English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.WHDLoad

Old 01 April 2005, 20:37   #1
Feuertrunken

WHDLoad won't install

Hi

Well, I am currently trying to install WHDLoad, but each time I click the installer I get an error message saying "Unable to open your Tool Installer". I am using the latest version of Winuae (0992), set up as an 68040 with 4 MB Chip, 8 MB Z3-Fast and 8 MB RTG-Ram. I am using Kickstart v3.1 rev 40.68 and Workbench 3.1 and the latest version of WDHLoad. I have tried both the lha and the lzx compressed version of the installer.

Oh, and while I am at it ; How can I force a window to close on Amiga OS ? The output windows of lha (to name one example) wont close, even if I click on the upmost left button repeatedly. (I owned an Amiga way back, but it seems my memory has become a bit fuzzy)

Old 01 April 2005, 21:02   #2
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

You need to place the file called installer into system:C/ I've attached the file you need. Then run the whdload install again and it should be fine!

Also the version of lha you have cannot have the window closed, it's damn annoying as I used to use it. Just try to get another version of lha from somewhere.

Hope the info helps!
Attached Files
File Type: zip Installer.zip (72.4 KB, 4875 views)
Old 01 April 2005, 21:30   #3
TikTok

What if you press CTRL-C in the LHA output window?
Old 02 April 2005, 00:52   #4
Firthy2002
2nd era...

Send a message via ICQ to Firthy2002 Send a message via AIM to Firthy2002 Send a message via MSN to Firthy2002 Send a message via Yahoo to Firthy2002
It stops. (IIRC)
Old 02 April 2005, 01:45   #5
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Even if it does close it, you shouldn't have to.

It should close by normal methods.
Old 02 April 2005, 02:52   #6
Feuertrunken

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla
You need to place the file called installer into system:C/ I've attached the file you need. Then run the whdload install again and it should be fine!
Thanks, I got it running now. I have another question : I have downloaded & installed some files from Ancient Toys.
Why can I for example run Lemmings with an as of now yet unregistered version of WHDLoad while Moonstone complains that I need the registered version to run it ?

Another question about compatibility : If a game doesn't run, is it possible that I may have selected the wrong kickstart version, not compatible enough UAE settings etc. or is WHDLoad independent of the these issues ?

Bye

Old 02 April 2005, 04:13   #7
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feuertrunken
Thanks, I got it running now. I have another question : I have downloaded & installed some files from Ancient Toys.
Why can I for example run Lemmings with an as of now yet unregistered version of WHDLoad while Moonstone complains that I need the registered version to run it ?
Read the docs.

Some isntalls are made only for registered users of WHDLoad.

And WHDLoad should work regardless of your kickstart, that's what it is for.
Old 02 April 2005, 09:57   #8
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Yeah whdload 'should' work regardless of the setup you use, as long as it's a decent enough setup.

For whdload I'd recommend using an a1200 config with at least 8mb of fast ram.

I personally use: 68020, AGA, 2mb Chip, 16mb Z3-Fast, 3.0 roms, and I've had very good results with it. Very few games kick up a fuss with this setup and it's (more or less) the same setup as my real a1200 which I mainly use to play the games on.

And as Akira said, there are a handful of whdload games which need you to be a registered user. But we are talking a max of 20-odd games out of a possible 1700-odd so it's not too bad! I registered and I know I've got my money's worth!
Old 02 April 2005, 11:06   #9
StarEye
Zone Friend

Moonstone is worth the registration alone!
Old 02 April 2005, 17:52   #10
Feuertrunken

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla
n.
And as Akira said, there are a handful of whdload games which need you to be a registered user. But we are talking a max of 20-odd games out of a possible 1700-odd so it's not too bad! I registered and I know I've got my money's worth!
Yeah, I will most likely do the same. Playing Turrican with Diskettes only is not that much of a problem but with games with long loading times like Mad TV it really is killing the fun. Nonetheless, is there a list of the games which require the registered version ?
http://www.whdload.de/games/Moonstone.html doesn't say anything about needing it.

Old 24 December 2007, 19:43   #11
Sober1977

Im having this exact same problem too and I have downloaded the 'Installer' kindly provided above and copied it to my 'System' directory and iv also tried to copy it to the "C:" using Doctor Opus, but i get a message saying that the disk is full (it trys to copy it to floppy)

Regardless, it still comes up with the error message.

Im at my wits end with this i really am. Can someone help? Where exactly do I put this file when using a real Amiga 1200 using Doctor Opus?