English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 14 July 2008, 05:46   #1
Nomad of Norad

Location: Jacksonville, Florida, USA, Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy...
Send a message via ICQ to Nomad of Norad Send a message via AIM to Nomad of Norad Send a message via MSN to Nomad of Norad Send a message via Yahoo to Nomad of Norad
Question Portable WinUAE?

What is the easiest way to make a "portable" WinUAE? By portable, I mean... is there a simple and easy way to install WinUAE or equivalent onto a thumbdrive, carry it to any arbitrary Windoze PC, and launch into WinUAE from the thumbdrive? One where all WinUAE config settings, saved files, and stuff go to the thumbdrive, and nothing is left behind on the peecee when I'm done?

I have AmigaForever 2006, if that helps.

Last edited by Nomad of Norad; 14 July 2008 at 05:54. Reason: Added one line of clarification at the end.
Old 14 July 2008, 08:44   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Hi Nomad of Norad,

WinUAE should work without being 'installed' on the PC as long as all files are on the thumbdrive. You should use relative paths in your configs (e.g. if the disk images are in a subfolder disks use '\disks\SomeGame.adf' instead of 'E:\Amiga\disks\SomeGame.adf'). This way it should run without problems on any PC when you insert the thumbdrive.
Old 14 July 2008, 11:08   #3
Marcuz

does not Winuae leaves some line in the registry the first time it is launched? or it is saves in a ini somewhere?
(for instance the "this is a beta software" requester that appears the first time only that you launch a beta)
Old 14 July 2008, 11:14   #4
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Yes that is possible, but it's not necessary to install WinUAE on the machine. It will run without a proper installation. Tried it several times and never had a problem
Btw : I don't know if there could be any issues with using Amiga Forever this way.
Old 14 July 2008, 11:18   #5
smoorke

Send a message via MSN to smoorke
if you place an empty file named winuae.ini in the winuae dir it will be used instead of the registry (\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Arabuusimiehet\WinUAE) to store most of winuae's settings.
Note that this feature only started being available in winuae1.4.6 if i'm not mistaken.

Last edited by smoorke; 14 July 2008 at 11:41.
Old 14 July 2008, 11:31   #6
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

You can copy WinUAE from one machine to another without problems as TheCyberDruid already said. If you use relative paths it will work without any problem. Did that like 100 times already.
Old 14 July 2008, 11:40   #7
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

I wonder which settings WinUAE stores in that INI-file. Must be something like the position of the main and sub windows. All other things are stored in the config files.
Old 14 July 2008, 11:43   #8
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

No important settings at least as it still works fine even if the registry settings are missing.
Old 14 July 2008, 11:46   #9
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
I wonder which settings WinUAE stores in that INI-file.
Just tried smoorke's trick, and here are the results:
Quote:
[Warning]
info1=This is unsupported file. Compatibility between versions is not guaranteed.
info2=Incompatible ini-files may be re-created from scratch!
[WinUAE]
FloppyPath=.\
KickstartPath=.\
hdfPath=.\
ConfigurationPath=.\Configurations\
ScreenshotPath=.\Screenshots\
StatefilePath=.\Savestates\
SaveimagePath=.\SaveImages\
VideoPath=.\
InputPath=.\Inputrecordings\
MainPosX=240
MainPosY=212
GUIPosX=240
GUIPosY=212
Version=WinUAE 1.5.1 (Public Beta 5, 2008.07.13)
ROMCheckVersion=WinUAE 1.5.1 (Public Beta 5, 2008.07.13)
ConfigurationCache=1
QuickStartModel=0
QuickStartConfiguration=0
QuickStartCompatibility=1
[DetectedROMs]
ROM_062=:SuperIV
ROM_063=:HRTMon
[DiskImageMRUList]
Image01=
The last line (Image**=) goes up to 99 so I've cut it...
Old 14 July 2008, 12:04   #10
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Ah, thanks Shoon!
Yeah, right the default paths and stuff like last opened disks. Well if you just want to play a few games I guess you can live without it
Old 14 July 2008, 13:18   #11
Marcuz

