English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Amiga Forever

Old 29 May 2016, 02:36   #1
grhmhome

Installing Amiga OS4.1 Classic Final Edition booting

Hello, I'm attempting to install Amiga 4.1 Final Edition with Amiga Forever 2016, but I'm unable to boot into the OS once I finish installing. I've followed the instructions on Amiga Forever's website, however, once I finish installing, I eject the CD ISO image and get a message stating I need to put in the CD. If I remove the boot floppy, I get a message stating: "Not a DOS disk in device DH0". I don't know what I'm doing wrong, as I've followed the instructions directly, but I could of missed something along the way, which seems odd.

A rundown of what I did. I copied the Amiga 4000 PPC desktop from Amiga Forever and renamed it to Amiga OS 4.1. After that, I created a 2GB hard disk file. Then, I added the boot disk and Amiga OS 4.1 install CD ISO. After I saved my work, I ran the desktop and installed the OS. After installing, I rebooted and ejected the CD, but then I'm given a message stating I need to put in the CD, however doing that will boot the cd. Ejecting the boot floppy will give me an error that I mentioned before about not being a DOS disk.

I don't know why I'm not able to get it to work.

Thanks for reading and for your time.

Old 30 May 2016, 22:13   #2
Cylon

Did you change the boot order in the PPC SCSI boot menu from CDROM to your harddrive?
Old 30 May 2016, 22:19   #3
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Try installing to the built in 300mb HD.
Making your own HD with AF never worked for me either. I ended up Installing through WinUAE and the copying the HDF to a copy of A4000PPC RP9.
Old 31 May 2016, 06:07   #4
hedders
Bumbling Newb

I ran into this as well. Basically it's a case of installing the correct file system driver in the newly created hard disk. The wrong one gets installed by default.

Cloanto really need to fix their install guide to include this step.
Old 01 June 2016, 07:12   #5
Viceroy

I had the same problem on Winuae, I tried all sorts of Youtube videos etc, I found this perfect tutorial on here, Not sure where it is on here but this worked a treat, many thanks to who ever posted this ;-)

How to install OS 4.0 Classic on WinUAE PPC

Please Note: PPC Emulation is in Beta. The quality of your OS 4.0 Classic installation under emulation in no way reflects on how it runs on REAL Amiga/AmigaOne hardware.
As a previous AmigaOne owner, I can assure you that Amiga OS 4.0 runs extremely smoothly and with a lot more stability than it does under emulation, where there are quite a few features that do not work as they do on real hardware.

This installation guide is written using MY experience of installing OS 4.0 Classic. There are probably many ways of getting this to work, but this is the method that I have used and know that it is possible. This method (At least part 1 and 2) will probably work for OS 4.1 Classic as well, but I do not own a copy to try it out.

I have gone through this guide step-by-step and done an additional setup myself, so I know that it works. If you are having problems, please check that you have followed ALL the numbered steps detailed below before asking any questions. I will try to get back to people as soon as I can about any issues.

Details about my computer system: (in case it matters)
Core i7 2700K
16GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce GTX 560

Emulation runs at a fairly reasonable speed considering what is being done, but don't expect a mega fast, use-for-everyday-tasks system.

The parts are going to be divided up into seperate posts in this thread.

Preparation, Configuration and Installation are the main 3.

I will reserve a post below that for OS 4.0 configuration (for things like networking) and tips and tricks that I have figured out. I hope to have this done in the next day or so. I doubt it will be done today, as I have work and a girlfriend to occupy my time as well.

The post below that will be reserved for FAQs

I give great thanks to Toni Wilen for making PPC emulation in WinUAE possible.

UPDATES
Updated Part 2 with a precautionary step (14a)
Replaced attached config file with correction (thanks to themamboman for pointing out that it was the wrong file)
Guide tested for Beta 13 and still working.
Added step 7a (thanks to AMIGASYSTEM for pointing out that this option was there)
Last edited by BinoX; 21 August 2014 at 10:39.
BinoX is offline Report Post Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message
Old 19 August 2014, 14:16 #2
BinoX
Miggy Man

Note: Part 1 is not needed since QEMU PPC core was added. The hard file can be partitioned and formatted using OS4 installer.

