English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 16 October 2019, 14:01   #21
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen M View Post
That piece of pish is not a mini amiga but rather a raspberry pi in a 3d printed case with a floppy drive. But do not let that full you as it cannot boot to the floppy drive but rather its just used to make an ADF of your disk to run in emulation.

The C64 mini is OK and yes there is a full sized version with working keyboard planned but Amiga will unfortunately never see this because the IP is spread over to many houses with some of those happy to flog the dead horse instead of looking for opportunity. Its actually sort of funny how Commodore sat on the laurels of Amiga for years and didn't really invest and now the current owners are doing exactly the same thing.

I suppose in some ways the Vampire stand alone could be classed as the Amiga mini its just not priced the same. Actually the minimig maybe ticks that box too but then again is FPGA emulation an Amiga? Maybe if you printed MOS on the FPGA? That's another topic though.

In 11 years time I honestly think things will be much as they are now except I expect the current Amiga Fad to of passed and prices to be back to normal for what will be 40 year old tech.
Yep fully aware of what the ARMIGA is inside. But the same is true of most of the mini consoles. None are true hardware. Just modern mobile systems running EMU.

...but for the mass market who just want to "plug and play" that works.

Love my Atari Flashback 9 with 1001 games side loaded via SD card. I dont care that the "cool kids" hate AtGames products.

it works.
Old 17 October 2019, 09:50   #22
Pyromania

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfruit View Post
guru will still be meditating!
lol!

Old 17 October 2019, 11:02   #23
sneckburger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 005AGIMA View Post
Yep fully aware of what the ARMIGA is inside. But the same is true of most of the mini consoles. None are true hardware. Just modern mobile systems running EMU.

...but for the mass market who just want to "plug and play" that works.

Love my Atari Flashback 9 with 1001 games side loaded via SD card. I dont care that the "cool kids" hate AtGames products.

it works.

Not seen an Armiga in action but I'm guessing its just WinUae on a Raspberry pi in a 3d printed case with a floppy drive connected to it.
Not really just plug and play as you need to learn how to set up and use WinUae buy a controller and the thing looks a bit home made in a 3d printed case. most people who it appeals to would probably make their own and do away with the floppy drive, which to me seems pointless if you don't own any floppies.

I was thinking it would need to be similar to the C64min and Mega drive mini. Simple select game from a list maybe a nod to Workbench and be bundled with about 200 games and programs maybe a mouse 2 controllers and USB input for a keyboard with HDMI output.
Old 17 October 2019, 13:20   #24
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

I could be wrong as I've never used an ARMIGA and I have zero reason to defend it...and I'm also not saying it's anywhere near as professional looking a product as other "minis"...and I'd prefer an actual mini as said....

but.....

Looks like it's plug and play, ready to run to me.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 17 October 2019, 14:32   #25
sneckburger

There must be a reason why its not as much as a success as the "minis"
Poor marketing perhaps?
Old 17 October 2019, 15:29   #26
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneckburger View Post
There must be a reason why its not as much as a success as the "minis"
Poor marketing perhaps?
Perhaps, or maybe, like you said, because it looks like a 3D Printed box...which is what it is.

They dont hide the fact. In fact they're proud. And if that was the most cost effective solution for them at the time, then fair enough.

But when I came back to the fold, I considered one in my initial rush of OMG AMIGA AMIGA...and the look of the case was in all honesty, one factor that turned me off shelling out.

After re-watching a couple of videos on them, I'd argue I'm tempted again. if for no other reason than the ability to make adf's from my original disks for preservation.

...but all the ADF's I'll ever need are already available so......hmm dunno.

Probs more tempted (and going back on topic) to stick with original hardware, which apart from original custom chips, is just getting more and more support as time goes on (new PCB's, cases, builds).

So between original hardware at one end, and excellent PC emulation on the other.....the inbetween maybe doesn't have the market?

Meh give it a better looking and properly molded case, and bundle in a USB Comp Pro, and maybe it would sell better?
Old 17 October 2019, 16:29   #27
UberFreak

I predict the only thing different in 2030 is, we will all be 10 years closer to our grave (or already in it).
Everything else will stay the same, or get worse...

