English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.MAGE

Old 08 June 2006, 16:44   #1
Topgun

Problem with Kickstarts [rare problem with faulty scripts in early v1.1 release]

After I updated Gamebase Amiga from version 1.0 to 1.1 I always get this message when I try to start a game: "Could not load kickstart ROM, trying kickstart replacement." I have the right kickstart versions, I placed them into the WinUAE\Kickstarts folder. I've set the right paths in WinUAE and the scan report shows that Kickstarts for Amiga 500/2000 version 1.2, 1.3 and the Amiga 600 kickstart are available. What is wrong???

Old 08 June 2006, 16:49   #2
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun
After I updated Gamebase Amiga from version 1.0 to 1.1 I always get this message when I try to start a game: "Could not load kickstart ROM, trying kickstart replacement." I have the right kickstart versions, I placed them into the WinUAE\Kickstarts folder. I've set the right paths in WinUAE and the scan report shows that Kickstarts for Amiga 500/2000 version 1.2, 1.3 and the Amiga 600 kickstart are available. What is wrong???

you need the attached Datfile in your Gamebase Amiga folder.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Gemus.zip (478 Bytes, 968 views)

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 08 June 2006 at 18:19.
Old 08 June 2006, 17:37   #3
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

The rom files don't actually need specific filenames, as long as they are in the System ROMs path as defined in WinUAE then GameBase will find them.

There was a problem at one point with the gemus files that did stop this from working, so if you use the ones Retro-Nerd kindly provided, that should fix it.

You could also update to v1.2
Old 08 June 2006, 17:40   #4
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgarath
The rom files don't actually need specific filenames, as long as they are in the System ROMs path as defined in WinUAE then GameBase will find them.

There was a problem at one point with the gemus files that did stop this from working, so if you use the ones Retro-Nerd kindly provided, that should fix it.

You could also update to v1.2
Strange, but when i don't have the Kickstarts zipped a. e. to "v1.3.zip" it won't work. Why?

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 08 June 2006 at 17:50.
Old 08 June 2006, 17:56   #5
eLowar
Citizen of Elthesh

Exclamation changes between v1.0 and v1.1/v1.2

Since v1.1 GameBase Amiga doesn't pass the actual kickstart filename to WinUAE anymore, but just the kickstart version and lets WinUAE figure out the details. This is a new feature since WinUAE 1.1, which is why 1.0 is not supported anymore. So basically you have to make sure WinUAE is set up properly (Kickstart path) and able to find and identify your kickstart roms and you're set.

Retro-Nerd: I couldn't say, that sounds very strange indeed.
Old 08 June 2006, 18:07   #6
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by eLowar
Retro-Nerd: I couldn't say, that sounds very strange indeed.
Finally i found it out. I had the kickstarts zipped & unzipped in the Kickstarts folder. WinUAE probably has problems with that when you want to use the autodetection. I removed the unzipped Roms and all is fine.
Old 08 June 2006, 19:33   #7
Topgun

I tried everything, uninstalled WinUAE and Gamebase, installed everything again, intalled the dat file and still I get the message. If I start WinUAE manually the autodetection finds the kickstart roms but if I try to start a game from Gamebase I get the error message.

I also zipped the roms, renamed them, deleted all unzipped files...it's a mystery.

Old 08 June 2006, 19:46   #8
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
I tried everything, uninstalled WinUAE and Gamebase, installed everything again, intalled the dat file and still I get the message. If I start WinUAE manually the autodetection finds the kickstart roms but if I try to start a game from Gamebase I get the error message.

I also zipped the roms, renamed them, deleted all unzipped files...it's a mystery.
You need only these 3 in your Kickstart folder:

Kickstart v1.2 rev 33.180 (1986)(Commodore)(A500-A2000)[!].zip
Kickstart v1.3 rev 34.5(1987)(Commodore)(A500-A1000-A2000-CDTV)[!].zip
Kickstart v3.1 rev 40.68 (1993)(Commodore)(A1200)[!].zip

Have you rescanned the roms AFTER a rename, delete, unzip & zip? The Gemus.dat is really in the "Gamebase Amiga" folder, unzipped of course?
Old 08 June 2006, 20:12   #9
Topgun

Yes, if I make a scan in WinUAE it sais:
Amiga 500/Amiga 2000 Kickstart 1.2: available
Amiga 500/Amiga 2000 Kickstart 1.3: available
Amiga 1200: available

Then I go to Gamebase and get the error if I try to start a game...I click ok and get this message: "The floppy disk (image file) in DF0: is not compatible with the system ROM replacement funcionality." Then it opens WinUAE and if I make a scan now it finds the roms again...

