English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 29 April 2016, 00:19   #1
DuaneL

ClassicWB MultiBoot Menu (right click/left click on boot) not working

Hello All,

I'm unable to trigger the multiboot menus on my A1200 with Classic Workbench OS39. My A600 with Classic Workbench LITE works fine. I've tried 2 different real Amiga mice to no avail. I have also tried holding the mouse buttons before both soft reset and hard reset (power off) as well as immediately after soft and hard reset.

MultiBoot has never worked on my A1200 and I wonder if I messed up part of the setup process. Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 29 April 2016, 08:55   #2
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

ClassicWB just used the tool CheckMouseInput that just sets a variable ($MouseInput) and sets 0 for no button pressed, 1 for Left Mouse Button and 2 for Right Mouse Button.
Imho, just check the C: command CheckMouseInput and see if it works for you.
Old 29 April 2016, 19:59   #3
DuaneL

Thanks Mfilos,

I don't appear to have CheckMouseInput on my computer (at least not in SYS:C)... where is that command executed? Is it in a startup file or somewhere more low level? (I'm sorry I'm pretty rusty after about a 15 year break from my Amigas.)

Old 29 April 2016, 20:05   #4
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

It's GetMouseImput in C: Called from SS
Old 29 April 2016, 22:14   #5
DuaneL

Thanks Arnie,

That's exactly what I needed. I was able to snag this section from my other Amiga's startup-sequence and it works great:

Code:
C:GetMouseInput LOCAL

IF $MouseInput EQ 1
  Unset MouseInput
  C:SetPatch QUIET
  C:Assign >NIL: ENV: RAM:
  C:Assign >NIL: T: RAM:
  C:Execute S:Maxmem-Sequence
  EndCLI >NIL:
EndIF

IF $MouseInput EQ 2
  Unset MouseInput
  C:Execute S:Bootmenu-Sequence
  EndCLI >NIL:
EndIF

Unset MouseInput
All so I could play Neuromancer... sheesh... Still not sure why it wasn't in there already, but it's working now.

Thanks again for all of the help.

Old 10 September 2016, 17:14   #6
vroom6sri

I have an issue which sort of fits this thread so I didn't really want to start another.

I needed to gain as much extra chipmem as I could to get a game working and a quick Google search revealed to me this clever multiboot feature in ClassicWB so I tried it out.

I selected the RAD boot as that seemed to be what I needed. I selected the .info file of the game I needed max chipmem for and the computer restarted. The first time it just seemed to load up ClassicWB as normal so I reset the Amiga and got a software failure which is now the only thing I get if I try to boot to ClassicWB even after it being switched off for over 12hours!!! The software failure occurs once the ClassicWB backdrop has been displayed but before all the icons are displayed.

If I hold down the RMB and select Workbench then it loads to the standard WB with no errors and games will work from there so it seems that the RAD boot must have modified my ClassicWB startup in a way that it is now causing the software failures.

Any ideas on where I should look for the cause of this please?
Old 10 September 2016, 20:03   #7
DuaneL

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroom6sri View Post
I have an issue which sort of fits this thread so I didn't really want to start another.

I needed to gain as much extra chipmem as I could to get a game working and a quick Google search revealed to me this clever multiboot feature in ClassicWB so I tried it out.

I selected the RAD boot as that seemed to be what I needed. I selected the .info file of the game I needed max chipmem for and the computer restarted. The first time it just seemed to load up ClassicWB as normal so I reset the Amiga and got a software failure which is now the only thing I get if I try to boot to ClassicWB even after it being switched off for over 12hours!!! The software failure occurs once the ClassicWB backdrop has been displayed but before all the icons are displayed.

If I hold down the RMB and select Workbench then it loads to the standard WB with no errors and games will work from there so it seems that the RAD boot must have modified my ClassicWB startup in a way that it is now causing the software failures.

Any ideas on where I should look for the cause of this please?
I also had a similar issue. I was stuck in the min memory startup sequence because the startup script to swap them around didn't execute properly. I'm not near my computer at the moment, but have a look at your startup sequence scripts and make sure they're in order. When I get home, I'll have a look at mine and try to provide some kind of additional details.

Old 11 September 2016, 09:00   #8
vroom6sri

Many thanks.

I'll have a look.

I tried the safe boot option but that also ends with a software failure.
Old 12 September 2016, 17:49   #9
DuaneL

Hi Vroom,

I had a few minutes to look at S/RADboot/ and checked out the Startup-Sequence* files in there. If you have a look at those files (which are used for the RAD boot menu options), you can see how the statup sequences are manipulated and moved around. Have a look in those files as well as the RADboot file, then compare that do your startup-sequence file in S:. Most of the statup-sequence voodoo in MagicWB is based on renaming files to change the startup-sequence.

Old 13 September 2016, 16:32   #10
vroom6sri

Thanks for the pointers DuaneL.

At work I had some hdf images of my setup in a working state so I just used that to copy over files and folders to the CF card with the faulty OS to see if that sorted it. I suspect it was once the WBStartup folders were copied over that it started working again although I haven't yet tested it on my real A1200.