English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 09 April 2016, 23:43   #241
dJOS

Gotek and HxC working together

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_HxC2001 View Post

Ok but it'd be nice not to have multiple tools to mess with, it'd be much better to have a check box when both exporting to hfe or batch converting to hfe that gave us the option to sort the files on the target location.

That way you can make sure the firmware and menu software isn't moved as they are sensitive to being first files on the sd card.

I have both your rev c hardware and Gotek's with HxC firmware so this world be really helpful option for me.

I have the 1541u2 in my c64 and it does ask this stuff by itself, not having sort options and press "g" key to jump to first file starting with "g" has been a source of irritation.

Ps for some hw pr0n, here is my a500 with HxC rev c.
Old 09 April 2016, 23:56   #242
Jeff_HxC2001

do you know that there is a file search/filter function into the hxc file selector?
Old 10 April 2016, 00:17   #243
dJOS

Nope, I'm used to just hitting the key as described above.
Old 10 April 2016, 00:23   #244
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator

Quote:
Correction : It's 250 images available on selector config. (for the moment !)

http://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_d...OBOOT_beta.zip
Thanks for this, Jeff! It's much better than the one I had before and it fixed the menu reboot bug! Thanks!
Old 10 April 2016, 14:09   #245
turrican9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dJOS View Post
Ok but it'd be nice not to have multiple tools to mess with, it'd be much better to have a check box when both exporting to hfe or batch converting to hfe that gave us the option to sort the files on the target location.

That way you can make sure the firmware and menu software isn't moved as they are sensitive to being first files on the sd card.

I have both your rev c hardware and Gotek's with HxC firmware so this world be really helpful option for me.

I have the 1541u2 in my c64 and it does ask this stuff by itself, not having sort options and press "g" key to jump to first file starting with "g" has been a source of irritation.

Ps for some hw pr0n, here is my a500 with HxC rev c.
Looks really nice. Nice to see you have not slaughtered a CDTV keyboard and used stickers instead

I think any type of sort option would be way to slow on the floppy bus. It's better to have all games put into letter folders and use FAT sorter for sorting. To make things fast and practical there is only one good solution on a floppy emulator: The more you can assign, the better. Any search function within the file selector would be way too slow anyway.

Edit: I missread. You did not ask for sorting on the floppy emulator file selector itself.

Last edited by turrican9; 10 April 2016 at 14:15.
Old 10 April 2016, 17:45   #246
gorky

Jeff, the HxC Floppy Emulator Manager for Amiga should be improved. The firmware should follow it. The navigation is terrible. My gotek's buttons once clicked and while keep pressed reset to 000 - no cycle through slots. But the main thing is I can't easly go next and previous slot in manager - no such function for previous slots... How do you feel when you misclicked 30 slot and have to click now 250 positions? faster is resetting Amiga. This is really something you must look after.

Function Keys (1/2):

Up/Down/Right/Left: Browse SD/USB files
-seems clear and right

Right Shift : Go back to the top of the folder
-OK

Left A / ENTER: Insert selected file in the current slot to A: Right A- in slot B (confusing)
-why bother Amiga Keys for it, the better I think are keys 1 and 2 as clear in meaning.

Left ALT and Right ALT - confusing! I use left ALT to assign and right ALT just skips to next slot. Why not having a nice COMBO:

1 - Assign to slot A
2 - Assign to slot B
LEFT ALT+1 - Assign A and goto previous slot
LEFT ALT+2 - Assign B and goto previous slot
RIGHT ALT+1 - Assign A and goto next slot
RIGHT ALT+2 - Assign B and goto next slot
LEFT ALT - goto previous slot
RIGHT ALT - goto next slot
???

TAB - it doesn't work for me (A600)
There is no possibility to escape from assigning ADF to slot after ENTER. It's very confusing...