And the Gemus.dat is really in the Gamebase Amiga folder where I had to overwrite the old one.

Old 08 June 2006, 20:22   #10
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

Topgun, did you actually update WinUAE as well? GameBase Amiga will now only work with WinUAE v1.1 or higher, so if you are using a lower version this will explain it.
Old 08 June 2006, 20:28   #11
eLowar
Citizen of Elthesh

Hmm, also there were (as mentioned) faulty GEMUS scripts for a short while in the v1.1 release, you might want to replace your scripts with those from the current v1.2 database update (you can just only extract the scripts if you want to) to be sure.

Edit: Ah, I see this has already been covered (maybe).

Last edited by eLowar; 08 June 2006 at 20:34.
Old 08 June 2006, 20:54   #12
Topgun

I'm using version 1.2 of Winuae now I installed also the version 1.1.

The Winuae 1.1 bootlog shows this:

load config 'C:\Program Files\WinUAE11\Configurations\C:\Program Files\WinUAE11\Configurations\default.uae':0
load failed
C:\Program Files\WinUAE\Kickstarts\V1.3.zip\Kickstart v1.3 rev 34.5 (1987)(Commodore)(A500-A1000-A2000-CDTV)[!].rom
failed to load config 'C:\Program Files\WinUAE11\Configurations\default.uae'
load config 'G:\Games\Emulation\GameBase Amiga\GameBase Amiga\GameBase Amiga.uae':3
Unknown value for option `sound_output'.
kickstart_rom_file_value

Old 08 June 2006, 21:01   #13
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
I'm using version 1.2 of Winuae now I installed also the version 1.1.

The Winuae 1.1 bootlog shows this:

load config 'C:\Program Files\WinUAE11\Configurations\C:\Program Files\WinUAE11\Configurations\default.uae':0
load failed
C:\Program Files\WinUAE\Kickstarts\V1.3.zip\Kickstart v1.3 rev 34.5 (1987)(Commodore)(A500-A1000-A2000-CDTV)[!].rom
failed to load config 'C:\Program Files\WinUAE11\Configurations\default.uae'
load config 'G:\Games\Emulation\GameBase Amiga\GameBase Amiga\GameBase Amiga.uae':3
Unknown value for option `sound_output'.
kickstart_rom_file_value
You have two "Gamebase Amiga" folder on G:, have you checked this?
Old 08 June 2006, 21:24   #14
eLowar
Citizen of Elthesh

Topgun: Please attach the file "G:\Games\Emulation\GameBase Amiga\GameBase Amiga\GameBase Amiga.uae" the way it is after the error occurs to your next post.

To attach files press "Manage Attachments" in the "Attach Files" area below the "Submit Reply" and "Preview Post" buttons.

Edit: Another question: When you re-installed, as you said, did you use the same files you downloaded a while ago (GameBase Amiga database update v1.0 to v1.1)? As I said, for a short while the initial release contained faulty gemus scripts (that is the scripts in the scripts folder, not the gemus.dat). In case you have those you'll have to upgrade to v1.2 or at least overwrite your scripts folder with the one from the v1.2 update zip. If that's it we obviously won't need the .uae file.

Last edited by eLowar; 08 June 2006 at 21:36.
Old 08 June 2006, 22:19   #15
Topgun

Quote:
Originally Posted by eLowar
Another question: When you re-installed, as you said, did you use the same files you downloaded a while ago (GameBase Amiga database update v1.0 to v1.1)? As I said, for a short while the initial release contained faulty gemus scripts (that is the scripts in the scripts folder, not the gemus.dat). In case you have those you'll have to upgrade to v1.2 or at least overwrite your scripts folder with the one from the v1.2 update zip. If that's it we obviously won't need the .uae file.
Ha! You are abolutely right!!! The problem was that I extracted the Database Update file by drag and drop into the Gamebase folder overwriting the dat file but leaving the damaged script files untouched... Now I replaced the script files in the Scripts folder and everything works fine!!! Thank you very much for your help!