English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 21 June 2016, 00:55   #1
Cobe

The cheapest way to get your Amiga on modern monitor

First of all I'm huge CRT fan and that's why I never invested in expensive scandoublers/flickerfixers/indivisions... The idea to connect Amiga to modern monitor with crystal clear picture only makes sens to me if you have 060 and use wb and programs in high resolutions. However, as majority of us have few Amigas, I can't always connect all of them to CRT. As my A1200 usually sits in front of a modern monitor, I was thinking that it would be nice if I could use that monitor just like a test screen at least. So as I saw on Ali this AV2HDMI thingy for 7e I decided to try it. And its really worth these 7e. Ok, for 7e I didn't have higher hope than is it gonna work. And it works! Picture isn't good, its blurred in a bad way but both PAL and NTSC work and interlaced is flicker free. I'm more than satisfied with what I got for that money.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2015-...320655914.html

Sorry for the bad photos, my camera is broken, but picture is bad either way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	48921   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	538
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	48922   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	559
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	48923  
Old 21 June 2016, 14:16   #2
Jope
-

I prefer to have a crystal clear picture even from my A500, so a composite to vga adapter won't cut it.

How about the frame rate, does that force 60Hz output? That will result in jerky scrollers.
Old 21 June 2016, 14:35   #3
Amiga1992

I rather not get a picture than have to deal with a bad one, 7 euros are better spent on food Composite outputs are banished from my house, the lowest I'd accept is SVideo.
If you spend a little more you can get an RGB to HDMI adapter.
Old 21 June 2016, 14:53   #4
Cobe

This is definitely not something that I would recommend to anyone for everyday use nor for weekends joyrides. It's not for any joy nor longer use. It's just good as informative test screen when needed.

Here's few more pictures with little better quality.

@Jope
Yup, scroll is jerky.
Old 07 July 2016, 15:31   #5
Hewitson

That picture looks terrible. I don't understand the point of this device, any LCD or plasma I've ever used with an Amiga has flickerfixed the picture anyway.
Old 07 July 2016, 21:53   #6
Cobe

Then its not for you. Probably not for majority of people. Flickerfixed picture is irrelevant.

For instance if you have other Amiga(Amigas, C64, consoles...) hooked up to a CRT. And as I said for me CRT is for retro, modern monitor is for new age, hi res next generation stuff. Then, I think majority would agree that Amiga or C64 or any other computer with a keyboard must be placed right in front of a screen. So if one Amiga that you are using is on the desk in front of CRT and the other one is on the other desk and there's modern monitor and I want occasionally just too install few things before moving it in front of CRT to enjoy for a longer time this thingy will do a job.

Or take for instance current Vampire(or maybe some other RTG) situation. If you want to see Guru Meditations or Early boot menu this thing will do the job again.
Old 07 July 2016, 23:42   #7
cmsj

There are also a load of SCART->HDMI adapters on sites like Amazon/eBay/AliExpress, which are very cheap (I just paid £12 for one). It does mean you also need an RGB->SCART cable, but they are also about £10 from AmigaKit. That gets you better picture quality than starting with composite
Old 17 July 2016, 01:47   #8
obitus1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmsj View Post
There are also a load of SCART->HDMI adapters on sites like Amazon/eBay/AliExpress, which are very cheap (I just paid £12 for one). It does mean you also need an RGB->SCART cable, but they are also about £10 from AmigaKit. That gets you better picture quality than starting with composite
This is what I use for my A500 and A1200. I bought an RGB-->SCART with a genuine 23 pin connector (not the sawed 25 pin one some ebay sellers are hawking), and, I plug it into an SCART-->HDMI converter I bought on Ebay or Amazon and the picture is great.

I use these:

http://amigastore.eu/en/209-scart-ca...connector.html

https://www.amazon.com/Scart-Video-C...rds=scart+hdmi
Old 17 July 2016, 02:25   #9
amigoun

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk_m View Post
SCART-->HDMI converter I bought on Ebay or Amazon and the picture is great.
Can you check if the converter can output 50 Hz on HDMI?
Old 17 July 2016, 04:04   #10
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk_m View Post
This is what I use for my A500 and A1200. I bought an RGB-->SCART with a genuine 23 pin connector (not the sawed 25 pin one some ebay sellers are hawking), and, I plug it into an SCART-->HDMI converter I bought on Ebay or Amazon and the picture is great.

I use these:

http://amigastore.eu/en/209-scart-ca...connector.html

https://www.amazon.com/Scart-Video-C...rds=scart+hdmi
When you say great- what do you classify as great. Clear image? Flicker free? Is it blurry at all? I have a scart connected to my flatscreen atm- it does not look great.
Old 17 July 2016, 04:46   #11
obitus1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Browne View Post
When you say great- what do you classify as great. Clear image? Flicker free? Is it blurry at all? I have a scart connected to my flatscreen atm- it does not look great.
Clear and flicker free. Fonts look sharp. I am not running the 1200 at super high resolution or anything since it slows it down too much. It is heads and shoulders above what I used before, which was a composite video to hdmi up scaler. Image quality from it was shite. When I get the Amiga back from being recapped, I'll take some photos.
Old 17 July 2016, 04:49   #12
obitus1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigoun View Post
Can you check if the converter can output 50 Hz on HDMI?

I will check. My a1200 is a PAL version, which the upscaler works with flawlessly. My flat screen television is NTSC, so it converts the signal to work with it properly.

Edited to add:
If you scroll down and read the item description on Amazon, it says yes, auto detects input from rgb as 50 or 60 and you can select 50 or 60 Hz output to hdmi.
Old 20 July 2016, 12:08   #13
spannernick
Retro Nuts

Option 1 VGA..

Here is a video of my Amiga 1200 running on GBS 8200 VGA Converter,its a old video..

[ Show youtube player ]

Video of the board in a A500 case.. [ Show youtube player ]

It cost me about £15(but it probably more now),I am not using it at the moment but sometime will again,just need a new psu for it,it takes 5V to 12V but its a good idea to just use 5V,it gets hotter the more voltage you use.DO NOT use the 5V from the video connector of your Amiga,use its own power supply.

Option 2 Composite..

I have my Amiga in my A1200 case now,the A500+ case was too big on the desktop.I use Composite now with a EasyCap DC60 to see it on my monitor using my PC.So I can video my Amiga when I am playing it. Here is 2 videos of me steaming the Amiga to YouTube.. [ Show youtube player ] https://youtu.be/K7XoQtA2gzE

Last edited by spannernick; 20 July 2016 at 12:46.