English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 19 August 2017, 04:05   #281
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaffer View Post
It might be, since MSX DSKs are basically IMGs, that the image has been misconverted as a single-sided 80 track disk. Because an 80-track single-sided IMG would be the same size as a 40-track double-sided IMG!

Perhaps check that in the HxC software's track analyzer.

If it has been misconverted it can probably be done via "Load Raw Image" in the HxC software and pick some correct values in the multitude of boxes in there!
Just tried to convert them as RAW FILES STANDARD DOS 3,5 DD Floppies.

Everything I tried worked. Aleste 2 works, Pacmania worked, multi-games disks worked, cracked version of Space Manbow worked, Predator worked..... everything worked smoothly.

Shame after the conversion the file is 2 mbs big for even a 360 kb disk... but everything is working

But man.. thank you. THANK YOU for this firmware. I know this is not an MSX forum and probably no one here cares, but I am really happy with this

Last edited by Shatterhand; 19 August 2017 at 05:08.
Old 19 August 2017, 10:46   #282
Keir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand View Post
Just tried to convert them as RAW FILES STANDARD DOS 3,5 DD Floppies.

Everything I tried worked. Aleste 2 works, Pacmania worked, multi-games disks worked, cracked version of Space Manbow worked, Predator worked..... everything worked smoothly.

Shame after the conversion the file is 2 mbs big for even a 360 kb disk... but everything is working

But man.. thank you. THANK YOU for this firmware. I know this is not an MSX forum and probably no one here cares, but I am really happy with this
I will soon support IMG/DSK/ST images (ie. raw IBM MFM sector images). When this happens, and bearing in mind that auto-detecting layout from the IMG file size is ambiguous, please let me know if your DSK/IMG files do not work. It will be little trouble to add config option(s) that allow you to express default or per-image layout preferences to disambiguate the floppy layout.

Since this is not Amiga related you can contact me by email (see my github profile) or via the github issues tracker.
Old 19 August 2017, 13:58   #283
Higgy

Ok some SWOS tests on my A500 with 512K expansion & FFloppy 0.5.0.a & I2C 1602 LCD.

Edit - sorry I forgot the main reason for the post. I am testing on a 15Hz BenQ monitor and I don't have any banding. Graphics are fine.

For additional information:

The SWOS version on Akira's Compilation does not work. It just stays on a blue screen.
I then tried 3 other versions from the EAB FTP:

ftp://grandis.nu/Commodore_Amiga/Gam...a%202/Games/S/

'96-'97 - gives me 'type failed returncode 20' at the beginning.
'95-'96 - gives me blue screen (maybe same 'version' as Akira's?)
'95-96' Euro Champ Edition - works!

Last edited by Higgy; 19 August 2017 at 14:27. Reason: Added display screen info, which was main reason for post.
Old 19 August 2017, 14:14   #284
Keir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy View Post
Ok some SWOS tests on my A500 with 512K expansion & FFloppy 0.5.0.a & I2C 1602 LCD.

The SWOS version on Akira's Compilation does not work. It just stays on a blue screen.
I then tried 3 other versions from the EAB FTP:

ftp://grandis.nu/Commodore_Amiga/Gam...a%202/Games/S/

'96-'97 - gives me 'type failed returncode 20' at the beginning.
'95-'96 - gives me blue screen (maybe same 'version' as Akira's?)
'95-96' Euro Champ Edition - works!
I believe the 96-97 error is a bug in the startup-sequence. Not FF related, another EAB thread suggests typing 'ssboot swos' and should work.

For me to take action I need a bug report where the disk image has been shown working (eg UAE set up to replicate your Amiga's configuration). And I need to be given the specific ADFs (the FTP link in this case would be fine, if the ADFs are unambiguously identified, and if I could remember how to log in!). As we all know there are a lot of broken ADFs out there...

Last edited by Keir; 19 August 2017 at 14:20.
Old 19 August 2017, 15:49   #285
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Planetemu is a good temptation for a "quick download" but after going through whole TOSEC sets myself and having to deal with lots of non-working shit, and after someone at EAB recomended me to check Gamebase, I get ADFs from nowhere else but Gamebase for the most part because they are 100% tested working.
"after someone at EAB recomended me to check Gamebase"...

liveevil
http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...4&postcount=18
http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...0&postcount=20

DamienD
http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...7&postcount=32

Old 19 August 2017, 16:07   #286
Sinphaltimus

At some point - It'd be nice to have a dedicated topic with the first entry being all the in/outs of flashing and using.