imho all the settings should be kept in a ini as default, and the registry be left clean, but anyway, i don't see myself using winuae on portable as it is a heavyweight program nevertheless. not so much as it was in the past, but still...
Old 14 July 2008, 13:27   #12
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco pedrana View Post
imho all the settings should be kept in a ini as default, and the registry be left clean, but anyway, i don't see myself using winuae on portable as it is a heavyweight program nevertheless. not so much as it was in the past, but still...
Hmm, what do you mean with 'heavyweight' marco? I think WinUAE is rather small and easy to put on a memorystick/thumbdrive. You know Gamebase is no part of WinUAE...
Old 14 July 2008, 13:57   #13
Marcuz

heh
Old 14 July 2008, 21:24   #14
Nomad of Norad

Send a message via ICQ to Nomad of Norad Send a message via AIM to Nomad of Norad Send a message via MSN to Nomad of Norad Send a message via Yahoo to Nomad of Norad
What would be interesting is if someone could devise an automatic way to set up a portable WinUAE. Certain other open-source packages, such as Pidgin and Miranda, have a separate version designed to be portable. Look up Portable Pidgin, Portable Miranda, and the like. They're an offshoot of, and built directly on, the same system as the non-portable version, but each have a dedicated webpage supporting the portable version.

I'm guessing they just devised a customized installer that was set up with the notion that you'd be placing the installed package onto a thumbdrive or such, and not need any kind of registry hooks or the like. Indeed, you could install Portable Pidgin or Portable Miranda to a directory on the desktop, run it once to configure it the way you wanted, then burn THAT folder and its contents onto a CD and the next time run it from the CD!
Old 14 July 2008, 21:28   #15
Shoonay
Global Caturator

I've just stumbled across this on a torrent site... the name's "VMware ThinApp" 4.0.0.200 (the old version was called Thinstall Virtualization Suite) and it is suppose to be a "portable application creator".
I think that's what you need.
Old 14 July 2008, 21:42   #16
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad of Norad View Post
What would be interesting is if someone could devise an automatic way to set up a portable WinUAE. Certain other open-source packages, such as Pidgin and Miranda, have a separate version designed to be portable. Look up Portable Pidgin, Portable Miranda, and the like. They're an offshoot of, and built directly on, the same system as the non-portable version, but each have a dedicated webpage supporting the portable version.

I'm guessing they just devised a customized installer that was set up with the notion that you'd be placing the installed package onto a thumbdrive or such, and not need any kind of registry hooks or the like. Indeed, you could install Portable Pidgin or Portable Miranda to a directory on the desktop, run it once to configure it the way you wanted, then burn THAT folder and its contents onto a CD and the next time run it from the CD!
WinUAE doesn't need that. Like smoorke said just create the empty ini-file and everything is independent from your windows installation There is no need for a portable install. Just trust me and StingRay We both have done that many times and it worked like a charm. (even without the ini file )
Old 14 July 2008, 21:45   #17
Nomad of Norad

So, I take it I can just copy my existing AmgaForever-originated folders over to a thumbdrive, add the empty ini-file there, and I'm away? Or do I copy over just the subset related to WinUAE from inside the AmigaForver-related folders?
Old 14 July 2008, 21:51   #18
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Adjust the paths on your configs so that they are relative. Then copy the WinUAE and everything else you want (games) to be on the thumbdrive over. If there is enough space you could of course copy your whole install over. Then create the ini-file and everything is ready to be portable
Old 14 July 2008, 22:16   #19
Nomad of Norad

So, to paraphrase, I can just take C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Amiga Files (which contains the folders Demos, Games, Other, System, WinFellow, and WinUAE), copy that whole folder to a thumbdrive? What about C:\Program Files\Cloanto\Amiga Forever\Windows\MenuBox\ and its contents?
Old 14 July 2008, 22:25   #20
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Well asked about portable WinUAE I don't know if you need Amiga Forever or if that would run from a thumbdrive. You should check where your kickstart roms are located. If they are located within the Amiga Forever folder copy them over to the thumbdrive aswell.