English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 15 January 2010, 13:49   #1
Bloodwych

Transforming old PC hardware into powerful classic Amigas

I'm positive people have done these kind of projects before, but I thought it would be interesting to look again at the wonderful opportunities we have for creating powerful Classic Amiga setups out of old cheap PC hardware using the power of WinUAE.

Real Amiga classic hardware is expensive and getting on now in years. Many have leaking batteries or require cap replacement, so this is a viable option for those who want to create an Amiga out of say, an ITX PC system or some old PC hardware.

So what's stopping us using BartPE and PEbuilder for instance to create a very lightweight Windows XP installation that boots straight into fullscreen WinUAE?

I'm sure we can add our own boot pic and have full network support. Plus with it being an XP build, it will have great driver support. We can make use of the fact JIT can be enabled and disabled from within the Workbench too.

Has anyone already done such a project? I remember various Linux efforts, and one called "Amiga on a stick". I just think it would be great if we can put together our own pack that can be used with Amikit, AmigaSYS and ClassicWB.

Please feel free to discuss any options. I'd love to have a mini ITX system that is purely used for being a Classic Amiga.
Old 15 January 2010, 14:15   #2
seuden
uber cool demi god

I have a spare P4 3.0Ghz HT, 1GB ram, 120GB HDD system that I wanted to do this too. I was thinking something along the lines of TinyXP to start with.

EDIT: I'm thinking of booting straight into OS3.1 (via WinUAE), I think anything higher than that I would lose any retro feeling I wanted to achieve.

Last edited by seuden; 15 January 2010 at 14:24.
Old 15 January 2010, 14:25   #3
s2325
Zone Friend

My old laptop have option in BIOS to skip all hardware testing, so you need only 2-3 seconds to load OS (MS-DOS) and UAE/Fellow. Maybe some of newer PCs have this option also...
Old 15 January 2010, 15:25   #4
Bloodwych

TinyXP would work, but I like the idea of BartPE combined with peinst to install it on a hard drive:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...G=Search&meta=

You can also run BartPE easily from a stand alone CD/DVD or USB stick.
Old 15 January 2010, 15:42   #5
xc8
no c= no fun

I m using a CF card on ExpressCard54 adapter (on my laptop) it can be boot directly there.
I use DRDOS (a bit old , but its usefull to load old win 3 and DESQview)..
I can load the VICE C64 and Fellow in seconds.. the only problem is there is NO sound, as modern PCs that have HDA audio or similar sound chipset there is no DOS drivers to support sound.. (and these chipsets are NO way compatible with SBlaster)..

chris
Old 15 January 2010, 15:44   #6
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Im likeing this a ClassicWb for PC I havent done exactly this but did try and make a live CD with BartPe and WinUae the only problem I had was WinUae seemed very slow compared to my normal XP setup - But didnt realy go that far into experimenting.
Theres info about on using WinUae as your main shell on Windows and there another tool for min XP installation but cant think what its called.
Old 15 January 2010, 15:49   #7
Bloodwych

Thanks for the info Boo Boo. If it ran slow it might have been the medium - CD/DVD's have poor seek times. Or it might be a missing file or driver.

The program you can use to make custom XP installs is nLite, but there are other strip down programs too.
Old 15 January 2010, 16:06   #8
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Or a ClassicWb Flavor of Aros - Aros without all the plugins looks the same as Wb3.0 is compatible with normal WB icons, has a level of UAE integration for Classic Games/Demos and of course is freeware and can run Live from CD.
Old 15 January 2010, 16:06   #9
seuden
uber cool demi god

Have you tried AmigaSYS Bloodbych?
Old 15 January 2010, 16:59   #10
Bloodwych

Of course, I've tried AmigaSYS and Amikit. It would be ignorant of me not to have given them a go.
Old 15 January 2010, 17:09   #11
Bloodwych

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post
Or a ClassicWb Flavor of Aros - Aros without all the plugins looks the same as Wb3.0 is compatible with normal WB icons, has a level of UAE integration for Classic Games/Demos and of course is freeware and can run Live from CD.
AROS is kind of already covered by other people, but as you said it would be nice to have a Classic looking theme.

The reason I want to use BartPE and WinUAE, is the massive hardware compatibility offered by XP combined with the brilliance and completeness of WinUAE itself.
Old 15 January 2010, 17:12   #12
seuden
uber cool demi god

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych View Post
AROS is kind of already covered by other people, but as you said it would be nice to have a Classic looking theme.

The reason I want to use BartPE and WinUAE, is the massive hardware compatibility offered by XP combined with the brilliance and completeness of WinUAE itself.
Agreed.
Old 15 January 2010, 17:51   #13
Eclipse
Turpentine

This would be awesome and something if it ever came to fruition that i would be arsed to do.
Afterall you could still plug it into a TV if you wanted to, or monitor and HD TV etc for the purists.
The list is endless with Winuae but with ClassicWB as the OS I think it would be awesome.
Old 15 January 2010, 18:11   #14
gulliver
BoingBagged

The best solution for this type of minimal setup is Windows XP Embedded. The downside is that you have to be a Windows geek to compile a proper Windows XP Embedded enviroment for WinUAE.
There is also WinBuilder, which is better that nLite, but requires a more skillfull Windows user. Anyway, it is not better than Windows XP embedded.

I hope someone dares use Windows XP Embedded for this, and guide us on how to achieve that. With XP Embedded i witnessed a Windows XP build with a footprint of 15MB!
Old 15 January 2010, 18:13   #15
adolescent