you have latest OS 4.1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
Ciao Toni, I have an error when I use the Shell on PPC Emulation, where am I wrong?

attach Log and config
Why do you think low level tools like WhichAmiga work without issues in OS4.x?
Old 06 November 2018, 18:06   #493
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Why do you think low level tools like WhichAmiga work without issues in OS4.x?
Toni the system using it is not OS4 but OS3.9 PPC (AfA-OS) the message was not caused by WhichAmiga (works well), but by a command from Shell
Old 06 November 2018, 18:45   #494
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
Toni the system using it is not OS4 but OS3.9 PPC (AfA-OS) the message was not caused by WhichAmiga (works well), but by a command from Shell
Then it is even more useless. Some program that no one has idea what it is prints some errors. With AfA-OS that no one knows if it is PPC compatible. Far too many unknowns.
Old 06 November 2018, 19:15   #495
AMIGASYSTEM

Toni the error is present on all the OS3 PPC systems tested by me (i never do a single test), also tested on an OS 3.9 BB4 standard, see screenshot.
AfA OS has nothing in particular compatible with 100x100 with all OS3, then it is not so unknown, also Amikit e AmikitX they are systems AfA OS, both use the extension AfA-OS 4.8 like mine AfA-OS.

The error arises when I run the command "hUnpack" (PPC application) for the second time

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 09 November 2018 at 23:23.
Old 08 November 2018, 04:39   #496
AC/DC HACKER!

Quote:
@white
at this time I'm replyng from anoter pc (notebook) so I haven't winuae cfg file.
He's meaning when you are able to share. I think a lot of people miss this part of logic. They don't mean "Right now!!" but.."When able."
Old 08 November 2018, 04:47   #497
AC/DC HACKER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ThEcRoW View Post
Problem solved. Was using the wrong dll.
Hard rubber mallet to your head.

@ White and More...

The error, or WOS error, then implies there's something happening with the PPC Emulation code. I'm able to install the game well with my Amiga 4000 Desktop CSPPC. I'm also able to do so when running OS 4.1.1, with some tweaking.

WinUAE:

Payback PPC runs well in Software Rendering mode but won't run in Hardware mode, and in Software Mode PowerPC.library is used (WinUAE). It runs like an OS game because Paula is emulated well. Nightlong runs a bit differently, but still functions well with Picaso 4. Picasso 4 vs UAEGfx. Shogo and the programs associated, seem to "bang" hardware differently than the PPCEmu is able to handle in some situations. I have checked a lot into the software of the OS, but thus far...it's hit or miss...PPCEmu. To that, there is NOT a solve on the User End. (I C..ould be missing something here...but it's what I found so far..)

How to deal handle it?? Currently? Use real Amiga hardware to install then transfer to your emulation until someone does work on PPC Emulation to get it all to function well. In a way that Classics require what Toni suggests, needs maintaining. Coding for old School hardware can be done until final, guys...if someone is really good and willing to be that passionate. The Clue is "Classic Hardware" but who wants to do it? Once Classic is Done, it's Done. But that requires evolution and checking.

Meanwhile, Payback PPC works with straight CSPPC emulation (don't add ANY WinUAE extra Z2 or Z3 RAM..or it won't function correctly). AmigaAMP functions pretty well from my limited tests. WarpDTs are functioning well also.

If I'm in error anywhere here, I'm open to education.

Last edited by AC/DC HACKER!; 08 November 2018 at 05:31.
Old 08 November 2018, 09:40   #498
AMIGASYSTEM

Ciao AC/DC HACKER!, given the incompatibility of "hUnpack" and therefore the impossibility to install "Shogo" on OS 3.9 PPC, I installed "Shogo" on OS 4.1.1 where the installation was fast and perfect.After this I transferred "Shogo" on OS 3.9 PPC getting the same error while running the game
Old 09 November 2018, 11:12   #499
Tomislav

PowerPC.library maybe. Not all things work with it and some things works partly.

For example: "StormMesa - CPU driver works (NOHW=1). 3D driver works with the demos when Warp3D/ForceVersion = 3 (In ENVARC: )"

https://github.com/Sakura-IT/SonnetA...ary-version%29
Old 12 November 2018, 03:45   #500
AC/DC HACKER!

Agreed. ShogoMAD full and demo function every time with my A4000 CSPPC, the front end GUI and game. Game, yes, with WinUAE and OS 4.1.1., now that I know which ToolTypes have to be used. But not with WinUAE OS 3.5 consistently, and not 3.9..at except once or twice the front end GUI showed. Hasn't repeated since from many, many attempts.
With WinUAE using 4.1.1. I'm cool with it that way. It's also slightly faster than OS 3.5.

Appreciate the link to the list.