English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 02 April 2011, 01:32   #1
Akiko

Installing ClassicWB on a CF card

I've just got myself a new ACA 1230/28 accelerator board, having real difficulties setting up classic wb onto my Kingston CF card, anyone know were I can get get a preconfigured classic wb without the extortionate eBay price tag? Cheers
Old 02 April 2011, 01:37   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Maybe you want to have a look here : http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=746623#post746623

@Bloodwych
Maybe it's an idea to provide preinstalled versions, like the ones Steve does, as well?
Old 02 April 2011, 01:43   #3
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Maybe you want to have a look here : http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=746623#post746623

@Bloodwych
Maybe it's an idea to provide preinstalled versions, like the ones Steve does, as well?
I agree, maybe worth hosting the system.zip as well since this seems to be a stumbling point?

@Akiko

I'd be more than happy to setup your card if you want to post it to me, PM if you need that help

Steve.
Old 02 April 2011, 02:00   #4
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

I was thinking ... with the new ACA's now there must be a number of newbies that would like things to be easy... and to setup a new Cf isn't so easy. Before they will buy them with not licensed programs in Ebay, to give the opportunity or the support to make them easier to install a CWB pack (just having the WB disks) is always a good idea.

I would like to take the opportunity to thank Thomas (appart of fitzsteve and a thousand here), as he knows a lot about configuring Cf's, but he is always looking for newbies to help, more than anything else.

Last edited by Retrofan; 02 April 2011 at 02:10.
Old 02 April 2011, 02:06   #5
amigakit.com

@Retrofan

Thats what our OS-Install program does, we include it on every hard disk and CF HD we sell. When the computer is powered on with the hard disk installed, OS-Install appears on screen. It will then setup the Workbench quickly and easily for the user.

Old 02 April 2011, 02:14   #6
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Do you see? ... if you don't tell it, a lot of people woudn't know it.
Old 02 April 2011, 11:25   #7
Bloodwych

The thing is creating the System.zip file is very easy and well documented on the main webpage. Anyway, it makes far more sense to configure Workbench in WinUAE first, then create your System.zip or copy directly to the card/hard drive.

We shouldn't have to be creating System.zip files for people - it was never an issue in the past and suddenly now it's becoming a common request as people see that others are willing to do it for them. In Windows it's very easy - a few clicks and it's done as long as you have the ROMS (which you need for WHDLoad anyway). Anyone using Linux should be technically savvy enough to use WINE for WinUAE, or mount the HDF in the Linux versions of UAE.

The main problem seems to be CF cards - people need a clear instruction page on how to use/partition them, configure Workbench and/or mount them in WinUAE now that they are so popular. I've never used one, so I wouldn't know how to put together a guide. But yeah, it seems the lack of a CF guide is pushing people to ebay for extortionate sales.

If we can get a CF card guide together, with WinUAE and partition instructions, it will probably help the most (I can help with any bits I'm familiar with).

Last edited by Bloodwych; 02 April 2011 at 11:58.
Old 02 April 2011, 11:52   #8
Mr B

I've been struggling with figuring out bits like how to add large drive support (not sure i nailed that one) add new filesystems, and generally speaking, figure out what tools i want to add to my system.

A guide wouldn't hurt, thats for sure, but if anyone came dragging a system.zip, i would perhaps open it in WinUAE, and poke around to see how things were done, and what is there, but then go back to my own, broken, config.
For me, it's a learning experience. For others a very basic setup with WHDload right in the face as soon as the Amiga boots might be a better choice, and a system.zip a real alternative.
Just providing a unsupported one could be a option. (it shouldn't be a legal issue... should it?)
B!
Old 02 April 2011, 23:56   #9
Plus4

As regards the System zip. My view is that you'll see requests for this as *even though* the instructions are clear for your fantasic app Bloodwych.

Tis MAY be because performing the instructions introduce the need to install, configure and use WinUAE as well as undertake activities within an installed version of Classic WB (These activities being copying and zipping files)

This is stating the obvious of course, but these steps mean there are more opportunities for errors and misunderstandings...

And people always like the path of least resistance of course!

A.

Old 03 April 2011, 10:40   #10
Bloodwych

I understand what you're saying Mr B and Plus 4; I've made some support changes and if people are really struggling for the file, we can help out more easily and quickly on the forum.