English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 19 August 2007, 21:15   #1
mabus
Zone Friend

Phase5 Cyberstorm PPC - dead board?

Hello all,

A friend of mine recently sent me a collection of what he calls "broken hardware". In addition to an old laptop (which works!), one of the cards was a neat CPU card for the Amiga . It is a CYBERSTORM PPC from the company Phase5. I was hoping that this wasn't broken too! Unfortunately it seems to be...

As far as I can tell it has a 060 CPU rated at 50 MHz, and a 604e clocked at 233MHz. It also has a built in SCSI controller! So quite a neat piece of hardware!

The only problem is it does not seem to work at all. I have tried it in the Amiga 3000 and an Amiga 4000 with the same result. The power LED of the machine keeps flashing rapidly, and the screen never turns on.

I have used 70ns memory from a Cyberstorm MKII 040 card, which I know is good memory - so it doesn't seem to be a memory problem - unless this kind of card needs different memory?

I am wondering if there are common/known problems with these cards and whatnot, and if there are things I can try. I am a bit reluctant to try and replace the 68k CPU, as it seems to be mounted on a very fragile socket and I don't have proper equipment to remove it - afraid to cause damage to the card.

I guess sending to Amigacenter in France for repair might be an option. I think it would definately be worth it !
AdSense AdSense  
Old 19 August 2007, 21:30   #2
AMIGAZ
Amiga-Mad

Send a message via ICQ to AMIGAZ
Did you get a flashing red square box with an error message or just a black screen?
Old 19 August 2007, 21:35   #3
mabus
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGAZ View Post
Did you get a flashing red square box with an error message or just a black screen?
Just a totally black screen and flashing power LED (rapidly).
Old 19 August 2007, 21:56   #4
BinoX
Miggy Man

No obvious bulging of any capacitors?

Alternatively, You can send it to me and I'll have a look at it as well. (That is a serious offer not taking the mick or anything)

Edit: I mean sending it to me when I get the other thing off you in a couple of weeks (if you can wait that long)

Last edited by BinoX; 19 August 2007 at 21:59. Reason: more info
Old 19 August 2007, 22:25   #5
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

You're best off sending it to JJB at Amiga Centre France. He's got a lifetime experience repairing them.
Old 19 August 2007, 23:14   #6
keropi

also the csppc mem banks are filled in pairs only. so you need to fill bank 1+3 and 2+4 . no other combo is allowed, meaning you can use either 2 or 4 simms ONLY. using 1 or 3 simms does not work...
maybe you did not fill the ram the correct way?
Old 20 August 2007, 10:30   #7
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

The CSPPC works with no ram fitted though and I am sure he tried that.

JJB would charge you about €100 to fix it, and nothing if he cannot fix it (except postage). Email him for a more accurate quote.

Considering this is a €400+ board when working I think it would be worth doing.

Before you are sending it to JJB consider getting a v6 MC68060RC50 with a mask E41J. These are the latest 060's that overclock to 100MHz.

You could send it to JJB with the card for fitting at the same time ask him to change the jumpers so the 060 clock source comes from oscillator 3, ask him to add an oscillator socket and crystal for socket 3.

With that configuration you would have the choice of a much higher clock rate (75MHz-100MHz) for your 68060.

You would need the latest flash for the CSPPC which allows you to slow the RAM timing but I am sure JJB could flash it too.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~davem2/...ock/csppc.html

Last edited by alexh; 20 August 2007 at 10:45.
Old 20 August 2007, 12:33   #8
mabus
Zone Friend

@BinoX:
There is no sign of damage to the capacitors, no bulging or leaks or anything. I could send you the card for tests but it may be worth sending it straight to france? I will do some more tests with different SIMMs etc, but it seems to be a CPU problem (the caps lock test as mention in another thread does make the caps LED freeze after a number of presses).

I think it's definately worth the 100 to get it fixed.

@alexh:
Getting a v6 MC68060RC50 with a mask E41J sounds like a good idea. I see there is space for an extra oscillator on the card, which is probably what you were referring to. Is this CPU easy to source? Could the Amiga Center get hold of one of those and set it up? It would certainly be worth a bit to get the fastest 060 ever I suppose extra cooling would be required for such a setup ...

Anyway, thank you all for all your help! Very helpful as always !!
Old 20 August 2007, 12:41   #9
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Is this CPU easy to source?
They are about €70 inc postage on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=140135731521

PM that seller and ask if he can sell you one for 70.

You could perhaps flog your old 060 for about €40 later.

Quote:
Could the Amiga Center get hold of one of those and set it up?
I have no idea, they say they sell 060's, but which one you'd have to ask him.

