English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 17 April 2004, 13:39   #1
Nexjen
Abre Los Ojos

Send a message via AIM to Nexjen Send a message via MSN to Nexjen
Shadowlands - How to create a Save Disk?

I just recently got an original copy of the above game but it doesnt come with an actual save disk , it asks for an UNFORMATTED blank disk. Now excuse the ignorance on the old floppy disks but is there a certain disk I must use or will a normal unformatted disk do for saving.

CHEERS LADS.

Last edited by Nexjen; 17 April 2004 at 13:45.
Old 17 April 2004, 19:05   #2
Nexjen
Abre Los Ojos

*BUMP*~!
Old 17 April 2004, 19:25   #3
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Any floppy disk that works in your Amiga normally....
Old 17 April 2004, 19:26   #4
Nexjen
Abre Los Ojos

Its just I dont have any totally blank disks so I'll have to buy ones. Thats why im asking if it'd work with normal 3.11's.

EDIT: Will it work with BRAND NEW Floppy disks , bearing in mind I have no blank 3.11's. Stupid question YES but I know that Amiga disk are formatted differently.

Last edited by Nexjen; 18 April 2004 at 15:31.
Old 17 April 2004, 22:32   #5
Nexjen
Abre Los Ojos

/me bumps up thread
Old 17 April 2004, 22:54   #6
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Quote:
Originally posted by Nexjen
/me bumps up thread
Why are you bumping a 2 hour old thread? Moreso, why are you bumping a thread that has an answer....
Old 18 April 2004, 15:28   #7
Nexjen
Abre Los Ojos

I asked another question , thus why. So fancy answering my questions and I wont need to bump up the threads?

Cheers.
Old 18 April 2004, 15:35   #8
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Quote:
Originally posted by Nexjen
I asked another question , thus why. So fancy answering my questions and I wont need to bump up the threads?

Cheers.
Actually you didn't. You only just added the question about 10 minutes ago. That still also isn't warrent for bumping the thread. Bumping is for days, weeks or month old threads.

Anyway, yes, they will work, but it is better to use double density disks in Amigas rather than High Density, so look out for ones marked as 720k disks rather than 1.44MB ones.

EDIT: Typo

Last edited by Enverex; 18 April 2004 at 15:58.
Old 18 April 2004, 15:57   #9
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

All it wants is a 720k disk it really doesn't care what's on it or what state it's in. Just use an old coverdisk demo or something and use that. It only really says UNFORMATTED to explain that it doesn't need you to format it first.
Old 18 April 2004, 16:13   #10
Nexjen
Abre Los Ojos

Quote:
Originally posted by Enverex
Actually you didn't. You only just added the question about 10 minutes ago. That still also isn't warrent for bumping the thread. Bumping is for days, weeks or month old threads.

Anyway, yes, they will work, but it is better to use double density disks in Amigas rather than High Density, so look out for ones marked as 720k disks rather than 1.44MB ones.

EDIT: Typo
NO. I asked.

"Its just I dont have any totally blank disks so I'll have to buy ones. Thats why im asking if it'd work with normal 3.11's."

You answered = zilch.

So I edited my post so that more people could understand what I was trying to ask , just incase what I had tried to ask wasnt clear enough.

So please excuse me for bumping up my thread because I wanted more people to see this , Im sure it would be different if this forum was a REALLY high traffic one but all I wanted was my question asked so in my opinion that warrents a "/me bumps up thread" and maybe if I had not had done that maybe my question wouldnt have been fully answered.

Quote:
Originally posted by killergorilla
All it wants is a 720k disk it really doesn't care what's on it or what state it's in. Just use an old coverdisk demo or something and use that. It only really says UNFORMATTED to explain that it doesn't need you to format it first.
Thank you. I just tried it and it worked , I did have a disk before that I tried and it didnt work it just kept asking for another one.
Old 18 April 2004, 17:40   #11
teh
aka Superfrog

Any disk at all will work as long as you dont need it. If you use 1.44 mb disks cover the whole on the left on the front of the disk.

The game may also format the disk like cannon fodder does
Old 18 April 2004, 17:50   #12
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Covering the hole is a myth spread by people who don't think about it. You don't need to cover the hole, that is for PCs only. Amigas aren't even aware there is a hole there, nevermind checking to see if it is open or closed.
Old 18 April 2004, 19:30   #13
teh
aka Superfrog

Unless its a high density drive
Old 19 April 2004, 11:14   #14
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Not so...

Quote:
Originally posted by Enverex
Covering the hole is a myth spread by people who don't think about it. You don't need to cover the hole, that is for PCs only. Amigas aren't even aware there is a hole there, nevermind checking to see if it is open or closed.
Some of the Amiga Technologies drives have the check control for the second hole which can cause problems.

Safe practice is always to blank it off.
Old 19 April 2004, 13:07   #15
fiath

Also interesting because I have a game (I think it was one of the Valhalla games) that came on HD disks even though they were used as DD ones!

Ah, yes, here we go: HOL Database (id=1553)

I guess they were having trouble sourcing DD disks at that point - or HD were cheaper perhaps...
Old 19 April 2004, 22:42   #16
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Re: Not so...

Quote:
Originally posted by Galahad/FLT
Some of the Amiga Technologies drives have the check control for the second hole which can cause problems.

Safe practice is always to blank it off.
*I* had these problems too!

And this had nothing to do with Amiga Technologies in my case; after my CHINON A500 floppy drive had bitten the dust, I had to replace it by a Panasonic internal drive!

Same "problems". My 1.44 MB HD disks *did* require to get the hole on the upper left [<-front view] covered, otherwise I would get a *trrk - trrk - trrk*...DF0: BAD on my workbench.
Without this sticker, I was NOT able to get these disks formatted ("disk write protected") until I covered that second rectangular hole eventually.
Old 25 July 2004, 01:43   #17
Unregistered

I remember playing Shadowlands on the A500+. I remember it was a problem because it needed the disk formatting beforehand using Workbench. If thee is any data on your disk the game will not save.

Old 25 July 2004, 02:20   #18
oldpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas
*I* had these problems too!

And this had nothing to do with Amiga Technologies in my case; after my CHINON A500 floppy drive had bitten the dust, I had to replace it by a Panasonic internal drive!

Same "problems". My 1.44 MB HD disks *did* require to get the hole on the upper left [<-front view] covered, otherwise I would get a *trrk - trrk - trrk*...DF0: BAD on my workbench.
Without this sticker, I was NOT able to get these disks formatted ("disk write protected") until I covered that second rectangular hole eventually.
Yes! This happened to me when I had the DF0: of my 500+ replaced. Teleteknik, the "registered" commodore service here (although C= might have been dead then) placed an improperly modified pc drive inside the machine; as a result several games didn't run even if the hole was covered. A good way to test this is to try Jim Power. You can't reach the title screen if your drive isn't sending the "ready" signal! That was the beginning of the end of my 500+ and my "classic" amiga days.

Old 04 July 2010, 20:23   #19
s2325
Zone Friend

Shadowlands have also Atari ST version (info missing in HOL):

I found it there:http://www.thegamearchives.com/?val=..._69085_0_0_0_0 I can not start the game, I think it's bad dump like on planetemu: http://planetemu.net/?section=recher...&rubrique=roms
Old 04 July 2010, 20:42   #20
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Hmm, seems like the version existed then. 'Real' info is still a bit sparse, so any review, boxshot or something like that of the ST version would be appreciated