English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 19 April 2011, 23:09   #81
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDTV1991 View Post
Why not have lots of virtual disc drives so multi disc games can all be in one slot?
1) Lots of multi-disk games (specially cracked ones) don't support any other disk drive than DF0:
2) Not sure if that is possible with a single connector.... Possibly is. I don't know enough about how different disk drives are wired daisy chain fashion.
Old 20 April 2011, 00:27   #82
Jeff_HxC2001

Quote:
Why not have lots of virtual disc drives so multi disc games can all be in one slot?
The SD HxC Floppy Emulator can emulate up to 2 floppy disk drive, no more. You can have up to 4 disk drive on Amiga, but very few games support this.

Quote:
Is there a way to change slots while a game is running without pressing the HxC buttons?
It seems that I may still have to access the HxC buttons and be able to see the screen to change disc or slots on the HxC floppy emulator unless the operation changes.
In fact you can connect another "external" push button to the SD HxC Floppy Emulator to change the disc. Only one button is really needed.
(have a look to the user manual for the connection)

If you don't want any button there are a new mode into the v1.6.0.0 allowing to change the disc ejeecting and reinserting the sdcard. By this way, no lcd, no button ;-)
Old 20 April 2011, 14:58   #83
CDTV1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_HxC2001 View Post
The SD HxC Floppy Emulator can emulate up to 2 floppy disk drive, no more. You can have up to 4 disk drive on Amiga, but very few games support this.

In fact you can connect another "external" push button to the SD HxC Floppy Emulator to change the disc. Only one button is really needed.
(have a look to the user manual for the connection)

If you don't want any button there are a new mode into the v1.6.0.0 allowing to change the disc ejeecting and reinserting the sdcard. By this way, no lcd, no button ;-)
I may try to map one of the buttons on the CDTV remote to the HxC (possibly the genlock button). To do this i'll have to try and find the point inside the CDTV that registers when that button is pressed.
Old 20 April 2011, 17:14   #84
gehtjanx
Banned

use CD/TV button. It's on remote and on CDTV and maybe you can grab the dignal on the front LCD panel's CD/TV button. Would be interesting if this is the same signal as on the remote.

gehtjanx
Old 20 April 2011, 17:32   #85
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
I may try to map one of the buttons on the CDTV remote to the HxC (possibly the genlock button). To do this i'll have to try and find the point inside the CDTV that registers when that button is pressed.
There isn't such a place. Not that you could wire a switch to. The IRDA data is fed through the keyboard processor. You'd have to add a logic circuit which understood the key codes and could trigger the switch that way.

Using a physical switch on the unit would be practical. The STOP key on the CD play controls for example.

Last edited by alexh; 20 April 2011 at 17:40.
Old 20 April 2011, 22:45   #86
CDTV1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by gehtjanx View Post
use CD/TV button. It's on remote and on CDTV and maybe you can grab the dignal on the front LCD panel's CD/TV button. Would be interesting if this is the same signal as on the remote.

gehtjanx
this is what I had in mind
Old 21 April 2011, 00:33   #87
gehtjanx
Banned

please let us know if it is working with remote too then.

thanks,
gehtjanx
Old 21 April 2011, 09:01   #88
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

What does that button do? Maybe we could deduce logically if the remote signal and the button have to terminate in the same place?

FYI: Wiring to the button on the control panel won't give you what you're hoping for. It will work for the button on the control panel but not when you press the remote. That will be added later after some electronics on the motherboard. You need to look at the destination rather than the source.

The destination on the motherboard for the genlock button on the remote is likely to be unused (unless you have a Genlock fitted). If it is in the form of a simple on/off signal then *maybe* you wire to this place on the motherboard if you can find it in the schematics. I doubt it will be a simple on/off but you never know.

You're not going to be able to wire in before the 'keyboard' processor.
Old 21 April 2011, 16:21   #89
gehtjanx
Banned

Hello,

I think too that remote and real buttons are handled different, that's why I posted he should tell us if it's working. That would be interesting.