Quote:
It would certainly be worth a bit to get the fastest 060 ever
Absolutely. I keep meaning to send my CS MKIII and V6 060 to JJB to get fixed but I cannot justify €100 yet

Quote:
I suppose extra cooling would be required for such a setup ...
A regular 060 passive heatsink should be enough. Ask JJB if he will fit a heatsink. The V6 chips run very cool.
Old 20 August 2007, 13:04   #10
keropi

I have an upgraded 060 on my 2nd csppc.
JJB even made the oscillators socketed, so I can choose whatever speed I want for the 060/dma ...
_BUT_
it was an expensive rework (and risky for obvious reasons, but I can vouch JJB is an excellent techinician), I had to get my own new-version 060 (amigakit.com) and JJB kept my old 060 for a price. He also put a nice heatsink on the 060
you must ask him for a price quote.
there is also something else u need to know.. if you use zorro based cards, they maybe don't like the new extra-fast 060... my goldengate486slc only worked on the default 50mhz speed...
Old 20 August 2007, 14:29   #11
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabus
.... I see there is space for an extra oscillator on the card, which is probably what you were referring to.
hmmm all the pictures i have seen are populated with 2 oscilators, i would of figured this would be required to run both the PPC and the Moto at differing speeds? if you are short one Crystal... this could be a root cause of problem.
Old 20 August 2007, 17:35   #12
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

There is "space" for 3 oscillators on a CSPPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by keropi View Post
_BUT_ it was an expensive rework
Define expensive? We all know you have deep pockets, if you find it expensive, how are us mere mortals going to find it?

Last edited by alexh; 20 August 2007 at 17:45.
Old 20 August 2007, 17:40   #13
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I am curious to know about the various revisions of CSPPC card as discussed on the overlclocking website

Quote:
In later versions of the CSPPC, Phase 5 had rearranged the RAM circuitry in order to allow the use of 60MHz 060s. These boards have slightly slower memory access compared to the earlier version and it is also possible to change the RAM precharge settings in the boot menu, unlike the earlier versions of the CSPPC (such as mine), where the precharge buttons were always ghosted out. Users of the newer boards can overclock their 060 further - up to 73MHz according to one report. This version of the CSPPC also does not have the problems caused by clocking the 060 separately and users of these newer boards can simply move the jumper and fit a faster oscillator without need of switches. Note that as far as I know, these two versions of the CSPPC look physically identical.
Old 20 August 2007, 17:52   #14
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

@mabus

What other cards do you have in your A3000 and A4000? Sometimes other cards can stop it working, also are you able to get into early startup from cold boot? I am guessing neither of these may be a problem if card given as not working.

@alexh

My DCE 2001 CSPPC has the precharge available in the menu settings, and I am setting it to Off with 50ns RAM but only 68060@50MHz. I think it is faster to set it to Off, hence it may be better to set it to On if you are overclocking? Anyone confirm if my thinking is right?
Old 20 August 2007, 18:15   #15
keropi

the csppc has 3 oscs:
1. ppc
2. 68k and DMA shared
3. if jumpered correctly, then the 3rd osc can be used to control the DMA speed so u have 3 different oscs for the 3 different clocks on the board

as for the price, you must ask mr. JJB , as your mileage may vary... I am a good customer
Old 22 August 2007, 01:38   #16
mabus
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgor View Post
@mabus

What other cards do you have in your A3000 and A4000? Sometimes other cards can stop it working, also are you able to get into early startup from cold boot? I am guessing neither of these may be a problem if card given as not working.
I took all the other cards out while testing, there were quite a few of them (I had used Ethernet, PicassoIV etc and an extra SCSI controller for a burner). When I get time I shall do more testing with RAM etc, different motherboard - but I cannot get into early startup - the flashing power LED and no picture prevents that.
Old 27 August 2007, 05:16   #17
mabus
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
hmmm all the pictures i have seen are populated with 2 oscilators, i would of figured this would be required to run both the PPC and the Moto at differing speeds? if you are short one Crystal... this could be a root cause of problem.
I can't imagine the crystal would be needed, if so it would be there as standard? This board hasn't been modded in any way and *has* worked just fine in the same machine (though somewhat unstable?)...

I will try in a friends machine who has a similar card, and make sure that the jumpers are all set correctly (amiga 4000 board and cs)... Will let you know what I find
Old 27 August 2007, 10:14   #18
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

All CSPPC's need two crystals, some which have been modded need 3. As long as you have two then it cannot be that.
Old 28 August 2007, 03:08   #19
mabus
Zone Friend

Got it working!

I finally got the card working!!! I took some RAM off a mobo and put it in bank 0 of the CS, these were just 4 mb SIMMs - the manual says min. 8 mb is needed, made sure the clock jumpers on mobo on the old A4000D were set to EXT and it works!!!!!!!

At least it can boot without startup-sequence so the 060 is working. I downloaded the manual it says the software needs to be installed before the card is installed, so I installed on a PC to an old server disk in UAE, and it now boots workbench 3.1!!!! There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the card, at least not as I can see! Yummy!!! I haven't tried any PPC software yet, but that should be pretty groovy!

Thanks for all yer help!
Old 28 August 2007, 07:32   #20
keropi

@mabus:

even if you are unlucky and the ppc is dead (which is a common failure in csppc cards) you can send it to JJB and he will remove the ppc, thus giving you a perfeclty working 060-MK3 board, I know many that have done that...
if the ppc is working, I suggest you CAREFULLY remove the heatsink, apply some thermal paste and install a 12v fan (removing the old crap one ofcourse)
great to hear it works!
AdSense AdSense