English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 02 May 2005, 01:24   #1
mcbpete
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to mcbpete Send a message via Yahoo to mcbpete
Amiga Coverdisk nostalia / Project Idea

Hi !

First new thread on here, so hopefully I've put it in the right place! Anyway, owning the Amiga from quite an early age (9 years old) I rarely could afford any new games (occasionally the odd budget game and on birthdays/Christmas the luxery of a full price game). So for many years most of my Amiga joy came from coverdisk demos/pd games with the occastional full game on there.

So to come across a site like this one has just overwhelmed me in nostalgic memories (actually to be totally honest I actually had tears in my eyes, it was like seeing almost a whole decade of memories in one place ).

So anyway, the site has almost every single coverdisk I can remember owning and all in handy zipped .adf's. Now the thing is, they're not amazingly named and there's very little detail about the disk itself so I was wondering about doing an Amiga Coverdisk project. I've seen a couple of good ones in the past (here and here for example) but they don't seem to be maintained at the moment. It'd be nice to have something like a separate page for each disk offering a disk scan, screenshots from each program etc. etc. (probably very similar to the amigacoverdisks.emuunlim.com site actually, but with slighty better w3c compliance and quicker navigation) Unfortunatly I've very little time at the moment with exams coming up but I was wondering what other people here thought about the idea?

Pete...

Last edited by mcbpete; 02 May 2005 at 01:37.
Old 02 May 2005, 04:30   #2
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

If there is a niche for it, and you won't be doing something that someone else has done well, then go for it. I think it's a great idea. My knowledge of Coverdisks is quite limited however.

Good luck!
Old 02 May 2005, 10:42   #3
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

There is work being developed by CodeTapper in the HOL vein. If you have magazines & disks you can scan, post links to disk images (not sure if Codetapper knows PlanetEmu has all disk images?) it's a HUGE project with 1000's of hours work. When it's ready for a preview I am sure Codetapper will announce it.
Old 02 May 2005, 13:29   #4
mcbpete
Zone Friend

Ah, I knew someone on here would know of a current project going on. Well if that's the case then I look forward to it
Old 02 May 2005, 14:14   #5
BippyM
Global Moderator

Is this project going to bo combined with HOL or kept separate?
Old 02 May 2005, 15:19   #6
mcbpete
Zone Friend

From the way alexh worded it, it looks like it's gonna be a seperate project but similar in style. Alexh -> Do you know if there will be downloads of the disks available, or if it will be a database with just information about the disks (I'm assuming it'll be the former) ?
Old 28 May 2006, 18:52   #7
aminicle

I was also thinking about something like this but combinated with a place where you can swap missing issues in your collection. I also have lots of coverdisks also a lot of dutch ones

Old 28 May 2006, 19:18   #8
NOB
Zone Friend

scans of coverdisks can be found here:

http://www.shitsite.co.uk/images/amiga-disks/

maybe this is of any use to the HOL-database.
Old 29 May 2006, 00:02   #9
redblade
Zone Friend

Yeah the coverdisk project will be cool.

Although your gonnah have to get some one to crack some of the coverdisks as some have Copy protection on it. ie Cannon Fodder demo of Amiga Power.

Uridum2 from One Amiga??

Also planetemu.net doesnt' have all the coverdisks as Game Engine is not located on it, also some of the later CU Amiga disks.

Yeah matey go full steam ahead with the site will be a good idea.

Perhaps you could extract some of the files(utils) of the disks and upload em to aminet?
Old 31 May 2006, 18:02   #10
mcbpete
Zone Friend

The updated link to the french planetemu site is here: http://www.planetemu.net/index.php?section=roms&dat=376

I think I was a bit hasty with my enthusiasm a year ago when I was gonna set this up. For one I have very little webspace, let alone anything with PHP/mySql support for any kind of structured back end. I don't want to tread on anyones toes if another similar project IS going on. But yeah, it'd be great to see this project continue, but for now I guess we just wait....

Last edited by mcbpete; 04 June 2006 at 02:31.
Old 31 May 2006, 20:44   #11
Solid Snake
Wonderful World Of Amiga

A great project idea. One site where you could find (nearly) every magazine cover disk that was published for the Amiga. You could set up a search feature, alphabetic access, scans of labels, etc. This would be quite an ambitious project which I am sure many Amigans will support and help complete. I wish you all the best!
Old 31 July 2006, 13:02   #12
UK Bad Ass

Hi I have some coverdisk scans (but not ADF images) available. There are Amiga Shopper, Amiga Computing, Amiga Power, Amiga Format, CU Amiga, Amiga User InternationalAmiga Action and The One scans. If you need them, let me know at carlhandley0@supanet.com. I have not finished scanning them all in yet, but I should be done by the end of the week.

Old 31 July 2006, 13:56   #13
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

One of my favourite mags that had cover CD's was Future Music, i got into it because firstly the link between Amiga format (future publishing) but also they had samples on CD for the AMIGA in IFF (16 & 8 bit stereo formats)

man did i abuse those rombler samples LOL!

However it would be a task and a half to index and store.. i have a few issues
Old 31 July 2006, 17:08   #14
Xeon

I have CU Amiga Mags and coverdisks from mid 92 to mid 97, Some Amiga Format mags and disks, and Amiga Shopper also. I may have others packed away I forgot about. If I could be any help to this project or projects let me know. I dont have a scanner but do have a digital cam, and a Amiga. The only factor would be finding some time to do it.
Old 18 August 2006, 15:03   #15
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

Did anyone know if it's allowed to spread these old coverdisks/disksmags? I have them all for download on my website. But someone have have reported to my host that these files is still copyrighted. If this is true, I will of course remove them.
Old 30 August 2006, 18:19   #16
ChrisNZ
Amiga Mp3 creator

WOW thanks you just answer my question for a demo / coverdisk source. I'm thinking of a Mp3 cover disk section to my site and quite a few people have requested cover disk demo music etc etc.

Only problem is im busy too with trying to add amiga game music Mp3s.. Still hundreds of games to go. over 400 mp3s and 1gig later I have only covered a fraction of good game tunes heh

But thanks for the source i needed. Purhaps demo music Mp3 section might be added in the future.

Good luck with the coverdisk project!
Old 30 August 2006, 20:54   #17
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Anyone know if the "son of zeus" coverdisk is among the unnamed amiga action coverdisks on planetemu? I can't seemed to find the magazine in my archives...
Old 31 August 2006, 14:41   #18
mcbpete
Zone Friend

Yep, I've just a downloading session of the unlabelled ones. It's the one named:

Amiga Action - Issue xx - Coverdisk 28 (199x)(Europress Interactive)(UK).zip

EDIT: I've upped the .adf to the Zone.

Last edited by mcbpete; 01 September 2006 at 01:01.
Old 31 August 2006, 21:17   #19
dirkies
Zone Friend

I got TONS of Amiga Computing coverdisks, I'll see if I find the time to investigate how to scan them if there are ones missing...
Old 01 September 2006, 07:46   #20
Galaxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbpete
Amiga Action - Issue xx - Coverdisk 28 (199x)(Europress Interactive)(UK).zip
Coverdisk 28 (and also 27) was on issue no. 31 (April 1992) for those who are interested.