English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 26 January 2008, 21:04   #1
Paulisse

"Stack overflow": any way to solve that problem?

Hello! I'm new to this board, so I apologize if my question has had several answers here in the past (I've tried to check the first 4 pages in this section, but didn't find anything related to that issue, in the titles of the various threads). Can you help? I think it's a well-known issue but has it a solution (I use WinUAE)? Can it be solved (at least on some ROM files) by updated versions of this emulator (I use version 0.8.22 R6 of this emu). Thank you for your help!

Old 26 January 2008, 21:39   #2
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Is this a stack overflow within the programs emulated by WinUAE or is it WinUAE as a PC program complaining of a stack overflow?
Old 26 January 2008, 22:15   #3
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

0.8.22? seriously, please update
Old 27 January 2008, 09:53   #4
Paulisse

Hi!

To Galahad: It is a message displayed within the emulator (no problem with UAE but with the file emulated by UAE).

To Toni Wilen: Yes, I think I'm gonna update WinUAE, though I'm not sure if it will help. I mean, I wonder if the problem is due to a limitation of the emulator (in that case, an update might solve the problem), due to a bad transfer from the original file to a floppy disk image, or due to a bad configuration of WinUAE on my part. I thought it may be a frequent issue, but maybe not after all, indicating I may be configuring something badly in WinUAE...

Thank you anyways!

Old 27 January 2008, 10:14   #5
Paulisse

Oooops, BTW Toni, thanks a lot for your work on WinUAE: I'm really grateful to every emu programmers who made a child-dream of playing games on several platforms they couldn't afford to buy at the time come true, particularly on Amiga (Dragon's Lair, Sword of Sodan, Battle Squadron/Hybris, Defender of the Crown), CBM C64/C128 (the games on those machines were frequently more impressive than on the Amstrad CPC, some even wouldn't be developped for the Amstrad CPC whereas they would be released on the CBM; one thing was frightening however with the CBMs: the issue of the poor floppy disc drives (1571 or something like that. Were they SO bad???)) and MSX (Rastan, Vampire Killer/Castlevania, Fantasm Soldier/Valis, Ys...).

I owned successively a Texas Instruments TI99/4A (Aaaah, Space Invaders !), a Thomson MO5 (a french flop with gummy keys), an Amstrad CPC464 then an Amstrad CPC6128 (user-friendly, inexpensive, and widely owned by french youth at the time), an Atari 520 STE (a quantum leap from the Amstrad CPC for me, though I only got it by 1990), before I went to the Video Games Consoles and IBM PCs, and every other Personal Computers collapsed, except for Apple Mac

Well, sorry for being emotional , but really THANK YOU for WinUAE!

Old 27 January 2008, 10:18   #6
NLS
Ancient User

Updating WinUAE is a matter of replacing the folder you have with the zip contents of the latest version (1.4.5 yes ONE dot four dot five).

Now since WinUAE author says you should update, he probably means it.
(because how can someone care to debug something already debugged years ago) And after all in emulators "if it works don't touch it" does NOT apply (each version usually fixes and adds something, why wouldn't you want to have this).

So when you have the latest, tell us exactly when and how your stack overflow happens and maybe we can help (if it is WinUAE Toni probably will help, if in an Amiga program, all the rest of us).
Old 27 January 2008, 10:23   #7
NLS
Ancient User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulisse View Post
1571 or something like that. Were they SO bad???
Yes (esp. 1541).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulisse View Post
an Amstrad CPC464 then an Amstrad CPC6128 ..., an Atari 520 STE ...
Oh boy did you take all the wrong turns or what.
Old 27 January 2008, 10:37   #8
Paulisse

Hi again! Thanks for your messages, NLS: Win UAE "ONE dot four dot five" ( ) works fine so the issue is solved!

"Oh boy did you take all the wrong turns or what": Well, there are some who will think "Oh, it seems a good idea to buy shares of Eurotunnel: sounds promising!". And next thing they'll know, the shares they just bought drop 90% on the stock exchange. I MAY belong to that category, but fortunately I'm no financial investor so my mistakes (or my father's, to be more precise and limit my responsibility ) are limited to bad choices on computers.

Anyways, even the MO5 with its "type with a hammer on those #&@!! keys" has left fond memories of childhood innocence to me And the Alan Sugar computer was really easy to plug, was providing a monitor (yes, the GREEN one, not even the colour one: don't laugh!) so as to be independent from the single house television, had a quite efficient floppy disc drive (though not a "standard", since it was using 3-inches expensive and hard-to-find FD, requiring moreover to turn the 178-Ko-per-side FD so as to read the other side ), and simply... was the CHEAPEST available (except for Sinclair computers)! And as for the STE, it was 200 euros less expensive than the A500 at the time my mother bought it, so I guess you couldn't expect her to choose a more expensive computer on the basis that, "yes, it has more impressive graphics". Besides, I was happy to be able to play "Defender of the Crown" on a 16-bits computer (though the Amstrad CPC version by UbiSoft was really impressive for an 8-bits computer)... up to the moment when, after getting it 2nd-hand for 20 euros in 1996 (always up-to-date, I am ), I realised it was NOT functionning on a STE but only on a STF !!!

See ya!

Last edited by Paulisse; 27 January 2008 at 10:43.

Old 27 January 2008, 11:56   #9
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

Hello & welcome to the EAB!

Obviously this is an Amiga forum, but it's all retro...
...I have fond memories of the CPC myself.
Old 27 January 2008, 13:17   #10
Paulisse

Thank you, Charlie (and sorry for the digression: I got carried a little away !)

Old 27 January 2008, 13:45   #11
NLS
Ancient User

Don't worry, CPC was (for some unknown to me reason) very successful in my country.

Of course nothing bitted the Amiga.

I made a few wrong turns myself too... I am not sure the almost 2000 euros (in today's currency) I bought my A4000/040 back then were worth it.

Anyway good that you are (FINALLY) updated with WinUAE.