I'm a pessimist, sue me
Old 18 October 2019, 00:56   #28
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromania View Post
2020 is in a few months, is the Amiga where you thought it would be ten years ago?
I thought it would be much less, then it is now.
10 years a go, it was 2009, and I wasn't look much into retro scene (only peak here and there), and this last 10 years.. BUM... many games, many accelerators.
In the meantime, I bought A500 with Aca 500+, and next year (if I save my funds), I'd like to buy vampire standalone.
If next 10 years will be like last 10 years, I will be very, very happy man.

Of course, we could argue that, 1999-2009 wasn't really a time for retro stuff, because all these stuff, wasn't really that retro back then..

But still...

Quote:
I don't know about you but a world were death is cured would be a bad one.
Can't agree more.

--------------

And to answer the OP question:
If some disasters, don't occur us, I expect (and hope) for the nice days of Amiga. I was thinking myself "will Amiga live, after all they possessed it - die", and after I saw so many people online, claiming that played lot's of games with their daughter's, and son's, I am assure the Amiga will live, if only like a tiny candle flame, but it will be here.

I'd like to ask maybe different question:
What if have a Delorean, from "Back to the Future", and could go back in time (let's say 1990), and talk to C= engineers, and had the possibility to enter Mehdi Ali room, what would we do?
But that's the question for another thread.
Old 18 October 2019, 01:52   #29
redblade
Zone Friend

Maybe because of Spectre exploit and other viruses/spyware old hardware might be wanted. i.e Pentium IV and retro computers.
Old 18 October 2019, 02:59   #30
Pyromania

Quote:
Perhaps, or maybe, like you said, because it looks like a 3D Printed box...which is what it is.

They dont hide the fact. In fact they're proud. And if that was the most cost effective solution for them at the time, then fair enough.

But when I came back to the fold, I considered one in my initial rush of OMG AMIGA AMIGA...and the look of the case was in all honesty, one factor that turned me off shelling out.

After re-watching a couple of videos on them, I'd argue I'm tempted again. if for no other reason than the ability to make adf's from my original disks for preservation.

.\
I tried to buy a few of these earlier this year and they were never available.

Last edited by Pyromania; 18 October 2019 at 03:02. Reason: Update
Old 18 October 2019, 06:23   #31
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromania View Post
I tried to buy a few of these earlier this year and they were never available.
Yeah I note on the EOI google form now, they tell a bit of a story.

My summary would be that they found themselves in a place where it was choose to expand...or....not.

And they chose not.

A choice I can understand when you've invested your own personal money. It would be scary. Expand on a spike in perceived interest? On a niche market product with no resell or upgrade path?

What would be dangerous sadly.

So they probably took the wise choice and are not just sitting in limbo waiting on EOI's to roll in, if any.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...WYHfw/viewform

From "stock alert" link on:
https://www.armigaproject.com/

Click on the original above in case they update it, but at time of posting this:
"Early this year we had to make a decision based on the results from 2017: take a mayor leap in industrialisation and increase the volumen, which will require our full dedication, or stop making the hardware altogether.

This, however, is not the end of the project, just the production. The software and support will go on on our side. In addition, we are open to individuals or companies with the "industrial muscle" to join the project and handle the production and distribution side. May you be interested, or know someone that might be, don't hesitate in contacting us back "

The form then allows you to still register your interest in a unit, including colour options.
Old 18 October 2019, 06:55   #32
chip

Since we are talking of the future, it's really impossible that some companies decide to re-create the original hardware ?

I mean, an "original" and "new" Amiga 500 in 2030 !
Old 18 October 2019, 11:08   #33
sneckburger

A friend of mine came to play Sensi Soccer on My Amiga and instantly wanted one as it took him back to his youth.
Then I told him how much it cost me..
£200 for the Amiga
£100 for the Indivision Mk2
£50ish for the SD card and adaptors (pre loaded with WHDload games)
£100 for the Accelerator.

I didn't get to the new a1200 case, Gotek drive, wireless mouse adaptors and all the joysticks I'd bought and the same again for an accelerated A600 I use to play the older games.

