English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 15 September 2006, 03:09   #1
DC33
Zone Friend

Thumbs up A1200 with internal CD/DVD

G'day fellas,

Just wondering if it is possible to have an internal CD/DVD in an A1200 desktop, much in the same way Smiley has done with his A600 http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=24657 - Great job bythe way Smiley !!!

I can get my hands on the TEAC (CD-224E) for peanuts, so I am willing to try it. However I wanted to know whether it had already been tried and if so is it possible ? Would I be wasting my time ?

Also, is there a DVD alternative to the CD version od the TEAC (CD-224E) ?

I more or less want to have as much as possible inside the A1200 case, as one of the things I hate, is having all the add-ons all over the place.... scsi this, scsi that, squirrel leads blah blah !!!

Cheers.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 15 September 2006, 07:31   #2
Jope
-

Send a message via Skype™ to Jope
It's just as possible as with the A600.. You actually have more room to work with, but it's still pretty cramped.

There are even DVD+-RW drives in that laptop form factor, so yes, a DVD drive is available too, but it might not be from TEAC.

Moved to the parent section, since this is not a pic thread.
Old 15 September 2006, 07:53   #3
DC33
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope
There are even DVD+-RW drives ..... , so yes, a DVD drive is available too.

I was hoping there was. I should have been more to the point as in... does anyone know of a model/part number of which would be the best to go for ?

Moved to the parent section, since this is not a pic thread.
Thanks for that... I realised I had put the thead in the wrong spot after submission

Last edited by Paul; 15 September 2006 at 12:47. Reason: fixed quote tag
Old 15 September 2006, 13:38   #4
Smiley
Amiga-less!

They do work but you would need an IDE buffer really.

My Teac 224e still does not work with Idefix97!

It simply doesnt show up under atapi.device

Maybe its faulty.

Give it a go
Old 15 September 2006, 14:03   #5
DC33
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley
They do work but you would need an IDE buffer really.
I have all the hardware, so it should be ok. I just really want ot have an internal DVD if at all possible, but the Teac 224e is a good start. I don't see why it shouldn't work anyways, regardless of brand. At the mo, I have the 2.5" and 3.5" cable setup, whereby the 3.5 ribbon cable protrudes out of the case and conects to a generic 3.5" CDrom - and all without a IDE buffer etc. It just runs as a slve drive.

So I am sure if I were to find something which would fit internally in the A1200 case, there should be no probs. I would also imagine that it would be the same for a A600 setup. At the end of the day, the aim is to have it internally.

So ppl, if anyone has done a DVD mod, I would appreciate in knowing what the drive's PN/ model is before I start wasting good aussie dollars heheh .

Will see if it works out, and if it does I will post some pictures.

Thanks Smiley.
Old 22 September 2006, 18:16   #6
DanE

Im also thinking of installing a cd drive in my 1200, a chap on ebay keeps selling the kits to do so about £40.00 with postage from sweden , ive seen them on there 3 or 4 times item no 120034104841 is the latest one and i was going to buy it but his recent one just sold so i thought id look for the parts myself.

Ive got my eye on a slimline teak drive, its a different version though a cd316E but i hope it will still work , Do i need a buffered ide connector? you can buy them from amigakit.com for about £11.00 or could i just use a 2.5 to (1x2.5) (1x3.5) ide cable. Ive seen a slimline adapter going for £7.00 and ive already got a power splitter that i used in my 600 to power an external 3.5 harddrive will this lead be ok to power the cd drive.

If anyone else can recommend where i might get the required bits elsewhere maybe cheaper that would be very much appreciated.

Dan
Old 22 September 2006, 20:43   #7
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

well lets see...

