English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 28 September 2003, 21:07   #1
TheOutrider

Multi-Disk Compressed ADF?

Hi there!

I've just recently ran into WinUAE and have started gathering ye olden games and creating disk images. As my collection incorporates games like Robinson's Requiem (7 Disks), the Elvira games (5 and 7 Disks), Ambermoon (7 Disks) and a few other multi-disk games, my WinUAE\Disks folder is severely lacking clarity at the moment.
So, I started to delve into the whole ADZ/DMS creating business. I found that those would help me save hard disk space, but not improve the state of my Disks folder, as gzip (used for .adz) archives can only contain single files.
Then, I stumbled into the fact that WinUAE can also directly run PKZipped .adf images. My question now is, is it in any way possible to have .zip archives with several ADF files in them, sequentially numbered, and running those directly with WinUAE (ie. Elvira.zip containing elvira1.adf through elvira5.adf or just plainly 1.adf through 5.adf, and so on)?

Thanks in Advance and Bye,

Florian

Old 29 September 2003, 10:49   #2
mtb

Re: Multi-Disk Compressed ADF?

Quote:
Originally posted by TheOutrider
My question now is, is it in any way possible to have .zip archives with several ADF files in them, sequentially numbered, and running those directly with WinUAE (ie. Elvira.zip containing elvira1.adf through elvira5.adf or just plainly 1.adf through 5.adf, and so on)?

Thanks in Advance and Bye,

Florian
For what i know it isn't possible. Install them with an installer to a virtual hd to solve the problem and to avoid loading times.
Old 29 September 2003, 16:33   #3
Magix
calm down do how.

Send a message via ICQ to Magix
Quote:
My question now is, is it in any way possible to have .zip archives with several ADF files in them, sequentially numbered, and running those directly with WinUAE (ie. Elvira.zip containing elvira1.adf through elvira5.adf or just plainly 1.adf through 5.adf, and so on)?
Yes. There is ugly workaround:

"<path>\Elvira.zip\Elvira_Disk2.adf"
selects second disk.

or

"<path>\Elvira.zip\#2" selects second supported image.

WinUAE's GUI will support files inside archives someday..

"...from Toni Wilen"
Old 29 September 2003, 18:50   #4
TheOutrider

Quote:
Originally posted by Magix
Yes. There is ugly workaround: (...)
Thanks a lot, that is pretty much exactly what I was hoping for

Old 29 September 2003, 20:09   #5
Magix
calm down do how.

Send a message via ICQ to Magix
No problem,

... and welcome to EAB
Old 29 September 2003, 21:51   #6
TheOutrider

Thanks
This is, actually, pretty much my first stronger contact with Amiga... we've been an Atari family back in the 80s and early 90s, but I'm starting to generally get into oldskool computing now

Old 01 October 2003, 21:19   #7
mtb

Quote:
Originally posted by Magix
Yes. There is ugly workaround:

"<path>\Elvira.zip\Elvira_Disk2.adf"
selects second disk.

or

"<path>\Elvira.zip\#2" selects second supported image.

WinUAE's GUI will support files inside archives someday..

"...from Toni Wilen"
Sounds new to me!
Old 01 October 2003, 22:58   #8
TheOutrider

Works fine though, at least with games that can handle their disks being write protected \o/
Small idea for Toni concerning the implementation of this: maybe add two (configurable) keys or key combinations to WinUAE that will cycle forwards/backwards through all .adf, .dms or .adz files inside a directory or archive and insert them into DF0:, even from within the emulator.
Would be a great thing to have

Old 02 October 2003, 00:28   #9
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Quote:
Works fine though, at least with games that can handle their disks being write protected \o/
Well, for games that do force you to remove the write-protect tab, you can also do this by unchecking the box in the floppy options. Note that writes will NOT be permanent with zipped disks, it's just a simulation: so disk will be in original state afterwards after "ejecting".
Old 02 October 2003, 03:21   #10
TheOutrider

Ayuh... 'twas just that I read somewhere (even on the WinUAE page, I believe) that zipped disks were considered write protected, so I guessed the checkbox was activated in the vein of "we'll do this at some point, but it doesn't do anything right now". Thanks for clearing that up

Old 02 October 2003, 10:44   #11
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
np
well again: if the box IS checked, the write-protect WILL be effective and the emulator will NOT be able to write to the zipped images.
if it's NOT checked, you can write to the image, but the modifications you do will only be temporary and not affect the image included in the zip on your HD.