English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 10 February 2011, 00:09   #1
Chiptune

Amiga CD32 Display problems

Hi guys, I have just joined the forum as I have become a CD32 owner.. and unfortunately have a problem.

I have a PAL TV that I use many consoles on, from a wii to a twin famicom. All work perfectly

With the CD32 however only the Rf lead works for a picture (and its poor quality). I want to use the s-video or av output (or whatever the one is called that uses the 3 yellow, white and red inputs)

When I use S-video (the small circular end cable) the picture is in black and white. If I use the 3 colours cable then the picture is horribly distorted and moves around and goes on and off..

Im using the same cable I use for other consoles and for those it works fine.

Any help would be really appreciated!

Thanks
Old 10 February 2011, 03:19   #2
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
Three cables is called composite, better know as compoSHIT. Bit better than RF, but that all.

S-video is miles better, so if your TV have this input, use it! Black & White on S-video indicates the console is using another (incompatible) colour system.
Old 10 February 2011, 07:33   #3
AmigaFun

Hello Chiptune, welcome to the forums.

This may sound daft, but make sure that on the TV you have selected 'S-Video' as an input. On our TV the AV inputs take both RGB and Composite and S-Video and you must select the correct input. The symptoms you describe sounds like it's just on composite (assuming you are checking this with just the S-Video plugged in)
We watched the entire film, Blair Witch project in black and white, thinking that was the was it was meant to be, only to find I had not pressed the button again on the remote for S-Video.
For our CD32, we have used a 'S-VIDEO' with phono audio plugs, to a SCART lead (ready made up)

If you have anything else with a S-Video output that is known, plug that in to check.
Also, years back we had problems with iffy S-Video, only to find that one pin had been pushed in in the plug. They are stupidly delicate I think.

Just a thought.

Last edited by AmigaFun; 10 February 2011 at 07:43. Reason: spelling
Old 10 February 2011, 12:39   #4
Chiptune

Hi guys, thanks for the responses..

Ive plugged in the s-video cable and it is still black and white, I have chosen S-video via the tv (as I dont have a remote) and no mode gives me colour.

The composhit (as you say haha) is the one that is all distorted..

I dont have anything compatible with the cd32 that has a scart lead.. i tried plugging the composite into a scart adapter and tried that but its the same distorted picture...

Whats the best cable I can buy for the cd32?

Thanks
Old 10 February 2011, 13:51   #5
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaFun View Post
Hello Chiptune, welcome to the forums.

This may sound daft, but make sure that on the TV you have selected 'S-Video' as an input. On our TV the AV inputs take both RGB and Composite and S-Video and you must select the correct input. The symptoms you describe sounds like it's just on composite (assuming you are checking this with just the S-Video plugged in)
We watched the entire film, Blair Witch project in black and white, thinking that was the was it was meant to be, only to find I had not pressed the button again on the remote for S-Video.
For our CD32, we have used a 'S-VIDEO' with phono audio plugs, to a SCART lead (ready made up)

If you have anything else with a S-Video output that is known, plug that in to check.
Also, years back we had problems with iffy S-Video, only to find that one pin had been pushed in in the plug. They are stupidly delicate I think.

Just a thought.
Aye, used to see this alot, where customers didnt know about the switch within the S-Video function, that doubled up as the normal Video (AV) connection.
Old 10 February 2011, 14:00   #6
orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkauer View Post
Three cables is called composite, better know as compoSHIT. Bit better than RF, but that all.
I disagree, composite/CVBS is much much better than RF. Most of analogue pro equipment uses CVBS out/in, for eg. Blankom SDB 209.
Old 10 February 2011, 14:07   #7
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
You can get little Scart Adapters like this: (With S-Video input)

Maybe one of these would help you?
Old 10 February 2011, 14:33   #8
kipper2k

May be a silly question, Are you sure the CD32 is not an NTSC model? that would only display in black and white
Old 10 February 2011, 19:10   #9
Chiptune

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
May be a silly question, Are you sure the CD32 is not an NTSC model? that would only display in black and white
I dont think so, its using a UK power supply.. and the rf signal works ok (as good as this poor quality method gets)

So I assume it is a PAL machine
Old 10 February 2011, 19:45   #10
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiptune View Post
I dont think so, its using a UK power supply.. and the rf signal works ok (as good as this poor quality method gets)

So I assume it is a PAL machine
The CD32 uses aquite a few electrolytic capacitors so for the cost of a few quid you would be able to get replacements, just need someone to put them in for you. Thats normally the next step for sick Amigas without getting too deep
Old 14 February 2011, 16:22   #11
Chiptune

Sound Problem Using S-Video

Well I managed to get the S-video cable working and the picture is amazing.. BUT now I dont have any sound...

Is this normal? I did try plugging phonos into the cd32 and then to the tv but this made the picture darker and unstable.. (plus no sound anyway)

any suggestions?

thanks
Old 14 February 2011, 20:12   #12
Chiptune

Just sorted it YAY

Using S-video for image and plugged in my composite cables into front of tv - cd32 and, hey presto, I have sound!
Old 14 February 2011, 22:34   #13
Chiptune

OOPS. spoke too soon..

I eventually got the s-video to work (it started off in black n white).. then I got the sound working by using a better cable from cdtv red & white phono to the red & white on front of tv..

It was ok for 30 mins or so, now it keeps flickering green stuff, constantly getting darker / lighter and generally fucking up..

I dont know whether it is to do with the pins in the s-video cable or whether the amiga itself has problems..

any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers
Old 15 February 2011, 02:26   #14
Chiptune

I think the Amiga is complete f*cked to be honest. now even using the rf lead results in green flickering and colour changes.. It can be fine for 10 minutes and then it goes crazy..

Does this mean the machine is broken internally?

I opened it up and everything seemed alright.. but then I dont know what Im doing..

Please can someone help me?
Old 16 February 2011, 05:24   #15
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
Most common problems are bad capacitors (the two bigger ones inside the CD32 are usually soldered the wrong way).

A bad or about-to-die power supply can be the culprit, too. But very unlikely in this case.
Old 16 February 2011, 09:06   #16
pandy71

S-Video SCART are usually non RGB SCART (usually second or third SCART in TV)
Old 17 February 2011, 05:13   #17
Djay
95th User

i recently bought a CD32 from an ebay seller, sadly i had to return it because the picture on composite was screwed, the rf picture worked but of course the picture was awful...

...the unit smelled of fish which is a sign that the caps are dead or dying

you could try talking to Amigakit.com as they could repair it... (if it is that problem)
http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...roducts_id=932

one of these days i am gonna ask them for commission