English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Old Rare Games

Old 19 April 2006, 04:23   #1
Ze_ro

REQ: Act of War

This is an old shareware squad-based combat game. Aminet seems to have the manual, and I found this review of the game, but all my other web searches have failed. Is this game still available anywhere?
Old 19 April 2006, 15:16   #2
Solid Snake
Wonderful World Of Amiga

Wink

Yes, simply point your browser to http://www.nic.funet.fi/pub/amiga/games/strategy/
and enjoy!!
Old 20 April 2006, 04:56   #3
Ze_ro

Thanks a lot!
Old 22 September 2006, 23:42   #4
Solid Snake
Wonderful World Of Amiga

The above link gives you the shareware version of this turn-based game. Was the full game (with mission editor) ever released? Put it in the Zone, please.
Old 27 June 2011, 23:08   #5
Jops

Nope, I even tried sending money to the author and I never got any registered version.

Old 11 October 2018, 17:54   #6
obscureUsername

Around 1994 I did get my Mum to write a cheque for me and sent it away for the registered version as I was desperate for the extra missions and editor, but never heard anything back (I'm sure the cheque wasn't cashed!).

I did some Googling and think I found the programmer's Facebook page (looks like he's a game developer in Vancouver now). I tried sending him a message asking about the registered version - no idea if he even received it. Not had a reply yet, but if I do get one I'll update this thread.
Old 11 October 2018, 18:08   #7
DamienD
Banned

In TOSEC there are these files:
... Act of War (1992-09-01)(Smith, David)(SW)[AMOS].zip
... Act of War (1992-09-01)(Smith, David)(SW)[h 17-Bit Software][AMOS].zip
... Act of War (1992-09-01)(Smith, David)(SW)[m bamcopy][AMOS].zip
I've just put these in The Zone! but not sure if they're what you're after? They are not in TOSEC:
... ActOfWar-A.zip
... ActOfWar-B.zip
Old 12 October 2018, 11:03   #8
obscureUsername

Wow, great, thanks! Yes I've checked the TOSEC versions but hadn't spotted the versions you uploaded to The Zone before. I can't seem to be able to access The Zone (it might be because I'm a fairly new member), but I did see the following files via the EAB search which I'm assuming are the same as the ones you uploaded:

/~Uploads/Ian/Unsorted Amiga/dms-lha/DMS-LHA 01 - BBS - 2002 - AMIGA/ADFs/ActOfWar-A.zip
/~Uploads/Ian/Unsorted Amiga/dms-lha/DMS-LHA 01 - BBS - 2002 - AMIGA/ADFs/ActOfWar-B.zip

...each contains an adf file. Disc A appears to be version 1.1 of the shareware version with the same 3 missions available elsewhere.
Disc B is labelled 'SMC165c2' (that might mean something to someone so thought I'd mention it) and contains no mention of Act of War but seems to contain some freeware applications:
FHSpread (A spreadsheet editor)
InScript (some kind of text/image editor from what I can see)
runIt (not sure what this, seems to be something to do with launching other applications, or possibly for generating scripts to do this?)
... and also what I think is a song file, ToBeLoved.MED

... so very odd! I'm thinking either this was mislabelled as Act of War disc B, or possibly they could be used for editing mission files. However I tried opening a few of the mission and map files in these editors and haven't had any luck. Maybe someone else could shed some light on this, but I'm stuck for now!

However, the search also lead me to this file...
/~Uploads/Aladin/WHDLOAD generic/ActOfWar-WHDL.lha
...which as the name suggests does seem to be a WHDL version of Act of War, which I've not been able to get running yet but I'll keep trying (I think a font file is missing or is in the wrong location?), however looking through the files it appears to be v1.4 of the shareware version (the versions on TOSEC are v1.0) with 2 additional missions (Confrontation and Firestorm)!

When I get the chance I'll try and get the 1.4 WHDL version working and have a proper look, then I might contact the person who uploaded this version and see if they can shed any light on it. If nothing else comes to it I've found 2 further Act of War missions that I never knew existed so that's a win
Old 12 October 2018, 12:40   #9
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by obscureUsername View Post
Wow, great, thanks! Yes I've checked the TOSEC versions but hadn't spotted the versions you uploaded to The Zone before. I can't seem to be able to access The Zone (it might be because I'm a fairly new member)
How do I get access to The Zone?

Quote:
but I did see the following files via the EAB search which I'm assuming are the same as the ones you uploaded:

/~Uploads/Ian/Unsorted Amiga/dms-lha/DMS-LHA 01 - BBS - 2002 - AMIGA/ADFs/ActOfWar-A.zip
/~Uploads/Ian/Unsorted Amiga/dms-lha/DMS-LHA 01 - BBS - 2002 - AMIGA/ADFs/ActOfWar-B.zip

...each contains an adf file. Disc A appears to be version 1.1 of the shareware version with the same 3 missions available elsewhere.
v1.1 shareware

...and yes it's the same .ADFs as above on the EAB File Server.

Quote:
Disc B is labelled 'SMC165c2' (that might mean something to someone so thought I'd mention it) and contains no mention of Act of War but seems to contain some freeware applications:
FHSpread (A spreadsheet editor)
InScript (some kind of text/image editor from what I can see)
runIt (not sure what this, seems to be something to do with launching other applications, or possibly for generating scripts to do this?)
... and also what I think is a song file, ToBeLoved.MED

... so very odd! I'm thinking either this was mislabelled as Act of War disc B, or possibly they could be used for editing mission files. However I tried opening a few of the mission and map files in these editors and haven't had any luck. Maybe someone else could shed some light on this, but I'm stuck for now!
Most definitely a mislabelled disk

Quote:
However, the search also lead me to this file...
/~Uploads/Aladin/WHDLOAD generic/ActOfWar-WHDL.lha
...which as the name suggests does seem to be a WHDL version of Act of War, which I've not been able to get running yet but I'll keep trying (I think a font file is missing or is in the wrong location?), however looking through the files it appears to be v1.4 of the shareware version (the versions on TOSEC are v1.0) with 2 additional missions (Confrontation and Firestorm)!

When I get the chance I'll try and get the 1.4 WHDL version working and have a proper look, then I might contact the person who uploaded this version and see if they can shed any light on it. If nothing else comes to it I've found 2 further Act of War missions that I never knew existed so that's a win
If you use a hard drive then you're probably better off just grabbing this and extracting: http://www.nic.funet.fi/pub/amiga/ga...tOfWar-1.4.lha

...which is what Aladin would have used to make the "generic" WHDLoad version.
Old 12 October 2018, 15:42   #10
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

v1.4 (from Damiens link above) is a shareware version too, adf in the zone.

Last edited by Retroplay; 12 October 2018 at 15:47.