English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga File Server

Old 22 April 2011, 21:07   #21
Tucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Also tried it with the Boondocks archive? Thought that was the topic in the last posts.
I downloaded some/most of the BoonDocks archives, but seeing as I could unarchive them with UNRAR v3.80 from Aminet, I hadn't completed the whole of the downloads since I got the suggestions - so I'd have all part files in one directory. So I haven't managed to report back on whether that works for me as yet, but I will do so, as soon as I can get them all downloaded, and WinRAR'd.

Quote:
I'm currently downloading the mentioned Amiga CD archive to see if there's anything wrong with it btw.
Thanks for going to the trouble of testing the Amiga CD 10 of 95 file for me, it's always good for someone else to test a file, but I'm fairly certain there is something wrong with that file, unfortunately.

Very much appreciated
Old 22 April 2011, 22:12   #22
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Okay, downloaded the RAR, extracted it and mounted it with Daemon Tools. Works a treat. If you only need to file or two from that CD, let me know and I'll upload it to the zone.
Old 22 April 2011, 22:17   #23
mai

I can confirm, that some burning software has problem with this ISO(Amiga cdrom - 10 1995 - bbs - Amiga.iso), old version of "CDBurnerXP" dont like this ISO, but after an update it is recognized.
Old 23 April 2011, 00:05   #24
1time
Amiga Lover

Just to clarify something. If you first mount it with Deamon tools and then burn it, it will work perfectly.

BUT, you need ALL the files and then extract the first .RAR "not really true" file as it will automatic look for each .rar file "married" to the package.

I have them all and tried them just to make sure it works.

Last edited by 1time; 23 April 2011 at 00:12.
Old 23 April 2011, 03:28   #25
Tucker

Quote:
Okay, downloaded the RAR, extracted it and mounted it with Daemon Tools. Works a treat. If you only need to file or two from that CD, let me know and I'll upload it to the zone.
I appreciate you going to this trouble for me, many thanks, , but surely no-one should have had to go to this PC based - mounting a virtual CD situation to test the file. I would have thought that Nero 8, which I predominantly use on my PC would have recognised this ISO image, but it doesn't, and of course none of the available Amiga CD/DVD writing software recognises it either.

Strangely enough with having the problems with this ISO that I've had I just yesterday downloaded Daemon Tools LITE, which I'd never downloaded before or heard of, yet virtually at the same time I downloaded WinRAR, which I have used before, but how coincidental is that.

So, I've now installed Daemon Tools LITE, and sure enough without further problem the ISO file was mounted, and I was able to extract the files I had been trying to track down from the virtual CD.

I may try to extract the DVDs once I have all the parts downloaded, but they surely are a weird way to upload a DVD image, as a collective/hive, but notwithstanding I appreciate those who have put in the effort for these files to be made available for us all to benefit from.

So, A big thank you to them, and a big thank you to all of you who have pointed me in the right direction, it is all very much appreciated, and of course if I could help anyone in the future with a similar problem I can now offer some expertise on the subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mai View Post
I can confirm, that some burning software has problem with this ISO(Amiga cdrom - 10 1995 - bbs - Amiga.iso), old version of "CDBurnerXP" dont like this ISO, but after an update it is recognized.
So, I'm glad to know that I was justified in claiming there is a problem with the ISO file. Did you manage to test it in Nero 8, which is what I have, and/or any of the Amiga CD/DVD burning software still available? As I'd also be interested to know the result of that being tested by someone else, other than me.

How 'old' was the CDBurnerXP software you used? Are we talking about the last update to that software being prior to 2000 or only last year, or somewhere nearer to either timeframe? What I really mean is, the Amiga software hasn't been updated for a while, years in some cases, so was the CDBurnerXP package as old as MakeCD, or BurnIt, or even FryingPan?

Was there any other Amiga or PC or Mac or Linux CD mastering software you also tried it with, that should be avoided due to the file not being recognised correctly?

