English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 24 December 2015, 23:47   #1
eva

Guru Mediation Errors

Hello!

I am having some issues with a setup that used to work fine. One day everything was fine (and has been running for months), and the next day the system started to guru.

The main error code I get from guru is:

Code:
#8000 0004
Mostly it happens after running some program (even a command such as "dir"). If I boot from a Workbench diskette, Workbench manages to load fine. If I then open a CLI and start messing about with commands I get a guru. For example, issuing "dir" several times ends up in:

Code:
dir
Program Files (error #8000 0004)
Wait for disk activity to finish
I also sometimes get:

Code:
#8000 0003
#8000 0006
#8000 000B
I have an Amiga 1200 with a 030 Blizzard IV accelerator (with FPU).

Here is what I have tried:
  • I have tried exchanging the RAM for other RAM sticks - with a single RAM stick, the booting process goes further into Workbench. However, the Workbench backdrop shows some graphics corruption (funky colours).
  • I have several CF cards, tried a few, but there is no change.
  • With or without the SCSI kit attached, it makes not much of a difference.
  • Meanwhile, I have replaced both the CPU and the FPU on the Blizzard 030 with spares. No change.
  • I have replaced the PSU - still no dice.
  • If I remove the Blizzard, then the computer boots up fine and I have no issues at all.
  • Looking at the capacitors, they seem alright and there does not seem to be any leaks - I haven't replaced them yet though.

I have not done anything to the hardware or the software lately - quite blatantly, the day before and months before I had no issues, today I do...

Any clues on what this could be? Could a capacitor replace fix this?

Thanks!

Last edited by eva; 25 December 2015 at 14:13.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 25 December 2015, 16:58   #2
eva

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9gj24i.jpg
Views:	553
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	46721  
Old 25 December 2015, 21:16   #3
Leffmann

From one of your gurus, $8000 000B, it looks like the FPU isn't even connected in the system. You'll get that exception if you run FPU code, but have no FPU or FP emulation in the system. What happens if you remove the FPU? What other hardware is attached?

EDIT: actually removing the FPU doesn't make much sense and I see you tried another one anyway. From the exceptions it looks like CPU and FPU works, but memory contents get screwed up. Something with the memory controller on the Blizzard maybe?

Last edited by Leffmann; 25 December 2015 at 21:32.
Old 25 December 2015, 21:48   #4
eva

Thank for your reply! Yes, I have replaced the FPU and it does not seem to make a difference. Concerning the memory issue, I have tried multiple sticks and it does not seem to change anything - if I use a single stick on the Blizzard and none in the SCSI kit then booting will advance to the Workbench. When I start running programs, after a while, it goes to #8000 0004. With both sticks it just crashes on loading Workbench (after Blizkick does the maprom sequence).

I also get graphics distortion on Workbench - before getting a guru eventually by running programs. Like the bottom half of the wallpaper has funky colours.

Could this be related to the capacitors? I plan on replacing them but if the motherboard is shot, I'd rather wait to get a new one.
Old 25 December 2015, 22:26   #5
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

yes, it could be due to bad caps... get them replaced before doing anything else..
Old 25 December 2015, 22:26   #6
frank_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva View Post
Thank for your reply! Yes, I have replaced the FPU and it does not seem to make a difference. Concerning the memory issue, I have tried multiple sticks and it does not seem to change anything - if I use a single stick on the Blizzard and none in the SCSI kit then booting will advance to the Workbench. When I start running programs, after a while, it goes to #8000 0004. With both sticks it just crashes on loading Workbench (after Blizkick does the maprom sequence).

I also get graphics distortion on Workbench - before getting a guru eventually by running programs. Like the bottom half of the wallpaper has funky colours.

Could this be related to the capacitors? I plan on replacing them but if the motherboard is shot, I'd rather wait to get a new one.
Have you got the 60 ns jumper set or unset? Perhaps the ram you are using isn't fast enough.
Old 26 December 2015, 00:04   #7
eva

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverphonique View Post
yes, it could be due to bad caps... get them replaced before doing anything else..
It's scheduled - going to (hopefully) do it on Monday. Have you seen this before? Can you confirm it? I'll do it anyway, just eager to see some light at the end of the tunnel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_b View Post
Have you got the 60 ns jumper set or unset? Perhaps the ram you are using isn't fast enough.
I fiddled with that too - not much of an effect. The Blizzard manual is a bit dodgy (even in German): it states that with a SCSI Kit the jumper should be set - regardless of the installed RAM?

In any case, the setup was working fine (with jumper set) for like what, 1 year? Then come Christmas this year, I turn the Amiga on, it crashes. When it comes back up it spills 8000 0004 gurus and then funky colors as a strip on the screen (distorted backdrop), etc...

It has not been recapped yet - I took apart the motherboard though in anticipation and I looked really close at the capacitors. They look impeccable: no leaks on the top, no leaks on the bottom of the motherboard. I really do hope it is the capacitors because I should have done that anyway regardless.

The Blizzard part seems ok! The "stars" show up on boot, the diagnostics recognise the board, it even successfully maps the ROM and loads the kickstart replacements for OS 3.9. The SCSI Kit manages to mount the CD and the drives. Just that when I get to Workbench I have a slice of backdrop in funky colors and after starting a few programs it inevitably leads to a 8000 0004.