Part 1 - Preparing the hard file
-----------------------------------
Due to a few problems with emulation, the Partition Manager that comes with OS 4.0 does not function correctly. Also, due to reason I am not quite sure of (this may be my fault) I cannot get hdf to parition properly when PPC emulation is set up, so we'll go through the steps that I used to work around it. This will obviously be easier if you are installing OS 4.0 onto a real Amiga, as you can do everything from the boot disk.

These instructions may seem a little patronising in places, but I am being overly detailed as this is a step- by-step.

1) Launch WinUAE

2) On the quickstart page, select A1200 as the model and Basic non-expanded configuration.

3) Go to the CD and hard drives tab

4) Click "Add Hardfile"
5) At the bottom of the window there is a section titles "New hard disk image file". Type "2000" in the MB box
and click Create.

6) Naviagte where you wish to save the hdf file, give it a name and click save. (Remember where this is as you will need it later)

7) Change the "HD Controller" to IDE, 0

8) Click "Enable RDB Mode" and then click OK

9) Go to the floppy drives area and put the Workbench 3.1 install disk in DH0 (I'm assuming you know how to do this. If not, that is beyond the scope of this guide)

10) Click Start

11) Wait for Workbench to appear and then double click on the "Install 3.1" disk icon.

12) Go into the HDTools drawer

13) Launch HD Toolbox

14) Click "Change Drive Type"

15) Click "Define New..."

16) Click "Read Configuration" and then click "Continue" when the prompt appears

17) Click OK and then Click Ok again in the next window

18) Click "Partition Drive"

19) Click "Default Setup"

20) Click "Ok"

21) Click "Save Changes to Drive"

22) Click "Exit"

23) Press Ctrl + Amiga + Amiga to reboot the machine

24) Wait for Workbench to appear again. There will now be (possibly after a short delay) 2 NDOS devices.

25) Quick Format both of the NDOS devices. (I formatted UDH0 as DH0 and UDH1 and Work) - Explaining the formatting of drives is beyond the scope of this tutorial. I may follow up on that if there are enough questions.

26) Close down WinUAE

That is the end of Part 1 of the tutorial.
Last edited by prowler; 25 September 2014 at 21:13. Reason: Added Note at Toni Wilen's suggestion.
BinoX is offline Report Post Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message
Old 19 August 2014, 14:17 #3
BinoX
Miggy Man

Part 2 - Configuring WinUAE Settings
Please Note: These are only the most basic of essential settings detailed here (plus the enabling of a network card) I will go back through this tutorial at some point and add some optional setting to improve the user experience.

1) Load WinUAE

2) In Quickstart, change the model to A4000 and the configuration to 68030, 3.1 ROM, 2MB Chip + 8MB Fast

3) In "CPU and FPU" change the cpu to 68060 and tick the PPC box.

4) In "ROM" make sure that the Main ROM file is set to KS ROM v3.1 (A4000) - I use the Cloanto ROMs from Amiga Forever

5) In "RAM" there is a dropdown box with a "-" in it. Change this to be Cyberstorm PPC, set the Accelerator board memory to 128MB. Set Motherboard Fast to 0mb (none). Also Untick "Autoconfig Z2 fast ram" and "JIT Direct compatible Z3 memory mapping".

6) Next to "Accelerator board ROM File" click the "..." and select the "cyberstormppc_44.71.rom"

7) In "Expansions" select the Picasso IV Zorro III card. Enable the A2065 Z2 (in the bottom right) and select "SLIRP + Open Ports"

7a) Still in "Expansions". Make sure "uaescsi.device" is unticked.

8) In the "CD & Hard drives" section click "Add hardfile"

9) For the path, set it to the location of the hard file you made in part 1 of this tutorial.

10) Set the HD Controller to IDE, 0 and then click "OK"

11) Click "Add SCSI/IDE CD Drive"

12) Change HD Controller to IDE, 1

13) Click "Add CD Drive"

14) Configure the CD Drive to either point to a physical CD Rom drive on your machine with the OS 4.0 Classic CD in it OR Select an iso image file. (I personally used the CD the first time and the ISO for this walkthrough, so I know that both work)

14a) Make sure ALL THE TICK BOXES in the options area are unticked.