I waited on this firmware to mature a little since the day it was announced and have completely lost my way.

I have a lot of questions.

My Setup=

2 button beige GoTek drive with Cortex firmware.
Amiga A500 rev5.

current use - I just load up adf files and it works mostly. I also use HxCedit to assign slots and manage adfs on my PC.

future - I plan to do the LCD mod, possibly even add the buzzer since it's just a jump now.

I'd love to see (in a single posted topic) variations documented.

If Upgrading from Cortex FW with USB to USB here is your step by step.. from start to completion and usability.

If Upgrading from HxC FW with USB to USB here is your step by step.. from start to completion and usability.

If Upgrading from Cortex FW with USB to TTL here is your step by step.. from start to completion and usability.

If Upgrading from HxC FW with USB to TTL here is your step by step.. from start to completion and usability.

For prior Cortex users - here is how to setup and use the USB drive and PC utils to help manage.

For prior HxC users - here is how to setup and use the USB drive and PC utils to help manage.

File formats supports (ADF, WFE, IPF, etc...) and funtcions (Read, Write, Copy Format)

With pictures and all - if only an attached PDF that can be updated as the firmware grows.

I haven't used any format, write or copy functions on adf files with cortex after the first few corruptions.

I've been to the github page and read through a bunch of documents - just seems information is scattered and a consolidation of it my be beneficial to the community and the wider usage of this Flashfloppy firmware.
Old 19 August 2017, 17:22   #287
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
If Upgrading from Cortex FW with USB to USB here is your step by step.. from start to completion and usability.

If Upgrading from HxC FW with USB to USB here is your step by step.. from start to completion and usability.
I'd believe it's the same thing on both options, and you just need to follow the instruction in the video posted at the 11th post of this thread, 1st page. The video is very direct to the point and simple to follow, it's very easy to do, the only thing I would add is that when the Gotek is properly setup to be flashed, it will appear on Windows but it won't show any leds or LCD on.

But yeah, I'd believe it would be a good thing to organize the information about it, I guess some users here could help with this (I'd be willing to help and even translate instructions to at least portuguese)
Old 19 August 2017, 20:08   #288
Keir

I would like to release v1.0.0, based on the current v0.5.0a plus bug fixes only, and with better documentation.

Exactly how best to arrange documentation is a good question. I currently incorporate docs into the source repository, which is fine for me and also means the docs are versioned alongside the source code. However it may not be that inviting for contributions. Another possibility is to move documentation over to a wiki (eg Github wiki). Overall I see the need for:
- Docs (possibly multiple versions, eg. at least stable branch and development branch)
- Releases page (could be on a wiki)
- Announcements/news (blog style)

I am happy to set some of this up or give blessing to someone else to centralise it elsewhere.
Old 20 August 2017, 02:39   #289
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand View Post
I'd believe it's the same thing on both options, and you just need to follow the instruction in the video posted at the 11th post of this thread, 1st page.
Didn't Jeff add support for installing FlashFloppy through a .upd file on a USB stick if you already have HxC?
Old 20 August 2017, 03:33   #290
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaffer View Post
I believe the 96-97 error is a bug in the startup-sequence. Not FF related, another EAB thread suggests typing 'ssboot swos' and should work.
Guys all the ones I tested showed this issue, had nothing to do with the disk images.
As I said, connect a gotek to the Amiga and launch sensible world of soccer WHDLoad version from HD. The screen flickering will occur. I also am not sure if it is even a FlashFloppy issue, might be a gotek general issue. But it is weird.
Old 21 August 2017, 06:09   #291
b.bobo

Offtopic
SWOS 96-97 works in Stock A500 (1MB) with Kickstart 3.1...

Back to topic: great Firmware, no problem @all ! THX

Old 21 August 2017, 09:32   #292
Keir

Thanks all. I have a few more fixes and changes to do before v1.0.0:

- I have OLED stability fixes to commit to master which have been checked over by Kingstener.

- I have a write stability issue to fix (affects single-sector writes to HFE images, also reported by Kingstener). Note that ADF writes, and HFE whole-track writes, are already pretty darn stable and that is the 99.99% way Amiga does disk writes.

- I am considering moving *all* config files, old and new, under a subfolder, perhaps FF/ or CONFIG/. Keeps the root folder clean, and more efficient to find config files if the root folder is bloated. Of course this will require moving AUTOBOOT.HFE and HXCSDFE.CFG (if in use) on USB sticks when upgrading.

