English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. System

Old 16 September 2018, 23:21   #2641
PeterK

Retrofan, I just wanted to create an IFF ILBM image with the 64 base color reference palette for you with Arteffect, but it has always built a palette with only 63 colors. And then I started sorting the color entries and noticed that a red was missing, because the red of the mouse pointer in my FullPalette.prefs was wrong and just a copy of "full red". So I did already rearrange some colors, but better double check that tomorrow again. I'm sure there are more bugs hidden somewhere else. Yesterday I found an unused subroutine "freebitmap" with 64 bytes of very old dead code.
Old 16 September 2018, 23:40   #2642
Mark sealey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
Update to icon.library 46.4.499:

Here comes my brand new toy: HM020 with HAM8 support! This is, as usual, just a first test version, but it works at least on Workbench with HAM8 screen modes, which can be selected with MUI Sreenmode Preferences only: http://aminet.net/package/util/wb/MUIScrMode1_5

You will also need to install my FullPalette.prefs file in ENVARC:Sys with the required 64 HAM8 base colors (don't change the pens 0-63). Some of the system and MWB colors may look a bit different now, but all the base colors can only have certain RGB values, and so the system and MWB colors 0-7 can't be mapped to their perfect RGB settings. For the last 4 colors it's even more difficult to find good compromises. Better remap bad looking MWB icons to the pens 4-7: http://aminet.net/package/util/app/FixMWB

DOpus5 has no real support for HAM screens. It only works when you choose the display setting "Use Workbench", and only with the native Amiga HAM8 screens, not with SuperPlus or HighGfx, which can be used on Workbench, too. On WB 3.0/3.1 it seems that the NewIcons patch can't make the borders transparent anymore. I have to check that.

PS. This and the next full Aminet release are dedicated to Eva (Kira), because she is mobbed very badly by Mr. "gehtjanix", who believes that her identity is just a fake. He wants to destroy her life now, although I've ask him to stop this kind of witch hunting. I'm sure that Eva is a real(ly) nice young woman, unfortunately too young and beautiful for an old and ill man like me. So this is just a small gift for her AGA Amiga.

The update is attached to the 1. post of this thread as always. Don't know why I added it to this post too ??
Hi...my first post o here...just installed your icon library.... awesome job you have done..I'm guessing ham 8 mode is just for aga chipset ?
Old 16 September 2018, 23:56   #2643
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Retrofan, I just wanted to create an IFF ILBM image with the 64 base color reference palette for you with Arteffect, but it has always built a palette with only 63 colors. And then I started sorting the color entries and noticed that a red was missing, because the red of the mouse pointer in my FullPalette.prefs was wrong and just a copy of "full red". So I did already rearrange some colors, but better double check that tomorrow again. I'm sure there are more bugs hidden somewhere else. Yesterday I found an unused subroutine "freebitmap" with 64 bytes of very old dead code.
Thanks a lot. Yep, I'll wait till tomorrow and it will be nice to see what can be used with 64 colors. In any case, you can also use one with few colors like this in 1024x768 and 800x600.

The HAM mode also works with DOPus5 and SuperPlus, but it shows some problems with the colors or transparency in some of them.

Last edited by Retrofan; 17 September 2018 at 00:53.
Old 17 September 2018, 01:06   #2644
PeterK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark sealey View Post
Hi...my first post o here...just installed your icon library.... awesome job you have done..I'm guessing ham 8 mode is just for aga chipset ?
Welcome to EAB, Mark

Yes, the HAM8 mode needs the AGA chipset, but HM020 still supports all other screenmodes and gfx-cards, too. HM020 is an extension of TC020, my TrueColor version. Only my "DelayedImage2" feature and the icon ghosting are disabled in HM020, because that's difficult to realize with Hold and Modify and the latter won't look good.

@Retrofan
... looks like the dark mode wallpaper collection, but I prefer to switch of the monitor and have a beer in the dark now ...
Old 17 September 2018, 01:16   #2645
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
... looks like the dark mode wallpaper collection, but I prefer to switch of the monitor and have a beer in the dark now ...
Yep, you deserve it. I'll get the next round in
Old 17 September 2018, 13:27   #2646
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
Here is the current WIP version of WBDock2:
Ciao Thomas, on WBDock2 (Style Funny) they can be enlarged the icons?
As you can see from this video [ Show youtube player ] my little icons are not well defined
Old 17 September 2018, 17:38   #2647
PeterK

Update to icon.library 46.4.499u:

This small update fixes some wrong red colors in my HAM8 palette file and in the internal CLUT mapping for the 64 base colors. Please copy the new palette to ENVARC:Sys/FullPalette.prefs. I've added an IFF image with the correct CMAP to the package, which you may use to load its palette into your image processing or paint program to optimze your wallpapers or other images for the 64 base colors of the HAM8 screen. There is also an icon with these colors supplied. And I've removed some very old dead code of an unused subroutine.

One little disadvantage of using HAM8 screens is that there are sometimes color glitches when you move windows or other objects over HAM images. I can not avoid that:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HAM_glitches.png
Views:	127
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	59840   Click image for larger version

Name:	HAM8_basecolors.png
Views:	100
Size:	332 Bytes
ID:	59842  

Last edited by PeterK; 17 September 2018 at 17:59.
Old 17 September 2018, 21:08   #2648
PeterK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM in Italy View Post
Tra le novità doltre alla nuova "icon.library_LD020" che rende compatibile la libreria con i sistemi basati AFA-OS ...
Sorry, but what should that statement mean?
I cannot see any relation between LD020 (LineDrawing) and AfA_OS. Can you explain that?
Old 17 September 2018, 21:25   #2649
AMIGASYSTEM

Peter I just wanted to say that you can use it with AFA OS, at the moment I have not found any incompatibility everything works perfectly, moreover your library allows to improve the vision of the icons with Dopus4.