15) In "Floppy Drives" insert the Amiga OS 4.0 boot floppy into the drive.

16) SAVE YOUR CONFIGURATION
(I will attach my configuration file to this post also)

17) Click "Start" to begin emulation.

18) Wait (a long time) for the OS 4 setup workbench to display. During this you will see a brief blue screen, a flashing rainbow screen and a pink screen. It will then be black for quite a while.

This is the end of Part 2 of the tutorial. - Part 3 will be a basic guide to installation - but very very basic.
Attached Files
File Type: uae Tutorial Config.uae (19.0 KB, 944 views)
Last edited by BinoX; 21 August 2014 at 10:38. Reason: Added step 7a
Old 19 August 2014, 14:17 #4
BinoX
Miggy Man

Part 3 - AmigaOS 4.0 Classic Installation.

This tutorial continues on directly from the end of Part 2

Please remember that PPC emulation is currently very basic and slow. So there may be quite a wait between some of these steps and there may be long waits before windows are responsive.

1) Click "Proceed"

--delay--

2) Select your language from the displayed list. (I have only tried British English so far)

3) Go to the Country tab and select your country

4) Go to the Time zone tab and select your time zone.

5) Click "Use"

--delay--

6) Click "Proceed"

--delay--

7) Select your Keyboard type from the list and click "Use"

8) Watch a very basic workbench Window appear

9) Double Click "AmigaOS4-Installation"

--delay--

10) Click "Next >"

11) Read the licence agreement and then tick the "I have read and agree to the license agreement" checkbox

12) Click Next

13) Select "Amiga 4000" (if it is not already selected) and then click next

14) Click Next.

15) If the drive you want to install to (Which should be UDH0 if you have been following this tutorial all the way through) is not selected, then select it.

16) Click Next

17) Change the graphics card from "AGA" to "Picasso IV" and click next

18) Select your desired resolution (I chose 800x600@60)

19) Untick the Load the "cybppc.device" and click next

20) Click Next

21) Click Next

22) Click Next

23) Watch OS 4.0 install. It may pop up with a box some time during install asking if you want to overwrite files. Click "Always overwrite"

24) Continue to watch... (Or go and get some food, or sleep, or do something other than watching progress bars for a while)

-- very long wait--

25) Click Next

26) Click Finish

27) In the UAE menu click "Restart" and then reload your configuration - there seems to be a problem with doing a soft reset under emulation

28) Eject the CD and OS 4.0 Boot floppy.

29) Start the emulation

--long wait--

30) Enjoy your OS 4.0 classic emulated installation
Last edited by BinoX; 19 August 2014 at 14:23.
Old 19 August 2014, 14:18 #5
BinoX
Miggy Man

Part 4 - OS 4.0 Configuration

There instructions will be a lot more basic than the usual instructions and some knowledge of OS4 is assumed.

If you have any problems with these instructions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Link to supporting adf file: http://www.apidya.net/Guide-Files.adf

On the support floppy:
lha.lha - from OS4depot
wget-OS4 - from OS4 depot and extracted to fit on adf
Ethernet.lha - from Aminet

Installing Guide Support Files

1) Load WinUAE and boot to your OS4 installation.

2) Insert the supporting adf file (link above) into DF0:

3) Double click on the DF0 / "BinoX Guide Files" icon to get the listing of the drawer.

4) Double click on "lha.lha"

5) Set destination to C:

6) Untick lha.guide and lha_os4.readme

7) Click Start

8) Once extraction is complete, click quit

9) Copy "wget-OS4" to C:

10) Guide support files are now installed

Installing Network Card Support

1) Load WinUAE and boot to your OS4 installation.

2) Insert the supporting adf file (link above) into DF0:

3) Double click on the DF0 / "BinoX Guide Files" icon to get the listing of the drawer.

4) Double click on "Ethernet.lha"

5) Once UnArc has loaded, set the destination to "Devs:Networks"

6) Untick "readme.dev" and click start

7) Once the extraction is complete, click "Quit"

8) Open up your workbench drive and go into the "Prefs" drawer

9) Double click the "Compatibility" icon

10) Click "Add"

11) Navigate to "Devs:Networks", click "ethernet.device" and click "OK"

12) Click Save

13) Close all open windows.

