English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > EAB's competition

Old 08 February 2015, 11:47   #1
Graham Humphrey

EAB/Lemon Super League 2015: Round 2 - First Samurai

EAB/Lemon Super League 2015: Round 2 - First Samurai

Starts: 00:01 February 8 Finishes: 23:59 February 28

Rules

Post a picture of your score here with the score written underneath. Enter as often as you like. Only scores achieved during the round's time frame count.

No cheating of any kind (including score leeching) - this includes save states. No continues/passwords allowed. If you suspect anyone of cheating please let us know in private - anyone found guilty will be banned for the entire season.

Your score is calculated by maximum reached level, then best time, as requested by Harry - 1M for each level completed minus the time taken (screenshot of highest level completion screen needs to be submitted).

Remember, anyone can join in at any time. Have fun and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Downloads

- Disk 1, Disk 2
- WHDLoad-installed

Extras

- Full rules and FAQ (incorporating the Hall of Fame)
- Results and Standings
- Lemon thread
- Live League Ladder

Last edited by Graham Humphrey; 08 February 2015 at 22:26.
Old 08 February 2015, 11:49   #2
Graham Humphrey

This was Harry's choice as was the scoring system. I don't know how many levels there are, but I would suggest we order it by smallest score first to account for the time part of it. So if there are e.g. ten levels, level 1 would score 10 million and level 10 1 million, plus the time taken so smallest score wins?

And how do you find out this info to get proof?
Old 08 February 2015, 12:14   #3
john1979

The scoring system in both games is part of the challenge this round.
Old 08 February 2015, 14:46   #4
Graham Humphrey

Yes, some serious maths required...!

Well, lifeschool has made some headway into this. Here's what he posted on Lemon:

First Samurai - Perhaps this one needs more explanation. At the end of each level completed you'll get a screen showing some stats. Here is a screenshot taken from the end of the longplay on youtube (I have no intention of watching the longplay!).

Score: 1,015,748

Your score is based on the stats of the previous level, unless you complete the game. The Level you reached + your time:

e.g.
Level 10 = 1 million (in this case + 015,748)
Level 9 = 2 million
Level 8 = 3 million
Level 7 = 4 million
Level 6 = 5 million
Level 5 = 6 million
Level 4 = 7 million
Level 3 = 8 million
Level 2 = 9 million
Level 1 = 10 million
Died on level 1 = 11 million minus your score

While playing the game, take a screen grab at the end of each level. When you die, quit the game and load up an art package. If you pressed Print Screen, simply Paste the screen grab you last took into the package. If you saved an image, you'll have to find the latest. If you use a digital camera, please take a photo at the end of each level and post the most recent.

If you cant make it to the first stats screen
, perhaps take a screenshot in game. Your score is then based on 11 million minus the actual score you made in the game (lowest score wins). So if you scored 1k it would be 10,999,000. If you scored 1 point it would be 10,999,999?
Old 08 February 2015, 15:23   #5
BlackOceans

Cool, a speedrunning competition. Probably the only way I could enjoy this type of game Not that I'm going to get far in it, but at least I'll try.
Old 08 February 2015, 17:11   #6
Harry
HD Installer

You need to submit a screenshot with a level completion screen (or, in level 1, a screen showing your score).

Highest level is easy: make a screenshot of every level completion screen and submit the highest of your run with your total time given for this run.

You must play from level 1, you are not allowed to start with a higher level in the level selection screen.

I would prefer if the scoring system could be set as:
1 Million score for each completed level minus the time needed for this run.

Last edited by Harry; 08 February 2015 at 18:28. Reason: Correction
Old 08 February 2015, 17:21   #7
Harry
HD Installer

Hints:

You must collect special items and use it on the final obstacle. In level 1 this means: collect trunks and ring the bell (with space) to place them on the waterfall near the end of the level. There is one more special item available than needed.

Collect and ring a bell when an obstacle is in your way (fire, rock falls etc.). You will see the face of the mage at such a place.

There is also one reappearing bell and fruit in the level. Leave the screen and reenter to make it show up again.

Activation a magic pot takes a varying amount of magic energy. If your magic energy drops under about 1/3, then you should stop activating the pot, kill some enemies and return, as losing the sword is a great disadvantage in this game.

You will get an extra life for activating all magic pots in a level.

Last edited by Harry; 08 February 2015 at 18:11.
Old 08 February 2015, 17:25   #8
mailman
Zone Friend

And what if I haven't managed to complete the level?
Old 08 February 2015, 17:39   #9
Harry
HD Installer

Ok, for the case that you cannot complete even the first level: Submit your score and it will count as that, to a maximum of 500 k points (usual score of level 1 is about 50 ... 70 k).
Old 08 February 2015, 19:13   #10
mailman
Zone Friend

or

11,000,000-33,800 = 10,966,200

In my opinion this game is too long and too challenging for the compo...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	032.png
Views:	268
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	43166  
Old 08 February 2015, 20:54   #11
Cpt. Hindsight

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
Unfortunately, that's another hint for me to concentrate on SWOS which is a challenging and time consuming game as well.
Old 08 February 2015, 21:40   #12
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry View Post
I would prefer if the scoring system could be set as:
1 Million score for each completed level minus the time needed for this run.
Seems like that would work.