And I have a whole host of cool stuff to do in development series once I have a stable release series for end users. Keep the reports coming!
Old 21 August 2017, 09:49   #293
BarryB
Amigaholic

Is this feature needed/doable: The ability to tag a bunch of images and have FF auto-insert them in slots 1 and above? Would make knowing that disk 1 is in slot 1 and disk 2 in slot 2 etc, as long as the disks are tagged in numerical order!
Old 22 August 2017, 23:45   #294
Mq

Hi, it's awesome firmware, I'm testing it on my Amiga 500, and looks great for me.
I have one question, maybe dumb... Is it possible to eject floppy disc in Gotek? I mean situation in which I have no floppy disc in FDD. Can I emulate this situation? For example: I would like to start system on Amiga from HDD without floppy disc, and now to do that I must find and chose some not bootable disk everytime. Or another example: I would like to eject floppy disc to disapear floppy from workbench screen. Is it possible?
Old 23 August 2017, 06:03   #295
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mq666 View Post
Is it possible to eject floppy disc in Gotek?
Not sure if it works the same with FF, but with HxC you can eject the disk by pressing both buttons simultaneously for a few secs.
Old 23 August 2017, 16:53   #296
FutureComet

this is really an awesome firmware, thanks for this.

I am using it in Slot mode, but it is no fun to populate
the slots with the selector software (AUTOBOOT.HFE)
So i made a small GUI Tool for the Windows version of
the file selector.

Readme:
Quote:
FF-HxC Editor
-------------

FF-HxC Editor is a Windows GUI for "HxC Floppy Emulator : HxC Floppy Emulator File selector"
that can be used with the great FlashFloppy floppy emulator (https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy)
for the ubiquitous Gotek hardware. (in Slot mode)
FF-HxC Editor needs "HXCFEMNG.exe" to run.
Get it here:
http://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_d...or_Manager.zip
Unzip archive and put "FF-HxC_Editor.exe" into the "Windows" folder where "HXCFEMNG.exe" is located.

Usage notes:
-Run FF-HxC Editor
-Select the drive with your USB stick in the "Select Drive" box on the right side
("HXCSDFE.CFG" must be present in the root dir of your USB stick)
-Press "<- Get List" the get the current slot list from the config file of your stick
-Use the arrow buttons to change the order of the selected entry in your list
-Use the "X" button to remove an entry from the list
-Press "Sort by name" to sort all entries by name
-Use the edit field below the list to rename an entry (and file)
-"Copy List" copies the list as text to the clipboard
-To add an .ADF use the file browser on the right side
Doubleclick a file to insert it into the slot list
or press "Add Path" to insert all .ADF from the current folder into the list
-Additionally you can edit some Drive settings, like Track step sound on/off
-When you are done press "Set List ->" to write the new config to the stick.
-Have fun...
download here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0pe6babv5o..._0100.zip?dl=1

Maybe someone will find this useful...
please let me know any comments

Old 23 August 2017, 17:01   #297
Amiga1992

Awesome stuff FutureComet! I will give this a try ASAP.
Old 23 August 2017, 19:13   #298
Keir

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
Not sure if it works the same with FF, but with HxC you can eject the disk by pressing both buttons simultaneously for a few secs.
No eject functionality at the moment (except by removing the USB stick of course). I am going to add support for third button on JA which will have this functionality. Holding both buttons for a couple of seconds to achieve the same is not a bad idea, I might implement that too (but it will also skip you to slot 0 as that is the current behaviour of both buttons being pressed).

I will also implement eject-on-poweron as a config option in future. When I have implemented my own config file.
Old 23 August 2017, 19:33   #299
Higgy

Nice work FutureComet. I had to rename the file .bin to .zip
I like the option for sound also

Kaffer - I was thinking about the 3rd button. I think a well organised USB stick will be very useful for no config mode. Especially for Amstrad CPC and other platforms without selector software.

Can you have 'double press/click' on the 3rd button? Selecting a file by staying on the file for a second feels ok, or a single press. But I think exiting a directory is more of an issue. Say for example a games directory 'S' (always lots of games with S) to exit the directory you have to scroll all the way back/forward to .. for 'up a directory'. Having a dedicated button I think will improve the User Experience.
Old 23 August 2017, 19:37   #300
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

This seems to be pretty good. Took a quick look at it now, it certainly is a lot more easy and practical to use than the Windows "autoexec" program. Thank you a lot for that!