English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - General

Old 28 May 2020, 20:15   #1
Weaselrama

Coffin OS on FS-UAE (Video)

Greetings,

Krzysztof Radzikowski has published a video on Youtube with instructions on installing Coffin OS in FS-UAE.

A few caveats -

1. I will try this once Coffin finishes downloading. It's rather large.

2. A few of us have been discussing this with Krzysztof on social media and at this point, no one sees a reason why it wouldn't install in WinUAE in much the same manner.

3. Some of the applications are built for Ammx/080 such as RiVA and will require being switched out. When/if I get this installed successfully, I will update this post with the non-compatible apps I find.

That's all. I have no further information at this time. If you have any specific questions I would be happy to pass them along or you can leave them in the Youtube video comments section.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 29 May 2020, 18:13   #2
Weaselrama

Before you download and install Coffin OS, you should be aware of the following challenge to its legal status. I was not aware of the controversy:

https://www.amiga-news.de/en/news/AN...-00011-EN.html
Old 29 May 2020, 20:25   #3
DamienD
disengaged

Oh we know; and hence why I moved it out of the News section that you originally posted this thread in...

Also, maybe it's just me; but why would one want to run this via emulation anyway as opposed to real Workbench?

Doesn't make sense.
Old 29 May 2020, 21:25   #4
Retro1234
Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post

Also, maybe it's just me; but why would one want to run this via emulation anyway as opposed to real Workbench?

Doesn't make sense.

Sorry Damien that makes no sense ??? ClassicWb, AmiKit should be emulated aren't "real" Workbench???
Old 29 May 2020, 21:28   #5
DamienD
disengaged

What?

ClassicWB is based on a Workbench installation (you need the original disks when setting up) and is an extension with freely available applications / programs.

No idea about AmiKit as I've never used it...

CoffinOS on the other hand... why do you think there's legal action towards this OS?
Old 29 May 2020, 21:29   #6
Retro1234
Boo

and this is different how?

You edited your post but you say legal blah because it uses Workbench but then say it's not real Workbench sorry don't get it.
Old 29 May 2020, 21:30   #7
Weaselrama

Quote:
Oh we know; and hence why I moved it out of the News section that you originally posted this thread in...

Doesn't make sense.

I suppose because for some of us, emulation is all we have. I'm a retiree. I don't have the money to invest in actual hardware and then have it serviced. I have a single laptop, that's it, along with my licenses for Amiga software such as iBrowse and MUI, among others, not to mention the 3.1, 3.1.4, and the 3.5/3.9 install media I own. Amigans have to have a lot of curiousity about new things to keep their old OS alive and kicking.

What is your definition of a "real" Workbench?
Old 29 May 2020, 21:35   #8
DamienD
disengaged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro1234 View Post
You edited your post
Who edited who's post... I noticed you changed yours since original.

Quote:
but you say legal blah because it uses Workbench but then say it's not real Workbench sorry don't get it.
I couldn't care less about Vampire or CoffinOS, so am not an expert...

...but from what I've read it's a modified / hacked version of Workbench without permission.
Old 29 May 2020, 21:38   #9
Retro1234
Boo

Ok that makes it not real in your eyes. That's fine, it was like you were saying it was a totally different OS or something.
Old 29 May 2020, 21:40   #10
DamienD
disengaged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselrama View Post
I suppose because for some of us, emulation is all we have.
...and so do I, only emulation for me.

Quote:
I'm a retiree. I don't have the money to invest in actual hardware and then have it serviced. I have a single laptop, that's it, along with my licenses for Amiga software such as iBrowse and MUI, among others, not to mention the 3.1, 3.1.4, and the 3.5/3.9 install media I own. Amigans have to have a lot of curiousity about new things to keep their old OS alive and kicking.
You're totally missing the point of my post... why would someone who emulates use CoffinOS as opposed to Workbench?

As I said to Boo Boo; from my understanding it's a modified / hacked version of Workbench without permission; and suited to / has features for Vampire accelerators.

