English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

View Poll Results: What do you think of this guy?
I think this guy talks sense 2 4.65%
I think hes a penis 22 51.16%
I think he has some valid points 3 6.98%
I cant be bothered to vote :\ 16 37.21%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 22 June 2003, 16:47   #1
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

The reason why gaming is in the mess its in :(

I reckon this guy is about 15 years old max. Either that or just completely stupid.

http://www.ukresistance.co.uk/issue10.html
Old 22 June 2003, 17:19   #2
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

The whole thing seems to be bait to get lots of retrogamers complaining - the complaints are on the front page!
Old 22 June 2003, 17:39   #3
RCK
Administrator

I don't know how many mental reflexion degree is there but this page is very funny
Old 22 June 2003, 17:59   #4
Syko
Now got GSX750F :))

LMAO

and he's got a point about Cameron Diaz in a small bra.
Old 22 June 2003, 18:00   #5
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

He obviuosly is a big fan of and computer drawn women because thats as close as he'll ever get to pussy.
Old 22 June 2003, 18:10   #6
Syko
Now got GSX750F :))

Hey! It's clean, safe, and you can't catch AID's... Okay it's lonley but you can't have everything, can you?
Old 22 June 2003, 18:11   #7
Drake1009

15 years sound about right. Maybe 12 though. And though the games might look better now that doesn't mean they play better. And of course it's always important to know the roots of where games came from and how far they've come.

I haven't played Gotham racing but sure it looks prettier than Outrun but it's not the same arcade like experience. Typical of him though to think graphics=gameplay.

VERDICT (notice the upper case): Inconclusive.
Old 22 June 2003, 18:27   #8
Marcuz

for the sake of discussion one could speak his mind to those kids, but really i do not know what to say to them! that's just unusefully aggressive and stupid. i'm less concerned with the things they say about retrogaming in particular that with the stupidity in being so self assured when so assertive!
it's sad
Old 22 June 2003, 18:37   #9
Bloodwych

Totally stupid analysis.

In most of his examples he's chosen 2D games that tried to create 3D effects back then - unfair.

Some games only work well in 2D so it will always have it's place in gaming. Super Mario World, Bubble Bobble, bomberman, Biplanes/dogfight etc just won't work or be as playable in 3D.

Gaming is best in 2D AND 3D. A playable game is just that - it doesn't need polygons to be labelled as good.

Yes, I kept my comments short and sweet because his page doesn't deserve any more of my time - I'll just take it as a joke and a bit of fun. he he.
Old 22 June 2003, 18:41   #10
Ian
Global Moderator

Where's the option for an excellent piece of true british p*ss taking.

You only need to read the complaint's to know that they are only taking the p*ss (and probably play old games themselves).

"So we strung him along, waiting for him to rumble us or get bored"

Says it all to me
Old 22 June 2003, 18:44   #11
Dizzy
Pirate

He's not a penis.

A Penis

(Censored picture)

VERSUS

This Guy

(Censored picture)

Verdict: He's a lame ass no brain looser, The Penis is not.....
Old 22 June 2003, 18:44   #12
Bloodwych

Actually, Ian's right - reading through right to the end shows that it is a "take the piss" page - just a bit of fun.
Old 22 June 2003, 18:49   #13
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

The sad truth is that even if this guy is being tongue in cheek, there are millions who would agree with every word.

The reason why gaming is in the mess its in

lol@all those who voted that they couldnt be bothered to vote
Old 22 June 2003, 18:56   #14
Mr Creosote
Evil Mastermind

Erm... shouldn't games used as examples for 'retrogaming' somehow... old?
Old 22 June 2003, 19:08   #15
Marcuz

i'm sorry if my english understanding does not allow me to read well between the lines and to mistake sarcasm.
but still i think that that page is totally unfairly aggressive: i do know "supernew games"'s nerds (that even so, do not understand half of what they says, just repeat nonsense tech speech) but no retrogames nerds... also who was a nerd about games in my old times, by now either do not touch a game since years, or is still a (let's say it just for the comparison, no pun intended) looser of time in the way that he can chose in the moment. often an actual way!
so i'm still confused about it.
btw i agree with mr creosote: lara croft 2 is still a quite young game by every pow. no? well...
Old 22 June 2003, 19:20   #16
wakeupbomb
Amiga Collector

I personally think it's quite hilarious

Quote:
Hey look at us! Look at how clever we are! We can increase the resolution of emulators and use screenshots really big too! This still doesn't make "retro gaming" any good.
lol
Old 22 June 2003, 19:46   #17
th4t1guy

The only thing he's right about is that the graphics in games have become better. Retro games still rock. I've yet to play a modern platform game that compares with Superfrog, Robocod, or even Zool2. Rayman 3 is probably the best modern platformer I've played, and it wasn't even that good.
Old 22 June 2003, 20:59   #18
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Better?
Sure the planes and exlosions and scrolling and all that look more realistic, but then again whats so good about blurry, jerky graphics?
And all these new games are rehashes of the same ol' thing: Online roleplaying or FPS or crappy RTS.
Once in a while a good game like Sudden Strike 2, Commandoes 2 or IL-2 Sturmovok graces the scene, but for the most part I despise the state of gaming now.
Thank goodness for the GBA.
I should buy one.
Old 22 June 2003, 21:35   #19
Marcuz

another thing: i've spoken my mind to nausea about gaming, feedbacks, sospension of incredulity and use of this way of spending oneself time. you may think differently. ok.
so i will not say against actual games (this is just my taste) from this point of view.
but i think that to debate about a major redesign of what is perceived in that rectangle of the screen, starting from a more artistic sense of canon would be useful and to try from every modern game designer. the most game designer(GD) that i had the chance (or sfortune) to meet were just so full of that cheap maya stuff that they eat that simply did'nt had any space left for taste, reality or common sense. GD as well, in different way, art directors in media, (both with or without special effects budget) and arts creatives in adverteasing (i know better those) all of those they just contribute to a immaginary world of disparate "artistic" elements, imagine a quantity of not so differents objects, in a big mass, from wich they also draw at the need. the mayor rule is to follow a kind of false common sense in the chose of the way to get in every single aspect of progress of their fields of application.
in easy words: give them what they expect! but bot b'cause we're intelligent and they are not, only because we too expect just that particular thing!
it's all of that a kind of limitate world that limitating more the fantasy limitate itself.
the more you give percepible but not needed informations, the more you make audible the message.
and the taste in arts has mainly this scope, to order informations as for rythm, mass, contour, tone, value and to get their control in expression to make understandable the objects.
as for what is relate to this board (it's related with everything) you can see good thecnicism and better taste, mean, in visuals of games, in the demos of the amiga scene than in any games around.
my token.
Old 22 June 2003, 22:01   #20
th4t1guy

Quote:
Better? Sure the planes and exlosions and scrolling and all that look more realistic, but then again whats so good about blurry, jerky graphics?
Maybe I'm crazy, but I'd rather have 32-bit color with a high-resolution than 32 colors total on a TV screen. However, if I had to sacrifice playability for this, I'd take the one with more playability.

The main problem I have with modern games if that they're just too easy; and they still put cheatmodes in them! Sometimes it makes me wonder just who exactly are these games being designed for in the first place.