Could you please take care of that? thx in advance
Old 10 April 2016, 19:26   #247
turrican9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorky View Post
Jeff, the HxC Floppy Emulator Manager for Amiga should be improved. The firmware should follow it. The navigation is terrible. My gotek's buttons once clicked and while keep pressed reset to 000 - no cycle through slots. But the main thing is I can't easly go next and previous slot in manager - no such function for previous slots... How do you feel when you misclicked 30 slot and have to click now 250 positions? faster is resetting Amiga. This is really something you must look after.

Function Keys (1/2):

-seems clear and right

-OK

Left A / ENTER: Insert selected file in the current slot to A: Right A- in slot B (confusing)
-why bother Amiga Keys for it, the better I think are keys 1 and 2 as clear in meaning.

Left ALT and Right ALT - confusing! I use left ALT to assign and right ALT just skips to next slot. Why not having a nice COMBO:

1 - Assign to slot A
2 - Assign to slot B
???

There is no possibility to escape from assigning ADF to slot after ENTER. It's very confusing...

This is some of the things I was wondering about. Clearly the Cortex firmware works much better right now. For me at least. I think I will just stick to the Cortex as the only benefit I can see the HXC firmware brings is extended ADF. I can only think about Cannon Fodder 1 needing it for savedisk.

Cortex can assign 999 slots. It can cycle very fast through the slots by holding the forward or backwards button. By holding both buttons you go back to track zero. It's also very easy to assign slots in the selector. Just navigate with the joystick and choose ADF with joystick button then place it in the slot you want. It's even possible to remove from the slot without the need for a restart.
Old 10 April 2016, 20:00   #248
gorky

I could manage and play cannon fodder on Winuae...
I could buy a cortex softwared gotek... maybe if it is difficult to achieve program manager suitable for everyone's needs.
Old 10 April 2016, 22:31   #249
Jeff_HxC2001

Quote:

Function Keys (1/2):

-seems clear and right

-OK

1 - Assign to slot A
2 - Assign to slot B
???

It appears that you are disturbed by all these keys. I have simplified the interface with this new version :

The needed keys to use are now : the Arrows, Enter, Escape,Backspace, F10.
Let me know if you prefer this.

Last edited by Jeff_HxC2001; 10 April 2016 at 22:41.
Old 10 April 2016, 23:01   #250
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

That's actually much better I think, thanks a lot.
Old 10 April 2016, 23:40   #251
dJOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by turrican9 View Post
Looks really nice. Nice to see you have not slaughtered a CDTV keyboard and used stickers instead

Edit: I missread. You did not ask for sorting on the floppy emulator file selector itself.

Cheers, yeah I'm not a fan of mutilating other Amiga's like that.

Correct, I'm asking for the pc/mac to have sorting options built in.
Old 10 April 2016, 23:47   #252
turrican9

Quote:
I could manage and play cannon fodder on Winuae...
I could buy a cortex softwared gotek... maybe if it is difficult to achieve program manager suitable for everyone's needs.
You could also just use an external floppy drive to save for cannon fodder. You only need one real floppy diskette
Old 11 April 2016, 00:03   #253
dJOS

Quote:
It appears that you are disturbed by all these keys. I have simplified the interface with this new version :

Excellent, I find the old UI to be unintuitive too.

Can't wait to have a play.
Old 11 April 2016, 01:07   #254
R-Typer

Jeff, thank you for the new version and for improving hxc gotek!!!
Old 11 April 2016, 07:28   #255
Jeff_HxC2001

Quote:

Additionnal note : This file selector still compatible with the classic SD HxC too. So improvements go to both devices .
Old 11 April 2016, 20:27   #256
gorky

Quote:

Jeff, now I believe this project is your "child"
Only don't stop improving it.
TAB key should swap in drive selection the slots from A to B if you stick with this new method.

What about firmware kept pressed for 000? This ain't good, you should follow good functions of cortex firmware IMO like fast searching while key pressed (with increased speed while keep pressing).

And what about the good solution for HEX slot numbering?
You could increase to 1000 slots without problem. HEXed 4095 slots means increased config file, but you might want to optimize it. 16 bytes for spacing slots is rather much waste if the config is read to memory, but I think FW reads the proper config file offset, am I right?