Quote:
What is your definition of a "real" Workbench?
Anything Workbench that is legal / licensed; or any product i.e. ClassicWB / BetterWB that use these without modification.
Old 29 May 2020, 21:47   #11
DamienD
disengaged

Quote:
Ok that makes it not real in your eyes. That's fine, it was like you were saying it was a totally different OS or something.
See also my response to Weaselrama i.e. "and suited to / has features for Vampire accelerators."

So again, it makes no sense to use in emulation.

...but knock your socks off guys; and support the Vampire team's illegal practices if you so wish
Old 29 May 2020, 21:54   #12
Weaselrama

Quote:
CoffinOS on the other hand... why do you think there's legal action towards this OS?
Can you demonstrate there is current legal action against Apollo or any member of the Coffin OS team, that is, beyond what is insinuated in the above news article? Jim Drew, the owner of Fusion and PCx filed a complaint and to the best of my knowledge, his software was removed from the distro in 2018, I believe. That is, it was removed in r51. Coffin is now r56. I cannot find any further legal info regarding Coffin dated after that. Jim's was the ONLY challenge I'm aware of to Coffin and it was resolved to his satisfaction.
Old 29 May 2020, 21:58   #13
DamienD
disengaged

Weaselrama; I'll repeat what I've already said, hence no interest in wasting my time investigating what you've said I should do...
I couldn't care less about Vampire or CoffinOS.
You may want to read this thread though: MUIMapparium

...and I'm sure there are others.
Old 29 May 2020, 22:24   #14
Weaselrama

Quote:
Weaselrama; I'll repeat what I've already said, hence no interest in wasting my time investigating what you've said I should do...
I couldn't care less about Vampire or CoffinOS.
You may want to read this thread though: MUIMapparium ...and I'm sure there are others.
I have. A little bit of investigation on my part revealed that Apollo has the same policy as EAB and Grandis and many other Amiga sites. If challenged, they will gladly remove offending titles or links.
Old 29 May 2020, 22:32   #15
DamienD
disengaged

Whatever mate; that's why Gunnar and his team never respond to any questions / comments about legality when they've been brought up... it's far easier to just ignore and sweep under the carpet; yet continue selling the product with questionable OS included

Do you really think he gives money from every Vampire sold to the rights owner of the Workbench OS that's been included / modified?

Anyway...and just like the majority of Vampire threads on EAB; they always end up in heated discussions / arguments / questions about legality etc.

This thread didn't deserve News status i.e. broadcast across the whole Abime network; and it doesn't sit well in the Amiga scene section either.

Moved to where it belongs; OT - General.
Old 29 May 2020, 22:38   #16
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
3. Some of the applications are built for Ammx/080 such as RiVA and will require being switched out. When/if I get this installed successfully, I will update this post with the non-compatible apps I find.
CoffinOS is a normal Amiga OS that includes applications and libraries belonging to different OS, native Ammx applications are counted on the finger and almost always have the equivalent 68k. Riva are also in 68k version even if it's an obsolete Video Player that doesn't support any "modern" video format, better to use FFPlayer.

CoffinOS starts quietly in emulation, the commands in the Startup-sequence for the "Vampire" as the Drivers are ignored.
Old 29 May 2020, 22:53   #17
Weaselrama

Yeah, I got rid of RiVA long ago. FFplay is wonderful. I never thought I could play full-length movies on a 68k Amiga. 720p/1080p however tend to stutter so I knock them down to 480p and they play great. Of course, we were never supposed to be able to play mp3s, open jpegs, PNGs, and certainly not WebP (!!) pics, play Doom, Duke, Quake, or other titles, browse the Internet (and certainly not CSS formatted sites) and video? Forget it. Those FFMpeg guys are amazing for supporting Amiga 68k!

Now...if only we had a modern Word Processor. I can dream...sorry for going off on a tangent. Thanks for the info as always! I hope work on AfA One is proceeding to your satisfaction.
Old 29 May 2020, 23:00   #18
AMIGASYSTEM

I'm also a retiree, AfA One continues to be improved but unfortunately for the reasons that I explained several times at the moment I can not make it available, I can still give my support to those who need it.
Old 29 May 2020, 23:08   #19
Weaselrama

I fully understand. I follow the work on a lot of stuff AROS/Icaros-related. It doesn't interest me personally as far as running it but I know there are a lot of fans of your work.