He was soon put off the idea as he only want to play sensi and Ik+ and maybe a few others. He's not a PC owner either and the phone emulators are awkward to set up and the screen touch controls are rubbish.

There's NO alternative to play Amiga games and all my old school friends had an Amiga, but I'm betting I'm the only one MAD enough to spend close to a £1000 on Amiga Hardware.
Old 18 October 2019, 12:10   #34
sneckburger

Thinking about it more I think the CD32 would be an ideal Mini Project.
It would determine the controllers have option to plug in a usb mouse and keyboard (optional extra or just a generic one).
While the Buzz is still around on Mini Retro consoles it would be a good time NOW to get these in the shops.

I'm spending my money already on something that doesn't even exist!... But maybe in 2030?
Old 18 October 2019, 14:34   #35
Glen M

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneckburger View Post
Thinking about it more I think the CD32 would be an ideal Mini Project.
It would determine the controllers have option to plug in a usb mouse and keyboard (optional extra or just a generic one).
While the Buzz is still around on Mini Retro consoles it would be a good time NOW to get these in the shops.

I'm spending my money already on something that doesn't even exist!... But maybe in 2030?
While I think you're correct I can imagine the threads of hatred and disgust over a CD32 mini. The CD32 itself already gets much undeserved hatred in the community and a mini version would only add fuel to the fire.

In fact if I win the 170 million euro millions jack pot next time I'll buy all the rights to Amiga and make the mini CD32 a reality then just sit back and watch haha.
Old 20 October 2019, 15:47   #36
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

Quote:
While I think you're correct I can imagine the threads of hatred and disgust over a CD32 mini. The CD32 itself already gets much undeserved hatred in the community and a mini version would only add fuel to the fire.

In fact if I win the 170 million euro millions jack pot next time I'll buy all the rights to Amiga and make the mini CD32 a reality then just sit back and watch haha.
The CD32 gets hate?

I was under the assumption the CD32 was the holy grail these days? (except for the A4000).

They disapear from ebay like there's no tomorrow. Meanwhile, I'm observing more and more A1200's crop up and go for less than A500's....which is GREAT.....coz that's what I want next
Old 21 October 2019, 10:34   #37
sneckburger

I would market it clearly that the unit would play a variety of ALL Amiga Classics not just the ones limited to the CD32.
There could be picture of the A500, A600 A1200 and CD32 on the box artwork along with screen shots of the games on the back.
IMO the CD32 case would be neater than a plastic imitation keyboard that doesn't work.
The CD32 mini would be competing with the current Mini console market and who knows 2nd time round might be a success! LOL

What this community wants is probably different to what would sell to the masses.
but that been said it could easily be something for both.

Last edited by sneckburger; 21 October 2019 at 10:40.
Old 21 October 2019, 13:09   #38
chocolate_boy

Quote:
The CD32 gets hate?

I was under the assumption the CD32 was the holy grail these days? (except for the A4000).

They disapear from ebay like there's no tomorrow. Meanwhile, I'm observing more and more A1200's crop up and go for less than A500's....which is GREAT.....coz that's what I want next
The CD32 definitely has a reputation online now as a “bad console”, like the Atari Jaguar. Mostly thanks to American Youtubers like AVGN and GameSack doing scathing reviews of it in recent years.
Old 21 October 2019, 14:30   #39
Glen M

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolate_boy View Post
The CD32 definitely has a reputation online now as a “bad console”, like the Atari Jaguar. Mostly thanks to American Youtubers like AVGN and GameSack doing scathing reviews of it in recent years.
I haven't watched the AVGN episode but I have watched the gamesack review a few times and to be honest I mostly agree with them in that the games library didn't really look much like a 32bit console and more like 16bit. I personally don't like the CD32 being lumped in with the 32bit consoles (saturn, playstation etc) as it obviously doesn't compete, doesn't come close, but setting it against the 16 bit consoles Mega Drive and SNES it can hold its own. Yes its still lacking in some areas but it makes up in others.

People say it failed but it was the best selling console in the UK on the year of its release so in that respect it did ok.
Old 22 October 2019, 02:59   #40
idrougge

Best selling console? Don't you mean best-selling CD console?