English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 27 March 2024, 18:20   #21
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Happened to some of the biggest tubers out there, just move on, register another account and re-up everything, you can't argue with a giant.
Old 27 March 2024, 18:22   #22
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator

I feel sorry for your loss. But with the growing unusability of YouTube, maybe it's time we - collectively - start to consider ditching YouTube and adopt a new, more lenient and tolerant alternative.
Old 27 March 2024, 18:40   #23
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Some Amiga content creators use PeerTube in parallel with YouTube and I would say it makes sense given the ever increasing enshittification of YT.
Old 27 March 2024, 19:07   #24
Megalomaniac

What are they defining as copyrighted material? Simply footage of you playing a game, or background music, or quotes from magazines?

Do you at least still have the videos to reupload to there or elsewhere?
Old 27 March 2024, 19:18   #25
kremiso

crap, no previous warnings to remove the specific content?
too bad
Old 27 March 2024, 20:44   #26
ransom1122

The 3 videos were wangan (namco) teknoparrot games, and I'm assuming it's the music attached.

But like I said they all passed youtubes copyright verify check.

How is one ment to know if they have copyright material even after youtube verifies it as safe or copyrighted but author allows the content to be published?

I had no flimstendo videos so fliptendo had nothing to do with it.

All videos are removed/deleted and account is terminated.. there is no way to view history or gather my own subscriptions

The worst part is, losing the account loses all information about my 100s of subscription videos. I'd like an extract of my subs so I can re subscribe on my new account but that seems like criminal activity lol..

Anyway, we'll see what yt comes up with in terms of an explanation
Old 27 March 2024, 20:59   #27
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransom1122 View Post
The 3 videos were wangan (namco) teknoparrot games, and I'm assuming it's the music attached.

But like I said they all passed youtubes copyright verify check.

How is one ment to know if they have copyright material even after youtube verifies it as safe or copyrighted but author allows the content to be published?

I had no flimstendo videos so fliptendo had nothing to do with it.

All videos are removed/deleted and account is terminated.. there is no way to view history or gather my own subscriptions

The worst part is, losing the account loses all information about my 100s of subscription videos. I'd like an extract of my subs so I can re subscribe on my new account but that seems like criminal activity lol..

Anyway, we'll see what yt comes up with in terms of an explanation
Sorry but this isn't right.

When a company or person makes a copyright claim, you get sent notice of this from Youtube to the linked email account to your Youtube channel.

They give you X amount of time to respond to the copyright claim, and in that claim it will tell you who made the claim and the portion of the video that they are claiming.

In the Youtube Studio section, it will give you a list of all your videos, will say if they are monetised or not, and importantly if they are live on Youtube or not, and if not, you can click on the video in the Youtube Studio and it will tell you whats going on.
Old 27 March 2024, 21:19   #28
drHirudo
Amiga user

YouTube doesn't close channels just like that. Either somebody filled DMCA takedown requests all at once on several of your videos, or you ignored copyright matches for long time and they decided it's too risky having such account.
If the account is closed because of DMCA takedown requests, You shall find who made them and ask him to retract it, if it is made in error.

Long time ago (in 2015) I had a copyright strike (DMCA) takedown request, on one of my videos, where I was activating Windows 8 (without sharing keys or anything). I deleted the video in anger, only to find out it was a mistake by a third party hired by Microsoft, who automatically stroke thousands of Windows videos. Later they retracted the DMCAs and the strike disappeared, but the video was not able to restore after deletion and I didn't care to reupload it.

Currently I am also having ContentID and I have more deep insight into YouTube copyright (also being YouTube certified) and I can say errors happen, because of the huge amount of reuploads each day. During the years I had bogus claims and even reinstates from well known labels, who in the hurry or because of incompetence of the reviewers continued to claim white noise, silence, game effects and similar. With my gaming channels I am used to getting bogus claims and false positives all the time. Happens a lot in games with silence parts or sometimes noise not possible to be heard by human ear.
Old 27 March 2024, 21:24   #29
Havie

According to my son who has his own channel - it must be three strikes not claims.

Claims - use of unauthorsied material in your video but don't affect you except you cannot monetise your video.

