English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Demos

Old 09 November 2017, 03:11   #1
jdryyz

BigTimeSensuality WHDLoad

I have v 1.4 installed in my ClassicWB_LITE system. I've been testing a lot of demos and the only one that seems to be giving me trouble so far is this one. It gets to the point right where the main song kicks in then exists with an error about "resload".

My system is a PAL A1200, KS 3.1 and ACA 1232 accelerator. The OS 3.1 system in WinUAE that I used to create the A1200 CF install does not have the error so I am thinking it does not like my accelerator. Perhaps there is a Tooltype I need to add/modify? I did try wiping out the install folder and reinstalling from the two disk source using the latest WHDLoad installer. I think it did change one of the Tooltype settings after this which then resulted in another crash and a different error message. It could have been a different PreloadSize value.

I can run the demo booted from floppy disk but it too has a problem-- some funny graphic artifacts during the "in full motion" video portion.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 09 November 2017, 22:47   #2
jotd
Cat freak

I suggest that you create a mantis issue about that with the proper error message. Slave is probably old and needs updating (whdload has evolved and slave probably violates some new checks)
Old 09 November 2017, 23:45   #3
jdryyz

Thanks!

Even with the latest demo installer? A new slave was created. Then again, the installer is probably old too.

I failed to mention I am using the latest version of WHDLoad.
Old 10 November 2017, 00:22   #4
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdryyz View Post
I failed to mention I am using the latest version of WHDLoad.
Oh, I would try 18.2 just to be sure that the same issue doesn't occur
Old 10 November 2017, 07:06   #5
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdryyz View Post
I have v 1.4 installed in my ClassicWB_LITE system. I've been testing a lot of demos and the only one that seems to be giving me trouble so far is this one. It gets to the point right where the main song kicks in then exists with an error about "resload".
I had a quick look, the patch doesn't seem to work with the "fixed" disk 1 image. With the old and apparently "bad" image it works.

I may update the patch in the (hopefully not too distant) future as I noticed some other problems with the current patch which is almost 20 years old.
Old 10 November 2017, 17:30   #6
jdryyz

Thanks for all the responses!

@DamienD -- I'm not in front of my Amiga at the moment. 18.2 is the latest, correct? Or is it up to 18.3 now? [EDIT-- I see it is up to 18.3 and that is most likely what I have installed then. I should mention, I have another near duplicate A1200 setup but running OS 3.9. It does not have the error].

@StingRay -- this makes sense. When I did the reinstall, I had a mixed floppy set. Disk 1 was .adf and Disk 2 was .dms. I later found them both in .dms format on Aminet but I will try your link instead.

Last edited by jdryyz; 10 November 2017 at 17:38.
Old 11 November 2017, 17:33   #7
jdryyz

Using the old source for Disk 1 for the reinstall did not help. I also tried reverting back to WHDLoad 18.2 and the same error appears.

I have attached the error message. Another thing I noticed this time is there is no PRELOAD value at all in the Tooltype.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bigtime error.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	317.6 KB
ID:	55371  
Old 11 November 2017, 18:09   #8
meynaf
son of 68k

Tried latest slave with 18.3 and got no error (there were gliches though).
PRELOAD should be there, really.
To run it from floppy you have to disable the accelerator, this demo works best on unexpanded A1200s.
Old 11 November 2017, 19:35   #9
jdryyz

It works totally fine on another A1200 with accelerator but running OS 3.9. WHDLoad is latest. The icon Tooltype info in this case is the one bundled from a demo collection. The OS 3.1 system had this originally also.

I was wrong before. PRELOAD was there, PreloadSize value was missing. I will try adding it back on the OS 3.1 machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
Tried latest slave with 18.3 and got no error (there were gliches though).
PRELOAD should be there, really.
To run it from floppy you have to disable the accelerator, this demo works best on unexpanded A1200s.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG01178.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	331.1 KB
ID:	55375  
Old 11 November 2017, 20:07   #10
jdryyz

This is strange. After the reinstall, there was no PreloadSize Tooltype. When I checked it just now, there is one! The value is 1812270. Wonder why it differs from the original value of 1819512. Neither makes a difference on the OS 3.1 system.
Old 11 November 2017, 20:42   #11
meynaf
son of 68k

PreloadSize is added by Whdload itself after running the program for the first time.
Old 11 November 2017, 20:44   #12
jdryyz

That explains it!

Now if there's only some way to make it work on this A1200.

Should I bother with the bugtracker report?

Quote:
PreloadSize is added by Whdload itself after running the program for the first time.
Old 11 November 2017, 21:00   #13
meynaf
son of 68k

If it works on one A1200 and not on another, the bugtracker is perhaps not the solution - at least not until you've made a few extra tries.

First, ensure your two copies of the demo - the one that does work and the one that does not - are identical.
Second, there are two checks you can do :
- move away everything located in wbstartup and boot without startup-sequence : type loadwb then run the demo
- copy the whole dir in ram: with the wb and run the demo from there
Old 11 November 2017, 21:17   #14
jdryyz

I won't be able to compare the one that works since I did not create it. It was part of a big WHDLoad demo collection. I just moved over the directories to a partition on my CF card. I did the same for the OS 3.1 system but then discovered the problem with this one demo.

Regardless of the different floppy disk versions, they boot and work on both A1200s, albeit with the graphics artifacts I mentioned earlier. Both machines have '030 accelerators.

I will try your other suggestions.

Quote:
If it works on one A1200 and not on another, the bugtracker is perhaps not the solution - at least not until you've made a few extra tries.

First, ensure your two copies of the demo - the one that does work and the one that does not - are identical.
Second, there are two checks you can do :
- move away everything located in wbstartup and boot without startup-sequence : type loadwb then run the demo
- copy the whole dir in ram: with the wb and run the demo from there
Old 11 November 2017, 22:02   #15
jdryyz

Darn. Thought for sure this would make a difference but despite booting with no WBStartup items and disabled startup-sequence, it still fails with the same error.
Old 11 November 2017, 22:06   #16
meynaf
son of 68k

And what happens if you run the thing from ram: ?
Old 11 November 2017, 22:33   #17
jdryyz

Yes, same thing. Sorry I did not mention it.

Quote:
And what happens if you run the thing from ram: ?
Old 12 November 2017, 09:16   #18
meynaf
son of 68k

So we've ruled out the system and a possible maxtransfer problem on the cf.
I admit i am puzzled now...
Old 12 November 2017, 17:47   #19
jdryyz

Me too. It works under WinUAE which makes me believe it has a problem with my ACA 1232 accelerator. I'm not sure if I can disable the faster CPU but keep the RAM (needed for WHDLoad). It may be all or nothing. Worse than that, I probably have to access a jumper.

Since you mentioned it, my MaxTransfer setting is 0x1fe00 as is recommended for CF storage. I am also using the PFS3 file system. I know that is not important since it failed to load from RAM also.
Old 12 November 2017, 17:58   #20
meynaf
son of 68k

Boards such as B1230 can be disabled with some key press at startup, but for ACA i have no clue. However this would probably disable fastram as well...

Another possible test : disable cpu caches.
You can do that from startup menu, in order to boot from the demo's floppies and see if the result is better.
You can tell whdload to do the same, with "NoCache" tool type.
AdSense AdSense