The CD/TV button does, as far as I know, change signal TV or CDTV if you connect CDTV with antenna/RF cables with standard video module (not using composite or RGB, but antenna).

gehtjanx
Old 21 April 2011, 17:31   #90
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Unusual thing to be capable of via UHF because the TV would need to be retuned. It would just view static.
Old 23 April 2011, 22:12   #91
CDTV1991

I can't seem to get the second emulated floppy disk drive working.

The jumper settings are as per the HxC manual but when I set one disc image to each drive (in one slot) I always get asked to insert disk 2. When I press the HxC button only two disc images are available, disc 1and the auto boot image, no second disc.

Also get down to Maplin on Monday to pick up a little switch to fit it at the rear for the ROM switch.

It appears that a light on the front panel is switched on and off when the cd/tv button is pressed on the remote, I wonder if this can me made to trigger the HxC button?

Last edited by TCD; 23 April 2011 at 22:21. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Use the edit function.
Old 25 April 2011, 22:17   #92
CDTV1991

Finally fitted my extended ROM switch on the back.

Waiting for the SD card slot extender to arrive before I tackle the HxC floppy emulator install
Old 30 April 2011, 22:18   #93
CDTV1991

Its finally in!

I tried many different locations for the floppy controller board and the HxC floppy emulator board inside the CDTV.

I ended up with the floppy controller board tucked underneath the expansion port hole with a long floppy cable running towards the front. The HxC fits vertically in front of the power supply no need to fix it in anyway as it clipped in tightly being some case screws.

The long floppy drive cable is tucked away inside and comes out of the expansion port and into the floppy drive socket. I'll cut the expansion port plate so I can re-fit it.

The SD slot is facing up towards the top of the case so I cut a little slot with my new craft drill. It was a nightmare and a little bit scruffy. Also, the card is dead level with the top of the case, so getting the card out is a long nails job. I'll be tidying this up in due course.

One outstanding (but important) job is that I don't have a floppy drive connector that is long enough to reach between the floppy controller and HxC so I'm hoping to pick one up from maplin tomorrow.

It was never the most mint CDTV to begin with, but I'm glad i've got it fitted in.

Wife's camera was stuck in B+W mode so I took a few chip shots

Last edited by TCD; 30 April 2011 at 22:31. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Use the edit function.
Old 30 April 2011, 22:33   #94
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

@CDTV1991
Please have a look here for future image uploads : http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=58281
Old 30 April 2011, 23:27   #95
CDTV1991

ok
Old 30 April 2011, 23:34   #96
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Well, Steve shared how to do it for PhotoBucket there. Thought it might be interesting.
Old 30 April 2011, 23:42   #97
CDTV1991

and there was me thinking that "the cyber druid" was a totally automated "mod" just reacting to frequently repeated actions.

I'll read the advice once I am of sane mind again (once the drink has worn off!)
Old 30 April 2011, 23:46   #98
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Heh, fair enough
Old 01 May 2011, 00:23   #99
CDTV1991

Great site though; If it wasn't for EAB I'd never consider wasting so much money on a CDTV despite my computing life being defined by an A500+ and an A1200 back in the day.

Retrocomputing.... when vastly more powerful consoles are too cheap.
Old 03 May 2011, 15:56   #100
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
I had a CDTV with matching disk drive, mouse, keyboard and remote. I also had something that gave the cdtv a mouse and joystick port and if memory serves it was called a "Brickette"

I never opened the dam thing because if I had done, I would have took pictures or tried to scan the circuit. Somebody must have done it? This day and age I wouldnt be surprised if somebody could knock one up easily!

I also seem to remember another way of adding mouse and joystick ports by wiring directly to one of the on board chips but I never had the balls to attempt it. I had my cdtv back around 1995/6/7 and I stupidly sold it

EDIT: Nice pron picture of the brickette http://www.cdtv.org.uk/brickette.html

EDIT": Bit more digging with google http://www.amiga-resistance.info/bbo...761&artlang=en