English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 02 March 2005, 01:44   #1
ScottS

Question CD32 hangs system hard

I am totally brand new to this board, so I apologize if this had already been posted and I missed finding it.

(I still have my A500, A2000 with 68030 accelerator card, and CD32.)

I just recently found out about WinUAE, and decided to purchase the Amiga Forever package along with the plus package. I bought the plus package specifically to allow me to run my CD32 software on my PC.

I can get the CD32 banner screen to vome up fine. However, when I put in one of my CD32 disk I get an immediate hard hang. I mean the hang is such that I have to power cycle the system and then wait hours while Scan Disk does it's thing, over, and over, and over, several times.

My PC is an HP Pavilion 8870 with the 1.3GHz AMD Athalon, 384MB of RAM, and running Windows ME. Also, the system came with both an internal CDRW Plus, and an internal DVD/CD ROM drive.

Anyone have any ideas what I can do to get CD32 emulation to properly load the CD32 software, and not kill my system so drastically?

Thanks in advance,

ScottS

Old 02 March 2005, 05:07   #2
ScottS

No Longer hanging

I found the previous posts regarding updating the APSI driver. I've done that and no longer get the hangs, but now I can't get beyond the banner. WinUAE just won't load the CD32 disks now. It must recgonize them as the CDROM light comes on a few times after inserting the disk, and the mouse arrow turns into an hour glass. However it won't boot them.

ScottS

Old 02 March 2005, 08:37   #3
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Did you try ASPI 1.6x? 1.7 is broken.. (Usually it fails to see any real CD drives, only virtual ones..)

Copying wnaspi.dll and .sys (w9x/me only) from nero burning rom's installation directory to winuae's directory should also work. (if you have nero)
Old 02 March 2005, 19:26   #4
ScottS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen
Did you try ASPI 1.6x? 1.7 is broken.. (Usually it fails to see any real CD drives, only virtual ones..)

Copying wnaspi.dll and .sys (w9x/me only) from nero burning rom's installation directory to winuae's directory should also work. (if you have nero)
Hi Tony, thank you for your reply. What I upgraded to is Adaptec's version 4.71 drivers. I use their apsichk utility and I now have loaded and running APIX.VXD 4.71.1 and WNASPI32.DLL 4.71.1

Do I need to go back rev to get this working?

The only options I see for downloading from Adaptec's web site are versions 4.70, 4.71.1, and 4.71.2.

Thank you!!
ScottS

Last edited by ScottS; 02 March 2005 at 19:43. Reason: added more text

Old 02 March 2005, 22:35   #5
ScottS

Thumbs down

I was able to find ASPI v4.60 on the net. I've installed it, but still no luck. Now what happens is instead of th animated banner staying in motion, it now just stops. It looks like the previous hard hangs I was seeing, however it's not really hangin. It's just stops and does nothing else.

I then have to hit the power button on my PC and a window pops up for me to "End Task" for WinUAE, then it shuts down. I can't escape any other way.

I'm starting to think I'll never get this to work. (BTW, I have the original CD32 disks, and those are what are failing to boot/load.)

Thanks,
Scott

Old 03 March 2005, 07:17   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Download Nero demo version (www.ahead.de), install it and copy wnaspi32.dll and wnaspi32.sys (not sure about the name of .sys-file) to WinUAE's directory.

Final solution is to update to Windows 2000 or XP
Old 03 March 2005, 09:10   #7
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Have you considered updating WinUAE?
The WinUAE version shipped with the AmigaForever CD is hardly ever the latest.
Besides...
Quote:
My PC is an HP Pavilion 8870 with the 1.3GHz AMD Athalon, 384MB of RAM, and running Windows ME.
The problem might be Windows ME.
Usually if a software works on 95 AND 98 AND 98SE, it will fail on ME, for mysterious reasons. A Micro$oft ver$ion of Murphy'$ Law.
Old 03 March 2005, 20:20   #8
ScottS

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas
Have you considered updating WinUAE?
The WinUAE version shipped with the AmigaForever CD is hardly ever the latest.
Besides...

The problem might be Windows ME.
Usually if a software works on 95 AND 98 AND 98SE, it will fail on ME, for mysterious reasons. A Micro$oft ver$ion of Murphy'$ Law.
I know what you mean about Windows ME. I guess I should break down and upgrade to at least Windows XP Home Edition. I just have a hard time wanting to spend any money on a Microsoft problem... er... product.

However, I am seeing my Windows ME system freezing allot these days.

I am more of a UNIX person myself, but I'm "supposed" to be friendlier to the Microsoft world according to my boss...

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll try Tony's suggestion first by getting the Nero software and try that version of ASPI. Then consider moving to XP if that fails as well.

Thanks,
ScottS

Old 03 March 2005, 23:57   #9
Firthy2002
2nd era...

Send a message via ICQ to Firthy2002 Send a message via AIM to Firthy2002 Send a message via MSN to Firthy2002 Send a message via Yahoo to Firthy2002
Windows Me = WORST. OS. EVER.