Do you mean then, that if I got to level two, my score would be 1 million minus the time I took? Or would it be 2 million?

We will go with this I think. It is a long game for the competition and it will probably severely reduce the number of people taking part but as this was the game chosen we'll go with this and this scoring system.
Old 09 February 2015, 02:24   #13
Harry
HD Installer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
Do you mean then, that if I got to level two, my score would be 1 million minus the time I took? Or would it be 2 million?
Level 1 completed = 1 Mio. minus your time.

I play this regularly and know it inside out (and i will give happily tips).

My attempt at this: Game completed (Level 10) and time taken was 03:47:54. I played this slowly and got all the extra lives.

Score: 9.965.246

Your sword is very important. If you lost it, try to go to a place in the level with easy enemies and slay them to regain it.

Hint for the frog in level 1: Collect the axe on the big waterfall and jump off to the right that way, that you land on the small platform with the morning star (There are 2 tiles space between the column and the platform). Now shoot him with your axes and he will be dead soon.

Hint for the first boss: Stand on the little platform on the left. If the dragons head moves in your direction, jump up and hit him with the sword. Try not to leave this platform. This is the 3rd hardest boss in the game, and it reappears in level 7.

The second hardest boss is the one in level 6. Collect grenades as special when you want to face him. Jump over him and shoot the grenades at him from behind until exhausted. Then give him the rest with the sword. You need to hit him and not the flying heads.

The hardest boss is the one in level 4. You have only one attempt, so better watch how it is done in the longplay (I never managed to beat him without the daggers). The only thing I want to add is that you should only shoot the next dagger when he has relaxed again and is not anymore in the blocking position, as he will not be hit in that position.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FS_10_034754.png
Views:	229
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	43173  

Last edited by Harry; 09 February 2015 at 02:36.
Old 09 February 2015, 08:17   #14
Graham Humphrey

Ah that makes sense now, thanks for clarifying and thanks for the tips!
Old 09 February 2015, 16:22   #15
lifeschool
Local Moderator

Thanks for clearing up the scoring on first samurai, I was worried it was going to be difficult there for a second.
Old 10 February 2015, 01:30   #16
Harry
HD Installer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
First Samurai is not longer than I played for Hybris or RuffNTumble. And in the overall difficulty, it is easier than SWIV. Only drawback is, that it starts already difficult and gets then easier when level 1 and the first half of level 2 are done. It gets difficult again at the end boss of level 4, in level 7 and especially in level 9.

A Hint to the spiders in level 1: You need a sword for this. Run to middle of the "temple" and destroy the removable blocks while jumping higher, if you stand at the top no spiders will still fall. Then run/jump fast in the desired direction. So you can cross this rather easily.

The huge stone blocks can not be destroyed, but you can repel them with your sword.

As for the lantern, you can have active spikeballs and lantern together. Its more useful in the later levels, when some of the specials are hidden in the ceiling.
Old 13 February 2015, 01:01   #17
Harry
HD Installer

To the screenshot problem: Pressing any valid Amiga Key will cause to leave the level stats screen. So press only non-Amiga Keys like F11, F12, Print, Scroll Lock, Pause or the middle mouse button in UAEs window.

I have not noticed this because I either use a screenshot utility (in E-UAE) or the builtin screenshot ability with the print key in FS-UAE. So use the GIMP (www.gimp.org) to make screenshots (File -> Create -> Screenshot) or, under Windows, you could also try the Snip utility (enter "snip" in the command line of the start menu). Make some test screenshots to become familiar with the usage of the screenshot programs.

As I do not play under Windows, it would be nice if someone could confirm the usage of screenshotters for WinUAE in the level completion screen.
Old 13 February 2015, 05:12   #18
vagrant

No problems with screenshot under winuae (END+PRTSCR).

Well.. I think this round better suited for hardcore First Samurai fans with as much exp in the game as you harry! Did you honestly expect any serious contest this round?

Of course double round makes it more impossible heheh.
Still, I know you have been voting this game for long time.. so it's all good
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	091.png
Views:	244
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	43218  
Old 13 February 2015, 20:07   #19
Harry
HD Installer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED-209 View Post
No problems with screenshot under winuae (END+PRTSCR).
Thats fine to hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED-209 View Post
Well.. I think this round better suited for hardcore First Samurai fans with as much exp in the game as you harry! Did you honestly expect any serious contest this round?
I had hoped that the game is not well enough known and other players will enjoy it as hidden gem. At least it is considerably easier than Rick Dangerous in any version or Giana Sisters which is regularly voted. If I ever have to chose the special game again, I will take something considerably easier, like Leander or Twinworld. I expected for myself to get up to level 7 or 9 before having my score, as this game is thought to be played with the savegame feature (press F1 in the title, but please only use savegames for training plays, not real scores). There was quite a bit of luck involved in my score.

Hint: The boss in level 2 offers a sweet spot where you cannot be hit.

Last edited by Harry; 13 February 2015 at 20:14.
Old 13 February 2015, 22:41   #20
ChrisN82

It really is a hidden gem Harry, I am really enjoying it even though I had never heard of it before. A nice intelligent platformer and a very pleasant surprise.