DanE's Shoping list (version 1.0)

1. £20 DVD rom drive (inc postage)
2. £15 4x Device Bufferd IDE interface (inc delivery)
3. £5 IDE Cable (u40pin IDC for rom and a 40/44pin IDC harddisk)
4. £7.50 JAE to 40pin cd/dvd rom conector

all in all a total of £47.50 wich isn`t too bad considering these are all buy now too your door, so you might be able to knock a smidge off.. personally i would change the ROM to a DVDRW i think Make CD should still be able to burn standard cd's atleast....
Old 23 September 2006, 00:44   #8
DC33
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanE
Do i need a buffered ide connector?
Dan
Although everyone seems to think it is necessary, I tend to disagree with this point. Simply because the whole purpose of having a buffered IDE connector is to allow to conect more than 2 IDE devices into the A600/A1200 single IDE port. I have been using two devices (2.5" HD and external 3.5" CD) using the same connector shown here on ebay UK, item 170027008791.

I have never had any problems with this setup, which does not include a buffered IDE connector. Although I do have one, I prefer not to use it as I do not connect more than 2 devices.

I am yet to try my new setup with the internal CD once I get all the parts I have ordered through ebay.
Old 23 September 2006, 15:00   #9
ikorodu

Swedish CD Rom Kit

@ DanE

I got a kit from the swedish guy. Works a treat, came with CD Rom, ide buffer and cables plus idefix on floppy which requires a serial number. Apparently IDEfix is still sold, but I would think that a serial could be found by googling (not that I ever would).

ikorodu
Old 23 September 2006, 20:59   #10
DanE

[quote=Zetr0]well lets see...

DanE's Shoping list (version 1.0)

1. £20 DVD rom drive [/cd'quote]

I dont think ill bother with a dvd or a rw drive as i will never use it in the amiga, if i need to copy any files to cd ill just transfer them to my pc using my pcmcia cf adapter, the only benifit i would get will be on resale value but i dont plan on selling this baby ever.

Im also uncertain about cutting the casing its not something that i have done before, What tool would you recommend? and i might give my 1200 a paint job, Maybe black or silver what type of paint would i use?, i assume a spray paint but what type.

Many thanks for all your help

DanE
Old 24 September 2006, 01:55   #11
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

modifying plastic.

you need

Ingredients:

1 x A1200

1. Plastic Epoxy like this http://dr-mikes-maths.com/thotz/medi...el-plastic.jpg
2. Dremel (or such) with plastic cutting disks at 3.5k to 4.5k rpm (k=1000)
3. Marker (wax pencil personal fave.)
4. Strip rule (or tape measure)
5. Files (medium - small)
6. Sand paper, (Fine wet'n Dry)
7. Patience
8. Planning
9. Marking and checking atleast 4 times.
10. Spray paint (primer, overcoat, laqure matt/gloss ) all acrylic
11. *decals

Method

after deciding onthe orientation you want the ROM to open, you can use several methods upon approaching the marking and cutting...

if you are uneasy with a dremel practice on a bit of spare plastic to get a feel for it..

you can use the plastic epoxy (duel compound *tear, kneed & apply ) to fill in overcuts or deep scratches.. depeneding on the temperature and the make of epoxy set times will vairy, i normally leave it between 8 - 24 hours for better results..

now comes the time to apply the files for sharp crisp edges... at this point i would normally prompt for a base coat of spray paint, irrespective of colour i choose a neutral colour (like a medium grey similar to the cd32's lol)

for best results consider (depeneding on paint thinkness) use 2 to 3 coats (even as a base) to avoid nasty drips spray in less that 3 second bursts wiping the nozzel as you do... i found the further away you can get away with holding the paint can the better the finnish.

after allowing atleast an hour or so for each coat ( i judge it using coffees *atleast 3* ) from here i would touch up any areas with the wet and dry and if need be more epoxy... if more epoxy is needed then add another coat of primer.

NOW the cool stuff begins...

Apply thin light coats (about 3/4 coats or more of your chosen colour ) allow this to really settle as it is your finnish...

if you have gone the whole hog with colour tones and decals for the keyboard i salute you i would add the decals now before the application of laqure this is worth spraying very thinly over a few coats but no more than 2/3 depending on thickenss.