I do notice that there are varying degrees of stability before the crash depending on what I have plugged in. If I completely remove the Blizzard and start Workbench, there are no crashes at all. If I plug the Blizzard without the SCSI kit, the crash may or may not happen but it happens much later, if I then add the SCSI kit it also works alright - maybe leading to a crash later on, if I also add the RAM on the SCSI kit, then the crash occurs directly on loading the Workbench.

This defect - or whatever it is, started in stages. It's something that deteriorated before my eyes. It started with Kings Quest locking up the machine. Then it would load Workbench and when it started the programs from WBStartup, it crashed after loading a few of them. After a few minutes of my fiddling (turning the Amiga on and off, replugging things), it started to crash directly while loading Workbench - or, without a RAM stick, Workbench loads with the funky colors and eventually crashes. So, whatever it is, it's something that started to deteriorate as I was looking at it.

Last edited by eva; 26 December 2015 at 00:11.
Old 26 December 2015, 01:18   #8
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

I can't say I've seen your exact situation or not, but dead caps cause all sorts of instabilities, from crashes in digital circuits to bad signals in analog ones..
Old 08 January 2016, 16:12   #9
eva

As an update, I had the capacitors replaced on the board but still no dice. The motherboard really seems fine because I can boot up and do anything without an accelerator or the SCSI kit. Even with the accelerator plugged in and the SCSI kit (both without any RAM) everything works fine.

What I do notice is that if I remove the RAM sticks I can boot Workbench 3.1 without problems.

If I add one RAM stick, I can boot into Workbench 3.9 and I do not get any guru - just that half of the lower part of the Wallpaper is garbled (the icons are not affected - perhaps some FBlit stuff?).

If I add both RAM sticks then I immediately get the #8000 0004 guru on boot - sometimes just like that, other times it says that SetPatch failed and the #8000 0004 guru.

Can I assume that the RAM sticks may be faulty? It seems the next thing on the menu to attempt. Any good (known) RAM testers around on AmiNET that can perform some tests?
Old 08 January 2016, 18:42   #10
dirkies
Zone Friend

or the RAM sockets/traces have an issue?
Old 08 January 2016, 19:15   #11
eva

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkies View Post
or the RAM sockets/traces have an issue?
It seems clear that it's in that part of the computer: accelerator and SCSI kit... It could be, yes. Then again, this issue appeared all of a sudden so they could not have been damaged before.

My next test would be to get some alternative RAM sticks (known to work) and try them out. If I still get the error then it must be the accelerator being borked.

Otherwise, I'm out of ideas.
Old 17 January 2016, 23:16   #12
eva

As an update to this: I have taken out the CF and loaded it under WinUAE and guess what? I get #8000 0004 under WinUAE! So, it seems the CF is corrupt or something like that.
Old 17 January 2016, 23:20   #13
Zeph

Is your WinUAE set up the same as your physical hardware?
Old 17 January 2016, 23:54   #14
eva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph View Post
Is your WinUAE set up the same as your physical hardware?
Well, not really. The WinUAE has no Blizzard accelerator nor a SCSI kit. I have commented BlizKick and most of the patches to get to Workbench. Increased the fast RAM to 8MB and kept the chip RAM at 2MB - so much less than the Blizzard. I set the processor to match the 030 on the Blizzard. Otherwise, I did not fiddle with any extra stuff. The result is that running stuff like HDToolBox in WinUAE ends up in #8000 0004.

Perhaps the stuff on the CF just got corrupted? They were not really new CFs to begin with. However given that both WinUAE and the real hardware throw #8000 004 it's the only conclusion I can arrive at. On the other hand, I have managed to dump the CF image both using WinUAE and under Linux and there were no read errors reported.

I am going to try a restore from an earlier backup on a different CF and try it with the real hardware RAM. What bothers me is that the Amiga used to work great with the current setup - so this sudden thing couldn't have been a new thing I added.
Old 18 January 2016, 00:01   #15
Zeph

Have you tried configuring the WinUAE setup with an 030+fpu?
Old 18 January 2016, 00:26   #16
eva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph View Post
Have you tried configuring the WinUAE setup with an 030+fpu?
Yep.

Made some progress. I have used a different CF card, placed back the old RAM sticks that we suspected were faulty, restored an earlier Workbench backup and booted. No errors so far.

Now running Diavolo to restore from the backups - in case it goes guru again, I'll report.
Old 18 January 2016, 21:04   #17
eva

Ok, one day later, still no crashes. So for completeness, I'll just state that I changed the CF card with a new one and that seemed to make all the errors go away. Thanks for the help and suggestions - at least with this fright I finally gathered the guts to show up at an electrics store and get my caps checked and some of them replaced!
Old 26 February 2016, 15:32   #18
Hedeon
Sonnet Hacker

I would say a virus which wasn't on your back-up. Try the original CF with the back-up restored on it. Or check with a virus checker.

But then again, it runs fine already :-)
Old 27 February 2016, 11:24   #19
meynaf
son of 68k

These guru numbers indicate that the cpu is executing damaged code.
For me it looks like a CF card wearing out. It starts playing on the electrical tolerances first (so the result depends on what's plugged in), and then slowly decays...
If the card has a good firmware it may report errors (?), but i will never trust these little things too much.
If you have archives (lha and co) on it, checking them with -t option can bring some useful information.
AdSense AdSense