English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 20 April 2020, 22:53   #41
fgh

Sounds good Geezer. DRS is an interesting addition, but I also love the game just as it is, so perhaps make it an option?

Lots of bonus points if you add supports for 360 wheels, haha!
There are none that I know of for amiga, but you could always build your own
(I'm doing three for my 3 player super sprint mame cab)

Edit: For me an interlace screenmode would always be a turn off for any game. I could get around it with flickerfixers but many can't.
If supporting optional hires interlace no flicker would be possible, even with the slower chip ram and 31khz requirement, it would be a huge plus. (I don't suppose you'd consider adding RTG support)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	360.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	542.2 KB
ID:	66957  

Last edited by fgh; 20 April 2020 at 23:01. Reason: interlace
Old 20 April 2020, 22:54   #42
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

There's hardly anything happening on screen in the coinop... surely an A500 version would be a breeze
Old 20 April 2020, 23:01   #43
nikosidis

DRS sounds clever and super fun!
If this will be released maybe it could be possible for others to create alternative tracks?
Track editor.
Old 20 April 2020, 23:26   #44
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikosidis View Post
DRS sounds clever and super fun!
If this will be released maybe it could be possible for others to create alternative tracks?
Track editor.
I would certainly release the specs for someone to build a track editor if they wanted to, it wouldn't be too difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanScott View Post
There's hardly anything happening on screen in the coinop... surely an A500 version would be a breeze
I doubt I'd have enough DMA slots in hi-res.
Old 21 April 2020, 22:58   #45
mcgeezer

Here I've now got some basic drone car capability working.

I'm simply recording each car into a data file and then replaying it, I can change the speed of how fast each replay is done and select the car it is applied to.

- I have a bug with the Green drone for some reason
- The sprite priorities are working for the drones I just didn't bloody record them in the files.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 22 April 2020, 09:51   #46
jotd
This cat is no more

It's taking shape!! impressive in such a short span of time!
Old 22 April 2020, 10:59   #47
nikosidis

Yes, are you working full time on this
Old 22 April 2020, 11:04   #48
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikosidis View Post
Yes, are you working full time on this
No, I'm able to do it in a very short space of time because I have most of the routines already done from other games or projects.

Currently doing about an hour or two each evening between 7 and 10pm.
Old 22 April 2020, 11:19   #49
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

^
Old 22 April 2020, 11:47   #50
fryguy

i played this a lot on C64, the music on the c64 version was pretty cool too imo.
Old 22 April 2020, 13:02   #51
Havie

Amazing stuff and you are a fast worker...
Old 26 April 2020, 20:06   #52
mcgeezer

Here's an update on the collision detection stuff I've been doing on Super Sprint.

I did a voice over on this one.

[ Show youtube player ]

I'm not sure if I'm over complicating the collision detection. It works in two passes, a car mask is checked with the crack layout to determine if it is on terrain on or not, then a second check is done to work out the direction of travel and where on the track the car is.

I couldn't really think of any other way to do it. I'm open to suggestion though.

Graeme
Old 26 April 2020, 21:40   #53
jotd
This cat is no more

you mean for computer cars right? make the computer cars home to the closest homing point of an undrawn line across the circuit. Cars must not take a shortcut because someone pushed them and they missed a mandatory loop (well, in supercars 2 they "cheat" like that but not sure for super sprint, and not sure how much they can be pushed)

Not really a problem either way. Say points are numbered 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 ... a car starts aiming point 0 then once it's reached it aims point 1, ... and so on. If it can't choose it will choose the lowest ranking point besides the previous ones already met in this lap. If there's a problem and the closest 2 points are 4 and 3, okay, you missed point 2, but you choose point 3 in order to avoid to go backwards to much. Reset the met points at each lap.

Anyway, keep it simple, or it will be impossible to debug/tune.
Old 26 April 2020, 21:56   #54
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
you mean for computer cars right? make the computer cars home to the closest homing point of an undrawn line across the circuit. Cars must not take a shortcut because someone pushed them and they missed a mandatory loop (well, in supercars 2 they "cheat" like that but not sure for super sprint, and not sure how much they can be pushed)

Not really a problem either way. Say points are numbered 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 ... a car starts aiming point 0 then once it's reached it aims point 1, ... and so on. If it can't choose it will choose the lowest ranking point besides the previous ones already met in this lap. If there's a problem and the closest 2 points are 4 and 3, okay, you missed point 2, but you choose point 3 in order to avoid to go backwards to much. Reset the met points at each lap.

Anyway, keep it simple, or it will be impossible to debug/tune.
No, i purely mean the player cars for collisions and what they do when they react at different speeds/angles.

The computer cars i know how to do.
Old 26 April 2020, 22:16   #55
jotd
This cat is no more

ah right!

You can check the corners of the car. 2 corners hit the scenery: clean bounce, only 1 corner: deviate maybe check if solved with deviation. Fast-check several angle & speed scenarii (but not too much) to see if it solves. The circuits should be "convex" enough so a solution can be found most of the time.

At some point if car is too fast and bouncing can't be solved make it explode like in the original game.
Old 26 April 2020, 23:00   #56
mcgeezer

Quote:
ah right!

You can check the corners of the car. 2 corners hit the scenery: clean bounce, only 1 corner: deviate maybe check if solved with deviation.

Fast-check several angle & speed scenarii (but not too much) to see if it solves. The circuits should be "convex" enough so a solution can be found most of the time.
Checking two corners of car with a sprite mask against a semi circle on any angle is probably beyond my maths capability, i know sine, cosine and tangent and that’s about it. I’ll keep on the path the method i have and see how i fair.
Old 26 April 2020, 23:11   #57
jotd
This cat is no more

I mean: if only one corner is outside bounds, deviate, else bounce. But sometimes such solutions are easier to describe than to implement. I think I did that in my Supercars 3 remake, but I used a lot of geometry stuff in Java. Not the same tools, not the same CPU usage either.
Old 27 April 2020, 00:48   #58
DanielAllsopp

I actually used your SC3 route and track information when I attempted a port to iOS of SC2. I even wrote a track editor for macOS too.

[ Show youtube player ]

That’s a pretty old demo too, the last code I had had the CPU cars running against two possible routes with decisions being made on random numbers based on a number of parameters such as speed, position, nearest neighbour car etc.

I had a lot of fun coding that; reading these comments brings a lot of memories back about figuring everything out. Obviously my C skills are better than my ASM skills.
Old 27 April 2020, 00:53   #59
jotd
This cat is no more

awesome! Looks slick. Hoping that you're finishing that sometime. CPU cars aren't the hardest, you seem to have a lot already done. No need for 2-player

In C it's more work than in Java, though. But if I had to go back I would have written everything in C++/SDL...
Old 27 April 2020, 01:06   #60
DanielAllsopp

Quote:
awesome! Looks slick. Hoping that you're finishing that sometime. CPU cars aren't the hardest, you seem to have a lot already done. No need for 2-player

In C it's more work than in Java, though. But if I had to go back I would have written everything in C++/SDL...
Yeah, it's just on the back burner at the minute. Hopefully it'll see the light of day some day soon. Life tends to get in the way of things at the minute