14) Open up your workbench drive and go into the "Internet" drawer

15) Double click "New Connection"

16) Choose "Ethernet (Lan, Router, Cable modem)" and click Next

17) Select "Manual Configuration" and click next.

18) Scroll down until you see the "Commodore A2065" listing with the "ethernet.device" listed next to it, and then select it.

19) Click "Test this configuration"

20) It should say that the configuration test was passed. Click OK.

21) Click Next

22) Click Next

23) Untick "Store report in file"

24) Click Finish

25) You can close the console window now if you want

26) Networking is now set up. It is a little bit useless at the moment, as iBrowse currently doesn't work under emulation (written at time of Beta 13) but this will be solved in another step of the guide!

Installing a web browser (that works)

1) Complete the guide steps "Installing Guide Support Files" and "Installing Network Card Support" first

2) Open Shell

3) Navigate to the place that you want the browser to be installed to (e.g. "Work:" - It will automatically

create a subfolder)

4) Type "wget-OS4 -O aweb.lha http://www.os4depot.net/share/network/browser/aweb.lha" (not including quotes) and push enter/return

5) Wait for download to complete. (Occasionally, but rarely, this will fail. If it does, try again)

6) type "lha exa aweb.lha" (not including quotes) UnArc causes a divide by zero fault with some archives and

crashes the PPC atm - hence using lha from the shell

7) Wait for the extraction to complete

8) Close the shell

9) Open the Drive/Drawer where you extracted aweb.lha and go into the AWebPPC drawer

10) Double click "AWeb"

11) This will take a while to load - the "Loading fonts" part takes a long time

12) Enjoy using a browser on your emulated Amiga OS 4.0 - You can now use this to get whatever files you want from the internet and use UnArc (or lha from the shell if it crashes the emulation)

Tips and Tricks
UnArc sometimes crashes the PPC emulation - use lha from OS4 depot (or the support floppy linked above) for troublesome archives.
IBrowse does not work under emulation. I recommend using AWeb (from OS4depot) for general browsing. OWB does work, but is slow and runs out of memory quickly.
After following the Support files, Network Install and browser install guide you can easily download the OS 4.0 classic update from Hyperion and install it. - Tested and working fine.
AWeb downloads faster if you don't tell it the download location until after the download progress bar has finished
Old 01 June 2016, 21:46   #6
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viceroy View Post
I found this perfect tutorial on here, Not sure where it is on here but this worked a treat, many thanks to who ever posted this ;-)

How to install OS 4.0 Classic on WinUAE PPC
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=74776&p=1083243

Hint: You could have found that thread from your profile page by listing your previous posts under the Statistics tab.
Old 01 June 2016, 22:23   #7
Viceroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=74776&p=1083243

Hint: You could have found that thread from your profile page by listing your previous posts under the Statistics tab.
It was quicker for me to paste it, 10 mins before going to work
Old 03 June 2016, 12:10   #8
spannernick
Retro Nuts

If Amiga Forever offered a HDF image for download you would not need to install it,for all people that..

A.Have a copy of the disc.
B.Get a copy of the disc from them but be able to download installed HDF image.

Would make it easier.Don't you think,or do you want to install it,I know I wouldn't..?

(I posted this in the wrong area,now it's in the right one.. )
Old 03 June 2016, 18:50   #9
ma693541
Computer Wizard

I agree with you spannernick, giving them the serial number from the OS4.1 FE CD to unlock their secret or hidden download page would be enough, but they need to increase the size of the HDF image they have in AF 2016 to at least 1 GB.
Old 17 February 2017, 06:03   #10
amiga_Forever
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

Most of the stuff mentioned here is on Cloanto's support site anyway:

https://www.amigaforever.com/kb/16-127

Enjoy !!
Old 20 May 2017, 06:45   #11
MrDBUG

OFFTOPIC:
And they write "Amiga Forever 2016 was designed with a "PowerPC done right" goal" ... WinUAE "making PPC done right" is more like it ... ??

EDIT: OK, I just read the credits, they do credit Toni Wilen and others..

Last edited by MrDBUG; 20 May 2017 at 07:00.