English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Amiga Forever

Old 08 January 2015, 01:04   #1
steve_mynott

AF ISO extraction under Linux wine?

I'm interested in buying Amiga Forever but don't run Windows.

I believe the ISO extraction/download uses a Windows binary

Does anyone know if it works under Linux wine?
Old 16 February 2015, 23:52   #2
waltc
Martian Anachronism

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_mynott View Post
I'm interested in buying Amiga Forever but don't run Windows.

I believe the ISO extraction/download uses a Windows binary

Does anyone know if it works under Linux wine?
Probably the least of your worries... WinUAE is an emulation running on Windows, and you're suggesting that WinUAE run on top of another emulator, WINE, on top of Linux--so there's Linux running a Windows emulation, which itself is running an Amiga emulation...need lots of cpu horsepower, assuming it would even work predictably, which is by no means assured, I should think. Interesting, though...! You might want to check with WINE HQ and query the forum as to possible support of WinUAE...as maybe someone else is already doing something similar...
Old 17 February 2015, 03:57   #3
bcripon

I have AF 2013 installed (I also have AF 2014) under Wine on Mac OS X. It has been a long time since I ran the the ISO creation tool. I think it works under Wine, but I am not 100% sure of that. I may have ran it on my Windows VM to create the ISO. If you can take the Windows file to somewhere with a PC, that will probably be the best way to create the ISO.

Since I use CrossOver (vendor-supported Wine) most of the time, there was a preset package for WinUAE. Honestly, on both my old and new Macs, speed is not a problem. The real problem is that you will have display problems with the main AF window. You can work around them, but it really is not worth it. There are also quite a few dependencies you need under Wine to make WinUAE work.

I purchased AF simply so I had licensed versions of the classic Kickstart and Workbench releases. Paying $29 for that was obvious to me.

However, for actually playing Amiga games, I use Frode's FS-UAE (http://fs-uae.net). It has native versions for Linux and OS X. It is a much better experience than dealing with AF under Wine. I did use AF under Wine before FS-UAE was developed, but now FS-UAE is a much better experience for non-Windows users.

Bob C
Old 17 February 2015, 11:25   #4
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltc View Post
Probably the least of your worries... WinUAE is an emulation running on Windows, and you're suggesting that WinUAE run on top of another emulator, WINE, on top of Linux--so there's Linux running a Windows emulation, which itself is running an Amiga emulation...need lots of cpu horsepower, assuming it would even work predictably, which is by no means assured, I should think. Interesting, though...! You might want to check with WINE HQ and query the forum as to possible support of WinUAE...as maybe someone else is already doing something similar...
Sorry to be pedant, but WINE = WINE Is Not an Emulator

It's just a compatibility layer. It does add overhead, but it's negligible. Also its compatibility is quite high.

I've heard around that WinUAE works quite well on WINE. Maybe you can step into an occasional unimplemented feature, but it should mostly work!
Old 17 February 2015, 22:53   #5
waltc
Martian Anachronism

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenam View Post
Sorry to be pedant, but WINE = WINE Is Not an Emulator

It's just a compatibility layer. It does add overhead, but it's negligible. Also its compatibility is quite high.

I've heard around that WinUAE works quite well on WINE. Maybe you can step into an occasional unimplemented feature, but it should mostly work!
Well, I'm sure you are right and I expected to get called on it--so thanks for setting me straight. I've seen some modern D3d games run on Wine/Linux, though, and they are pretty slow compared to native Windows performance--I'd consider them basically untenable. But then, they are also having to convert D3d calls to OpenGL calls, etc. With UAE there's not really much of that going on, although D3d is used to some degree, and the Amiga still runs so wonderfully in 1 *mb* of ram... Although I actually owned at least one of every Amiga made except the A600/A1000, I still catch myself thinking in GBs these days--so likely WinUAE doesn't really push a recent multicore x86 hardware system very hard.