One my opinion on "poor" ASCII display on 7 seg - this was here or elsewhere described - this is not so bad idea. Let me elaborate on it:
ADF/HFE... truncated filename could be scrolled while "no key pressed" and at the end 5 sec with slot number displayed - one click could break displaying poor text and switch to slot number display then "next/previous" slot function might work if slot number is being displayed.

Manager should be still improved, if I am with free time, I will spend more time on it
One question Jeff, could you prepare .UPD file with latest cortex firmware? But the "reversible" of course UPD, that we may still revert back to UPD with HxC FW? This could be great for "like me", trying to test this gotek on the other FW without losing your precious FW

greetz.
Old 11 April 2016, 21:22   #257
Jeff_HxC2001

Quote:
Jeff, now I believe this project is your "child"
Only don't stop improving it.
TAB key should swap in drive selection the slots from A to B if you stick with this new method.
i am not sure to understand.

Quote:
Manager should be still improved, if I am with free time, I will spend more time on it
What do you want to do ?

Quote:
What about firmware kept pressed for 000? This ain't good, you should follow good functions of cortex firmware IMO like fast searching while key pressed (with increased speed while keep pressing).
No. I will follow the gotek function : One button for +1, the other for +10

Quote:
One question Jeff, could you prepare .UPD file with latest cortex firmware? But the "reversible" of course UPD, that we may still revert back to UPD with HxC FW? This could be great for "like me", trying to test this gotek on the other FW without losing your precious FW
Already done. Have a look into the "other" folder into the firmware archive.
Old 12 April 2016, 00:08   #258
turrican9

Quote:
No. I will follow the gotek function : One button for +1, the other for +10
So no button to go backwards? Naahhh... The Cortex implementation is superior to this. Also +10 per button press is not suited for even 250 assigned slots. With Cortex firmware when you hold the button it will count very fast after holding the button for a short while. And you use the other button to do the same backwards.

Your way to track 250: Click +10... next click track 20 .. click track 30.. click .. track 40 and so on.. 25 clicks you would need. And if you had 999 slots.. about 100 button clicks. with a backwards button you could at least go from track 000 directly to 999.

Cortex: Hold forward button and in a few seconds you will be at 250. Or even easier, click backwards button if you are at a low number and go straight to the last assigned slot. It will also skip/jump past unassigned slots. Anyway, Cortex has 999 slots as we know. I was just making an example.

Last edited by turrican9; 12 April 2016 at 00:32.
Old 12 April 2016, 07:43   #259
Jeff_HxC2001

@turrican9
Sorry this just what some HxC firmware used :

Quote:
Hi, first thanks for this Gotek firmware. It's working really well and great support when I was having trouble flashing the boot loader. My fault, I didn't realise there was a difference between a RS232 serial adapter and a TTL serial adapter. It turns out you *must* have a TTL adapter.

The firmware is working well in index mode for me but it takes a very long time to cycle through the images. Could the next firmware work slightly differently please?

If it had the option to use the buttons to change the image same as the gotek firmware, right to change 1s, left to change 10s, both together to change 100s it would be much easier to use.

Thank you.

And about your speed, how much do you want ? 25/50/100 images per second ? And which speed timeout do you want 1s,5s, more ?

Last edited by Jeff_HxC2001; 12 April 2016 at 08:01.
Old 12 April 2016, 13:48   #260
demolition
Unregistered User

I have a Gotek with Cortex firmware that I plan to upgrade to HxC, however I cannot get the STM software to connect. I wanted to try reflashing the Cortex firmware so I know it works before I get the HxC license. I have tried two different TTL serial adapters on two different PCs and it seems that there is some communication, however it says unrecognized device. It does this the first time after a reset and after this it just times out until I reset the Gotek again. I have tried countless times, with/without resetting the Gotek. I am using W10 x64, so any idea whether trying with an older PC (maybe XP) should have better success?

I have tried with the default 115200 but also other speeds, down to 19200.

Both TTL adapters work fine by doing a loopback test in a terminal program.