By the way, many thanks for taking the trouble to check the file, Mai

Last edited by TCD; 23 April 2011 at 09:14. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Use multi-quote.
Old 23 April 2011, 10:24   #26
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
LOL have a good sleep tucker and wake up refreshed heheheh best laff I`ve had this morning

now I not tested any of this on the amiga so I do see your point there but I can confirm on the pc everything works as it should and I don`t use nero as it became to bloated for my needs

Just because you don`t understand how files were spread in years gone by when we were lucking if one repository could hold all of 4gig dons`t mean that the method dos not work also we have broadband now as I expect u have. Imagen downloading all those bits of boondoks only to find 3 parts were corrupted u would only need to get those parts and not the full archive

as learning curves go for getting files this is fairly easy

edit
I use totalcommader with plugins to allow me see in archives,ISOs,adfs,dms,lhas and lzxs well worth checking out
it also dose alot of other usefull stuff when working with files
Old 24 April 2011, 00:04   #27
Tucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfrog View Post
LOL have a good sleep tucker and wake up refreshed heheheh best laff I`ve had this morning
Now, where was I, oh yes, more downloading from EAB .. personally my favourite

Quote:
now I not tested any of this on the amiga so I do see your point there but I can confirm on the pc everything works as it should and I don`t use nero as it became to bloated for my needs
OK, just PC software used to test/recompile files.

Quote:
Just because you don`t understand how files were spread in years gone by when we were lucking if one repository could hold all of 4gig dons`t mean that the method dos not work also we have broadband now as I expect u have. Imagen downloading all those bits of boondoks only to find 3 parts were corrupted u would only need to get those parts and not the full archive
OK, valid point.

Quote:
as learning curves go for getting files this is fairly easy
I've learnt a little here, which is always good, keeps the mind chugging along.

Quote:
edit
I use totalcommader with plugins to allow me see in archives,ISOs,adfs,dms,lhas and lzxs well worth checking out
it also dose alot of other usefull stuff when working with files
Total Commander is shareware I understand, so I'll stick with Daemon Tools LITE, to view ISOs for the time being as it's freeware, and all the other files I can view I can view on my Amiga anyway, but many thanks for letting me know what software I can use if I get stuck again

Thanks all, I've managed to extract the files I was after with just the Amiga CD 10 1995, which I'd already downloaded it was just the problem burning it, which I eventually didn't need to do anyway as I just mounted the ISO with Daemon Tools LITE, and extracted the files I'd been after.
Old 24 April 2011, 00:06   #28
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Hurray! Good to hear it's sorted.
Old 24 April 2011, 17:22   #29
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

\o/ & ribbits
Old 24 April 2011, 18:34   #30
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker View Post
Total Commander is shareware I understand, so I'll stick with Daemon Tools LITE, to view ISOs for the time being as it's freeware, and all the other files I can view I can view on my Amiga anyway, but many thanks for letting me know what software I can use if I get stuck again
I never liked Daemon Tools. It crashed too often for me.

I use VirtualCloneDrive as CD drive emulation. http://www.elby.ch/en/fun/software/index.html

And 7zip to view ISOs without mounting them. http://www.7-zip.org/
7zip can read almost everything which hosts other files. Even executable installer files, MSI files and such.
Old 25 April 2011, 02:35   #31
Tucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
I never liked Daemon Tools. It crashed too often for me.

I use VirtualCloneDrive as CD drive emulation. http://www.elby.ch/en/fun/software/index.html
OK will give it a try, as I see it's freeware?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
And 7zip to view ISOs without mounting them. http://www.7-zip.org/
7zip can read almost everything which hosts other files. Even executable installer files, MSI files and such.
OK, I seem to remember I used 7zip a while ago, but I'll give it another try seeing as you recommend it so highly.

Thanks
Old 25 April 2011, 10:14   #32
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Good point thomas those tools are so embedded in my system I for get they are 3rd party apps