I will prolly post a lot more on modin'n metals and plastics as i have a project close to completion...
Old 26 September 2006, 12:51   #12
DanE

Cheers ZetrO, You Da Man

Once ive got all the parts ill post my step by step install/Mod with pictures.

Dan
Old 26 September 2006, 17:27   #13
kriz

Looking forward for pictures for this, i also got a desktop 1200 wich needs an internal drive

Please also show what harddrive you are going to use..
Old 27 September 2006, 03:47   #14
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

modding pictures??? ... oh i just LOVE modding pictures. please postie away

ElectroBlaster inspired a cool mod to do (and hes doing it.. cant wait for picies on that one too ) I think it would look awsome with a side loading DVD rom
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=25149&page=2
Old 09 October 2006, 15:45   #15
DanE

Right ive nearly got all the kit,

Today i recieved in the post my 4 way buffered ide adapter from amigakit, also my teac slimeline cd 224e drive off ebay which also came with the adapter.

The only thing is i think this must be a different version drive than the one stated in http://home.twcny.rr.com/wicksall/1200CDMod.html article because the adapter used on that 224e is different to the one ive got, the adapter in the article would not fit my drive (See pics)

Its a bit more of a tight squeeze now but im sure i can still fit it in.

I will post step by step piccys of my mod in a few days.

UPDATE

after a closer inspection i have unscrewed the back plate of the drive and that big black connector at the back pulls off leaving a nice little connector for use with the other adapter, only thing is ive got to buy the adapter now, well at least it wont be such a tight fit now..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0320.JPG
Views:	562
Size:	298.6 KB
ID:	12236   Click image for larger version

Name:	new_slimlinecd2ide.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	12237  

Last edited by DanE; 09 October 2006 at 16:56.
Old 10 October 2006, 02:20   #16
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Its looking good DanE,

I look forward to seeing more : )))

btw, wich orientation and position have you decided for the ROM drive?
Old 10 October 2006, 06:04   #17
DanE

I wanted it to eject from the side but the drive is too wide and would hang out of the case, so im going to have to have it coming out of the back
Old 10 October 2006, 09:48   #18
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0
1. £20 DVD rom drive (inc postage)
2. £15 4x Device Bufferd IDE interface (inc delivery)
3. £5 IDE Cable (u40pin IDC for rom and a 40/44pin IDC harddisk)
4. £7.50 JAE to 40pin cd/dvd rom conector
Great prices.. where... ??? UK please since its in UKP!
Old 10 October 2006, 21:17   #19
DanE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methanoid
Great prices.. where... ??? UK please since its in UKP!
You can get the

buffered ide interface from amigakit mine cost £12.98 with postage

IDE cable's - The IDE interface comes with a 44pin cable to attached it to the motherboard,

1 standard 40pin to 40pin ide cable to attached the cd drive to the interface - from anywhere, I picked 1 up today from a computer repair shop for £1.00

Laptop cd converter £3.00 including postage from ebay, just search for "Laptop cd adapter" loads on there all from Hong Kong.

Teac slimline cd drive - Ebay again mine cost only £10.00 including postage, there was a cheaper 1 on there but i bought mine because it already came with the converter, only thing though the converter is a big bulky 1 that sticks out to much, so ive just bought the smaller 1 on ebay today.

Mod Update...

Ive just got the rest of the parts today and hooked it all up just to try it out, Installed ide fix, banged in os3.9 cd and was very excited when i saw that cd icon pop up.

Ive just about finished cutting the case, i still need to make some slight adjustments to the cd mount and also need to find some poxy putty from somewhere just to fill in a little bit where i got carried away with the sander, Then im going to go the full hog and spray paint her, im still undecided on the colour yet probably black.

DanE
Old 11 October 2006, 03:07   #20
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

*hehe* awsome

okies places to get some putty,

the evil empire known as ebay is always a good bet, if you have a Wilkinsons store they stock it too

btw, its soooooooooo easy to get carried away with the sanding lol
AdSense AdSense