English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 02 December 2017, 13:54   #1
ccorkin
70's Child Retro'ing!

DOM backup/connecting on a PC advice

Afternoon fellow Amigians,

I recently purchased a 16Gb pre-setup DOM (Disk-on-Module) in replacement to my current CF/SD card setup for my A1200:

Ebay - 16gb DOM

This works a treat, runs quick and flawlessly. My head-scratching issue is I want to create a backup of the entire DOM device via a Raw 1:1 copy using my PC (currently using HDD Raw Copy), which I have used/done in the past with my SD/CF card - Purley for piece of mind, should I tinker beyond the point of no return..!:

So the DOM 16gb card is a 44pin IDE connector...I've looked around trying to see if I can get something like a 44pin Female to Female adapter. Followed by one of these SATA/IDE>USB backup devices floating around from China (if this actually would work).

My question is, has anyone managed to get a system setup in order to do this themselves or can anyone point me in the direction of hardware to do what I purpose?

All always, many thanks for any assistance in advance!!

Cheers Chris.
Old 02 January 2018, 00:32   #2
Swe_Kryten2x4b

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccorkin View Post

So the DOM 16gb card is a 44pin IDE connector...I've looked around trying to see if I can get something like a 44pin Female to Female adapter. Followed by one of these SATA/IDE>USB backup devices floating around from China (if this actually would work).

My question is, has anyone managed to get a system setup in order to do this themselves or can anyone point me in the direction of hardware to do what I purpose?
That should work. It looks like the adapter I used when I originally set up my dom-disk from scratch from within UAE.

Now, unless your dom-disk is different than mine (or the adapter is somewhat different) what you need to get is a small adapter with male-plugs on both ends. Like this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/kenable-PAT.../dp/B003PU1EVG

But with 44-pins. They are not expensive if you manage to find one. For my disk, I had to bend one pin so it wouldn't be in the way since the pata-interface on the adapter had one of the "holes" covered but other than that it worked great.

That being said, I find it more convenient to do it all from the A1200.

That is, get yourself a 2.5" cable that allows you to attach two devices. Configure the DOM-drive to be master (if possible), and get a compact-flash adapter (and compact flash disk) that can be used as slave. I use one from amikit that gives me a compactflash opening in the rear trapdoor (you still need the adaptor above though). Alternatively, a PCMCIA compactflash-reader. When that is in place, use dd or say Diavolo backup to make regular backups from the DOM-disk to the cf-card. Works great, and as a sidebonus: if you have a cf-reader on the windows-computer it makes it far more convenient to transfer files back and forth.

Hope this helps!
Old 02 January 2018, 11:35   #3
idrougge

Even more convenient is to do backups to a CF card in the PCMCIA slot. No need to open up the computer.
Old 02 January 2018, 19:58   #4
ccorkin
70's Child Retro'ing!

Thanks for the the kind and generous advice...I will certainly take this on board and get some bits ordered!

Best wishes for 2018!
Old 02 January 2018, 23:27   #5
Swe_Kryten2x4b

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
Even more convenient is to do backups to a CF card in the PCMCIA slot. No need to open up the computer.
Well, yeah. That's what I meant when I said alternatively, use a a PCMCIA compact flash reader. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough.

That being said, in my experience the "Add a flashcard reader as a slave" works better. I have a PCMCIA cardreader as well and my A1200 refuses to even acknowledge there is a card in it. Well, prepcard sees it properly but if I try to mount it using the cfd / fat95 combo I always get "No disk present". The same compact flash card works perfectly fine if I use it as a slave on the internal IDE-interface. Granted, it is considered a fixed disk so I need to power down if I want to swap card. I don't swap card all that often so it's not a dealbreaker.

Either my PCMCIA-cardreader is a bit dodgy (delock brand) or my 1200 is more picky about things connected to the PCMCIA port than the internal IDE-interface. YMMV.