If you do not like that quote, I can delete that sentence (however there was a typo, now I'm correct)
Old 17 September 2018, 21:38   #2650
PeterK

Ok,ok, it's always hard to understand what Google translates, but your statement is not confusing me and maybe other users anymore, since you have removed that reference to "LD020". Thanks!

It would still need a screenshot displaying HAM8 mode instead of TrueColor, but I must admit that I was too lazy to create a nice HAM8 screenshot yet.

Last edited by PeterK; 17 September 2018 at 21:43.
Old 17 September 2018, 21:41   #2651
AMIGASYSTEM

Ok, I'm glad you read my news
Old 17 September 2018, 23:39   #2652
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

There is this program to convert an image to ham. Maybe you could change it to use your palette, dunno.

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...6&postcount=16
Old 18 September 2018, 08:42   #2653
PeterK

No sorry Retrofan, but the idea of a wallpaper in HAM colors was just some unrealistic wishful thinking. I guess, that can not work with the existing abilities of the AGA chipset, but I'm not an expert for AGA hardware.

Please correct me if I'm wrong with my assumptions, but I would imagine that the AGA chipset has only one HAM register for holding the color of the previous pixel in a scanline. That register is probably belonging to the non-existing output layer, a layer that is calculated by the blitter just in time, but doesn't exist anywhere in memory, because the data is going straight forward to your video port hardware.

With only one register that holds the color of the previous pixel everything works just fine as long as you display just a HAM image on your screen without any other layers for windows or other objects like icons. But in all cases where you have more layers which the blitter has to combine to get the resulting output color of a pixel in the scanline, things get more complicated.

It may still work with one register for several layers as long as the HAM objects like my icons are displayed completely without an interruption since the last base color was loaded from the image data. But you will always see these ugly HAM glitches when the blitter switches between the layers in the middle of a HAM object, because then there is no valid information for the color of the previous pixel in this HAM register.

I think you would need one extra register for every layer that the blitter has to deal with to make HAM wallpapers possible, but that was probably too expansive to be realized in the chipset at those days when AGA was designed. Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know.
Old 18 September 2018, 09:37   #2654
AMIGASYSTEM

Ciao Peter, i know that AfA-OS does not interest you, I just wanted to understand a small problem that I found using your library with AfA-OS, can I report it to you?
Old 18 September 2018, 09:42   #2655
PeterK

Yes, of course, maybe I can learn something, but I don't know if I can help you before you start explaining it ...
Old 18 September 2018, 09:56   #2656
AMIGASYSTEM

Yes thank you, for me it's just a curiosity to discover the strange thing that happens.

in practice when I ask the system to show icons for files that do not have an icon, the system imposes a lot of time (seems to stop), but the strange thing that this happens only for some files.

- Point out that your library is not at fault, on an RTG system everything works perfectly
- Point out that AfA-OS with its original library has no problem

I enclose a small video that shows the problem when I use AfA-OS + icon.library

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 18 September 2018 at 23:15.
Old 18 September 2018, 10:18   #2657
PeterK

So, on your partition or drive Microcosm there are 157 GB in use and only 3 icons are displayed. What would you expect? Are there more drawers or files, or even some thousand files?

I have also a partition "UFOs:" (5 GB only!) with several hundred drawers and thousands of files in the root dir, and I have to wait for some (> 50) seconds before the contents is really displayed. This may even take longer on a HDF.

Btw, I tried to find a workaround for your Aros icon problem yesterday, but no success yet. AfA really writes a short trashed IMAG chunk and also several ARGB chunks into these icons. Just skipping the trashed IMAG chunk didn't work, but I don't want to add some extra scanning code to find the valid ARGB chunks somewhere in the remaining data. Maybe there is some wrong chunk size information somewhere again. Still need to check that. With my icon.library installed on AfA_OS it did not create these corrupted Aros icons as you said, only icon_lib.exe does that.

Last edited by PeterK; 18 September 2018 at 10:38.
Old 18 September 2018, 10:49   #2658
AMIGASYSTEM

No Peter the 157 GB does not represent the actual size of the folder but of the Windows partition, "Microcosm" it is a shared folder that is on the Win7 desktop which contains only 34 files, but the problem happens even if I leave 4-5 files even if the folder is on AmigaOS Hard Disk (i repeat it only happens with some types "data" files)

Made the same video using the standard AfA-OS library

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 18 September 2018 at 23:15.
Old 18 September 2018, 15:15   #2659
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Peter there is something that i dont understand: the MuiScreenmode program. It is made for Ham but it cant show a Ham wallpaper. It couldnt either show the icons if it wasnt using your new icon.library... So what for was it made originally?
Old 18 September 2018, 15:46   #2660
PeterK

That's a very good question, Retrofan. 20-25 years ago, when I first tried MUIScrMode on my old A2000, I still thought that a HAM6 Workbench would be done completely by the chipset and would offer me a screen with 4096 colors, but it did never work that way. Maybe the coder of MUIScrMode had the same naive vision? But now, finally, MUIScrMode serves its purpose.

And yes, I still had a totally wrong idea about a HAM workbench myself some years ago, as you can see on this page of this thread.
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=979908#post979908

To make HAM8 possible now, it was required to have a real TrueColor support like in TC020, which I didn't have at those days in 2014.

Concerning the HAM icons, there were some early iconsets using a HAM workbench already available, but these icons are using only the 4 system colors for the base palette (60 colors are unused), and thus they are most of the time just modifying one of their color components, which results in a poor quality. In contrary to these planar HAM image iconsets my icon.library also loads all ordinary non-planar icons and converts them into HAM images.

Last edited by PeterK; 18 September 2018 at 17:58.