English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 11 May 2006, 13:55   #1
synchro
Sending You Back In Time

You know it really beats the hell out of me !!

I literally have one button to fill on the menu of The Tribute II DVD.
I have completed and burnt the DVD twice since yesterday....Once with the Gamebase setup included for Gamebase Amiga...I asked permission and was denied by the creators.....Then i remade it with AIAB included instead.....again refused permission....

Why the hell do people make these things then turn around and say you cant use it if thier are not so legal games or roms included !! ....Do they honestly think its only angels and Priests that use emulation how the hell is AIAB or gamebase supposed to work without the 3.1 rom for starters

Why make front ends for illigal things......its like buying a writer and saying its fine as long as you dont burn with it

A simple " Sure i myself am happy for you to use it but dont quote me on that will you" would do

Last edited by synchro; 11 May 2006 at 14:05.
Old 11 May 2006, 14:07   #2
DamienD
Banned

This is why I left the roms out of my SNES CD / DVD .ISO file.

Authors always have issues with this for various reasons. It's the same many different emulators / front ends. Take MAME for example, you are not allowed to packed the emulators + roms together (even though I've seen this done many times on the internet)

I agree with some of your arguments though, why create front ends and stuff like this then
Old 11 May 2006, 14:19   #3
synchro
Sending You Back In Time

When you think anyone can download the A to Z of amiga games so easily and plenty of DVD's similar to mine anyway it seems pointless ...some are illegally selling them openly.

if nothing else people wont buy the illegal ones if mine is free Theres some justice there somewhere

One day there will be no more parts for Amigas and eventually they will all die an electrical death in some way.......WHO YA GONNA CALL !!!

Anyone says Ghostbusters "doesnt" get a DVD !!!
Old 11 May 2006, 14:43   #4
DamienD
Banned

Exactly, you are not selling anything for profit (and wouldn't dream of it) even though I'm sure you've spent ages of your own personal time / efforts creating this. All you've done is made a great DVD that takes all the hard work out for people who wouldn't know where to begin.

Yup agreed, you can very easily get loads of different types of roms for various systems all over the Internet. None of the authors of emulators / front ends or companies like Nintendo seem to care or do anything to stop these websites...

I guess the only real difference between your DVD and mine is that I have no copyright roms or programs like AIAB or other stuff included where as you have kickstart roms. Is there a way you could leave these out and the user would have to add these themselves if they had them?

Anyway, it is a touchy subject... I hope that you manage to find a way to please all parties and then release your project to the world

Last edited by DamienD; 11 May 2006 at 14:49.
Old 11 May 2006, 15:33   #5
synchro
Sending You Back In Time

Finished !!

I whacked WinFellow on the last button....
See if i can get some of these posted out this weekend

Anyone have any objection to the disclaimer and credit
Or anyone i have forgotton maybe ???

Old 11 May 2006, 15:35   #6
woody57

Exclamation The REAL issue

Whether or not the above named AIAB & Game base Amiga programmes are free to download or NOT the issue is answered in another thread.

Once you make it TOO eazy for people to just "plug & play " with a single disk package it is guarenteed the rip off pirates will copy your FREE disk & sell it as a finished package.

You will NOT be able to stop it, for the same reason the Amiga 32 cd's that were being given away as free downloads from my site at deadwoodinc.net were removed BECAUSE they were found to contain complete BORROWED packages to play them.

Your personal integrity is NOT in question Synchro , I personally beleive you would rather have redhot needles shoved in your eyes than become a profiteer over our beloved platform.

The reality is that even with best intension there are lazy opertunistic assholes who will steal your work in order to make money as they care NOT where it came from or the work that went into it....just HOW MUCH CAN I MAKE....without any effort

Your frustration I understand better to place a document in the package that lists where these 2 "Key" programmes can be downloaded from ....but NOT as a web link....just a text.

Then as the size of these programmes is NOT huge you still have a completed DVD but those with genuine intetrest must take the time to go through a "README FILE" not so hard is it ?

PS LOVE the front end graphics above
Old 11 May 2006, 16:01   #7
synchro
Sending You Back In Time

Agreed there are bound to be assholes who will still try and make money on it.....Not a lot i can do but show that profit was not my intention for the dvd....I made it for the amiga fan community for preservation if i can keep it inhouse i would.....Im no better really...if i see an emu dvd for download il grab it as well for myself ....But because im a collector not a profiteerer