English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 13 January 2010, 17:56   #1
Konstantine

programming on the amiga/amigaOS

Hello

Does anyone know if the amigaOne X1000 or any previous amigaOS has any C compilers?

Feel free to post links to any good sites, books etc. on subjects realted to amiga programming.

Cheers!

Old 13 January 2010, 18:07   #2
pmc
gone

Hello Konstantine.

Check this thread and read phx's post where he lists AmigaOS C compilers.

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=633442#post633442
Old 13 January 2010, 19:11   #3
Konstantine

Thanks mate Much appreciated!

Old 13 January 2010, 19:56   #4
kriz

Yes for sure we got C... But amigaOne X1000 ? Better stat with somethign that exists hehe..
Old 13 January 2010, 20:20   #5
Konstantine

hehe

I haven`t used my Amiga for about 10 years, and back then I was just using it for games. (Boy, do I miss Lotus, Moonstone and Speedball 2)

I only have an Amiga 500 now, but I used to have a 1200. Seriosuly thinking about buying a new 1200 from www.amigakit.com, but if the rumors are true, then the X1000 isnt that far away, so maybe I should wait.

Right now I`m back in college, studying Computer Science and I really miss the Amiga. But I know next to nothing about its architecture or language/OS/filesystem etc.

Back in the days the Amiga was a pure entertainment machine for me, except that I used it for small video productions, but I had no knowledge of programming back then. I`m starting to get a ok grasp of C/C++ and SDL now, so I just want to create some retro games :P

Old 13 January 2010, 20:28   #6
kriz

if you want the classic stuff, the 1200 is THE way... For more modern it can be interetsing, altough im more a Morphos man these days.. Using these old G4 mac mini with Morphos is really a dream for me.. CHeap also.
Old 13 January 2010, 20:37   #7
Konstantine

Is there communities today still making games or demos for the Amiga 500/600/1200 system? Links to sites?

Oh, and do you know if the X1000 is a try to get back into the mainstream market, or is it a pure hobbyist/enthusiast machine?

Old 13 January 2010, 21:06   #8
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konstantine View Post
Is there communities today still making games or demos for the Amiga 500/600/1200 system?
Of course
Old 13 January 2010, 21:14   #9
kriz

For sure new stuff, every month some new some slower than pthers though...

Mainstream if they have the money, but i doubt.. So its underground 4 ever i think.

http://Aminet.net - for Amiga downloads
http://Amiga.bbs.fi - For all amiga demos
Old 13 January 2010, 21:21   #10
pmc
gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konstantine
Is there communities today still making games or demos for the Amiga 500/600/1200 system? Links to sites?
Well, there's me... and the other chaps who are working on this:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=49025

It's all being done in assembly language though rather than C.
Old 13 January 2010, 21:49   #11
gilgamesh
Linux snob

If you want to program for AmigaOS, the maybe you want to have look at Aros (or Icaros), a free clone.

The X1000 probably won't have anything to do with classic Amiga on the hardware level. So the only link is AmigaOS.
Old 13 January 2010, 23:43   #12
NovaCoder

Quote:
Yep we are still making games on this site

Quote:
Oh, and do you know if the X1000 is a try to get back into the mainstream market, or is it a pure hobbyist/enthusiast machine?
We don't know what their long-term plans are but it is very unlikely that the X1000 will be anything but a hobbyist machine.
Old 14 January 2010, 02:12   #13
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Quote:
Does anyone know if the amigaOne X1000 or any previous amigaOS has any C compilers?
The development kit for AmigaOS 4.x comes with a fresh port of GCC (not like the old 68k versions) and I think VBCC. Clang will probably be on the way since the XCore toolchain is based on the Low-Level Virtual Machine (LLVM).

Keep in mind that PowerPC-based Amigas are not like the old classics you discussed earlier with regard to the A1200 and A500. They have more PC-like hardware selections with little support for custom chips outside of AmigaOS 4.0 for classics. AmigaOS 4.0 for classics still doesn't run many of the old games because of the partial memory-protection that was introduced with the 4.x series. As such, a base-level SAM440 series PPC model will sell for less than an '060 accelerated A1200 due to the lack of compatibility by the former with old games.

Most of the games for AmigaOS 4.x were ported from the PC using SDL (Simple Directmedia Layer). If you have an Intel PC with any mainstream operating system you'll have most of the AmigaOS 4.x games available for the PC also due to the cross-platform nature of SDL. If you want to see what software is available for free on AmigaOS 4.x see http://os4depot.net/.
Old 14 January 2010, 02:13   #14
Cammy

Last month no less than ten new Amiga games started production. Within two weeks, seven of them had entered a playable state, and most of them including the ones that didn't make it in by the contest deadline are still being worked on so that we'll have a nice pack of new Christmas games for the Amiga. This is from a games making contest we decided to hold, very last-minute, in December. You can download and play the games from here: http://amigachristmastree.condor.ser...mpetition.html

Once everyone is happy with their games (once we've playtested them, removed the bugs and added the finishing touches) we're going to release them on a new website we're working on, as well as selling a CD with all the games on it for a budget price.

If you're interested in getting back into Amiga games development, perhaps you'd like to give our next games making contest a go. There will be prizes to win, and lots of fun to be had by all!
Old 14 January 2010, 05:05   #15
Konstantine

Thanks a billion for all your replies!

Old 14 January 2010, 05:07   #16
desiv

I used D.I.C.E. (Dillon's Integrated C Environment) back in the day.
I really liked it. Simple to use. But simple as in command line straight forward. Not simple like all GUI, as there wasn't one.

desiv