English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 16 May 2020, 14:03   #1
bruktmoped

Group buy of DB23 connectors?

So, I never tried this before, but I will try.
Background: The DB23 connectors is getting harder and harder to source. So I have spent a lot of time trying to find a factory that can make a fresh batch. Unfortunately, it turns out that noone wants to make smaller batches for "normal" people. One is offering to make them, but they need an order of like $35.000 which is insane for one person.

So maybe someone else also want some connectors? You dont have to commit to that many if you dont want, but it would be cheaper the more I can get. I plan to order more than I need to put on the market to lower the price pr. unit. Right now, Im looking at about $7 pr connector plus shipping from me to you for small quantities. Thank you for your time! Thoughts are welcomed. Regards.
Old 16 May 2020, 15:21   #2
PurpleMelbourne
Banned

I wonder if its the kind of thing that is worth getting all the bits made up to construct a DB23.

So that'd be the metal shroud being the toughest part. Then 23 standard pins just like a DB25, a plastic (or whatever that material is) bit with 23 holes in it... and so forth.

Normally it would be ridiculous to do such a thing. But if they still cost $7 each when bought in quantity of 5,000 then there might be ways of saving a lot off the price.
Old 16 May 2020, 15:33   #3
nogginthenog
Amigan

I saw this tweet a few days ago. I thought you might have been the same person but it seems not!

https://twitter.com/HeyBirt/status/1259846612974800902

Quote:
Amiga friends! If you were able to buy NEW Female DB23 Amiga video connectors would you also want a matching plastic shell? I'm negotiating pricing to get a large batch of NEW DB-23F made, I estimate maybe 50% of folks will want shells? Share to your Amiga friends, let me know.
Old 16 May 2020, 18:43   #4
bruktmoped

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleMelbourne View Post
I wonder if its the kind of thing that is worth getting all the bits made up to construct a DB23.<br />
<br />
So that'd be the metal shroud being the toughest part. Then 23 standard pins just like a DB25, a plastic (or whatever that material is) bit with 23 holes in it... and so forth.<br />
<br />
Normally it would be ridiculous to do such a thing. But if they still cost $7 each when bought in quantity of 5,000 then there might be ways of saving a lot off the price.
<br />
<br />
A big chunk of the $7 each is startup production cost and shipping from China. So more units means a spread of the startup cost to more connectors which will reduce the price. I will not use the 2 month sea freight option unless I must buy them all myself. If someone preorders with me, I will use DHL so noone must wait several months after payment. Anyone that buys up front will get the benefit of the best price. For connectors I must pay for myself, I will charge extra if sold later. Please let me know if anyone have any interest. Right now, Im not asking for a commitment, only a survey. Taking into account that DB23 sells for $16.99 plus shipping, I will call it a good price even at $7, but my goal is to get them for around $5, but that will require lots and lots of units.
Old 16 May 2020, 18:49   #5
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I'd take 5 units. But it's a drop in the ocean
Old 16 May 2020, 19:03   #6
bruktmoped

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
I'd take 5 units. But it's a drop in the ocean
I am not setting a minimum so everyone is welcome with small orders! Im just glad for any support big or small.
Old 18 May 2020, 04:13   #7
jasonsbeer

I'd be in for maybe 5, at most. Are you looking to make both male and female? I figure the DB23F part is more in demand due to video adapters. DB23M connectors would also be of benefit. I would really like to see a project for building an external GoTek with off-the-shelf parts. So sad to see old disk drives stripped for the housing and cable.

Note 1: I recently ordered DB23F to HD15F video adapter cables. The DB23F is 3D printed and seems to work well.

Note 2: Read this for inspiration! https://www.bigmessowires.com/2016/0...ete-connector/
Old 18 May 2020, 06:29   #8
PurpleMelbourne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruktmoped View Post
Taking into account that DB23 sells for $16.99 plus shipping, I will call it a good price even at $7, but my goal is to get them for around $5, but that will require lots and lots of units.
In a few months I'd put down for $500 of them.
I'd hope that for double the price we can get ten times as many produced

So if you can get 80 people to put down $500 then we can end the RGB23 famine.
Old 18 May 2020, 07:29   #9
dalek

So male or female, solder cups or pcb mount? There's 4 possible types needed to cater for everything....
Old 18 May 2020, 19:30   #10
duga

Female, for sure. Solder cups or PCB mount? That's a tougher question.

How many connectors would that $35.000 figure result in; 10000?
Old 23 May 2020, 03:24   #11
csanii

Possible source...

Saw your post and wondered did anyone contact:
https://www.pimfg.com/product/Solder-Cup-Connectors
Old 23 May 2020, 08:01   #12
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

You can get male connectors and shrouds/hoods just not female connectors
Old 23 May 2020, 22:08   #13
jasonsbeer

Quote:
You can get male connectors and shrouds/hoods just not female connectors
Please share.
Old 23 May 2020, 22:43   #14
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Use Google they are everywhere. It's only the female connectors which seem to be rare.

UK they are about £4 each

https://coolnovelties.co.uk/coolnove...connectors?p=2

Last edited by alexh; 23 May 2020 at 22:52.
Old 24 May 2020, 11:43   #15
duga

Quote:
It's only the female connectors which seem to be rare.
With emphasis on "only".
Old 24 May 2020, 18:09   #16
Jeff_Birt

I was quoted above from a Twitter post so I'll chime in. A business partner and I have been working on this for months and have quotes from multiple sources. We were nearly derailed when a unscrupulous manufacturer was caught shopping around the engineering drawings I had done trying to get multiple people to pay for the same tooling.

If you see a DB23 mechanical drawings floating around I drew them. My name was erased from them without my permission. You do not have permission to use these drawings to get connectors made.

The tooling costs for the connector and plastic hood are well into the 5 figure range. Some manufactures will quote you a cheaper price because they are trying to reuse some of the DB25 tooling, namely the back metal shell. Some even try to use the DB25 front metal shell. Some even tried to get by with the DB25 plastic shell. These options are cheaper but they will not work. Making sure they understand exactly what needs done is a chore.

To make a proper DB23 you need two metal dies and two plastic molds. For the plastic hood is only one plastic mold.

We are set to put the process in motion this week and will have connectors and hoods in about 30 days. We have put a lot of time and effort into this project, not to mention there is a lot of our money at stake to pay for the tooling. There is not enough of a market to have multiple parties make multiple dies and molds.

What I'm asking is please let us finish this process and get the connectors made. We will be offering them at reasonable prices in both small quantities and large quantities.
Old 29 June 2020, 22:35   #17
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

If this is true you should publicise it everywhere before another source beats you to it or competes with you simply because they didn't know you existed.

Looking forward to buying some
Old 30 June 2020, 00:06   #18
Jeff_Birt

Quote:
If this is true you should publicise it everywhere before another source beats you to it or competes with you simply because they didn't know you existed.

Looking forward to buying some
Yes, it is true. I have been talking about it on all the forums I am a member of, Facebook, Twitter, etc.

We are reviewing samples from a few manufacturers at present and will soon have the production of the tooling started. It is taking longer as we want to make sure we are getting a quality connector produced for the community.