Strike - apparently this is a 'clear violation of copyright law' (the quotes basically mean that YouTube has a notoriously abused policy).

His advice is to counter claim as you have already done so and in theory, if you actually haven't done anything wrong then it may sort itself. But did say if it is a music related claim due to background music then the company behind the claim gets to decide whether the strikes remain valid or not and sadly they probably will either choose to uphold or ignore.
Old 27 March 2024, 22:11   #30
ransom1122

From yt

Due to multiple copyright strikes associated with the videos below, your YouTube channel has now been terminated:

3 videos listed in email....

Why this can happen One or more of your videos contained copyrighted content. Copyright owners can choose to issue legal complaints that require YouTube to take down videos that contain their content. When you have 3 or more copyright strikes, your channel can be terminated.
Old 27 March 2024, 22:59   #31
crobin

I don't have a YT channel but i follow lots of you and some others one in particular has this happen to him name of Metatron had the same problem demoneyfied and blocked but he got a lot put back up. He did a couple of posts about it so don't give hope

Last edited by crobin; 27 March 2024 at 22:59. Reason: spelling
Old 27 March 2024, 23:41   #32
ransom1122

If it doesn't get reversed I won't be doing videos anymore unfortunately, it's a shame as their are a lot of hard working amiga developers that need exposure.

Unfortunately looks like youtube is more of a ticking time bomb then a safe place..

Any video can be copyright striked at anytime even if youtube verifies it as safe...

So if you get 3 strikes in 90 days means, your account is deleted....

All videos deleted
All history deleted
All subscription deleted

No way of retrieving/exporting history

Upon learning this the hardware I wish All other youtubers good luck in their efforts
Old 28 March 2024, 00:04   #33
qupe

I have a copyright claim for a game clip from a 1989 game and the music they are claiming it infringes against is from 2004.....

Not sure how I appeal that one....

I started YouTube as a way of me working through a backlog and hoping to promote some of the lesser know public domain/homebrew.

Copyrights are coming in on a lot of clips now.

I hope you can overturn it ransom.
Old 28 March 2024, 00:21   #34
Pyromania

Upload videos to Locals and or BitChut.
Old 28 March 2024, 00:38   #35
NovaCoder

That sux my friend

I hope that don't take down my little channel, lots of porting memories stretching back over the years.
Old 28 March 2024, 00:43   #36
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Looking at this with trepidation since i do mod music for lot of arcade ports o_O
Old 28 March 2024, 03:37   #37
dreadnought

This is so stupid on multiple levels.

Firstly, youtube itself hosts mountains of copyrighted material, which sometimes is straightforward piracy-on-purpose.

Secondly, the rules should really be different. Everyboody knows that a small channels like yours don't use this kind of material to get super rich and buy mansions and that it's either "fair use" or an honest mistake. So why not let the user remove the offending stuff instead of nuking the entire account?
Old 28 March 2024, 04:58   #38
Pyromania

I love YouTube but you should always have built in redundancy for your channel. What I mean is make sure all your videos are available on an alternative Video Streaming Platform. That way you are not at the mercy of a single mega corporation or bogus copyright strikes from god knows who.
Old 28 March 2024, 05:49   #39
modrobert
old bearded fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortuguesePilot View Post
I feel sorry for your loss. But with the growing unusability of YouTube, maybe it's time we - collectively - start to consider ditching YouTube and adopt a new, more lenient and tolerant alternative.
I agree, but since YouTube is the biggest, it will probably take a long time. Thinking about PayPal, similar problem, it's hard to consider it as a "payment system" anymore when the user policy gets updated almost daily with more goods and services which are not accepted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromania View Post
I love YouTube but you should always have built in redundancy for your channel. What I mean is make sure all your videos are available on an alternative Video Streaming Platform. That way you are not at the mercy of a single mega corporation or bogus copyright strikes from god knows who.
Good advice.

Slightly off topic, but is YouTube actually making profit for Google? Maybe this is part of the problem, seems like desperate measures to minimize losses. Thinking primarily about how much storage they provide for free, must be insane amounts. (I remember the 10 minute video limit in the early days when storage space was a problem, before Google bought YouTube.)
Old 28 March 2024, 05:54   #40
Pyromania

YouTube makes a ton of money for Google and has for some time.