English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 29 October 2018, 22:07   #1
Yesideez
(2b)||!(2b)

Linux and amiga partitions

Just installed a 2TB HD into my Linux Mint PC and it asked me to create a new partition table.

I noticed that "amiga" was present but not wanting to give all 2TB to WinUAE, I had to select "gpt" instead.

Went to create a small 4GB partition for WinUAE and went to format it - no "amiga".

Is it possible to set up a small partition as Amiga on a hard drive? I'm using Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon.

If it's not possible, I don't mind sticking to using PC0: set as a folder on my PC and using a 16GB HDF but I'd rather have a small dedicated partition on a drive acting as an Amiga hard drive instyead.
Old 30 October 2018, 13:10   #2
Jope
-

You should definitely use GPT or MBR partitions on your hard disk, this is a PC where it is connected, so RDB partitions would not be a good match.

You said you're using Linux, which means you would be running WinUAE under Wine? As far as I understand, there is currently no direct block device access available via Wine, so a PC directory or HDF drive image would be your choices.
Old 30 October 2018, 13:21   #3
Hewitson

Or possibly FS-UAE (but I have no idea if using a real HDD is implemented).
Old 30 October 2018, 13:34   #4
Locutus

accessing a real HDD with fs-uae works, just specify the block device.

For mounting it using the Linux kernel affs support, you will need to have Amiga RDB Partition map support in your kernel too. This isn't buildable as a module and some distributions might not include it by default.

If its there you should automagically see /dev/sd?[1,2,3,etc] pop up.
Old 30 October 2018, 14:41   #5
Jope
-

And if it's an Amiga partition inside a GPT or MBR disk, then:

- if you made an RDB inside the GPT partition, you must losetup -fP the partition to get the kernel to read the RDB partitions from inside your GPT partition, then mount your newly found loop partitions
- if you didn't make an RDB inside, you can just mount the GPT partition directly with mount -t affs