Everyone have a good 2019!
You too and keep up with the good work!

Cheers!
Old 01 January 2019, 14:02   #42
kolla
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by grond View Post
It's cannot be open sourced because it contains disassembled AmigaOS code. Simple as that.
So they had a license to disassemble, rework sources and sell the result?
Old 02 January 2019, 00:55   #43
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon_ View Post
The code being too complex is a very poor excuse. We all know it’s just about earning money, why not just be honest?
Exactly. There's much more complex open source projects than a shitty old graphics card driver from 1996. Absolutely no excuse, in fact it would be laughable if it wasn't such a shame.

Individual Computers. Raping and milking the Amiga's corpse for all it's worth since 1994.
Old 02 January 2019, 01:43   #44
hth313

Ah, let them do what they want, have their small ownership and control, earning some pocket money. It may allow for feeding back some money and hopefully get further developments.

I doubt it is a winning concept for the Amiga, but why not, I could be wrong. Too much open source today and too little time.

I do not even know much about this anyway, does AROS have an alternative to this?

Is this something useful for me by the way? I have a Retina Z3 in my A3000 that is not enabled as I just use native graphics modes.
Old 02 January 2019, 14:44   #45
Overmann

Why would iComp open source it? Presumably they payed money for it? Surely they expect to get some in return for taking on the project of getting P96 up to date (which I suppose they are planning). I don't understand all of this complaining about things not getting open sourced. Why don't you pool your money together and buy the stuff you want to open source and then just do it?

I LOVE the fact that reputable companies like iComp are still making amiga hardware. They've stuck with the platform through thick and thin. Highly commendable!
Old 03 January 2019, 00:06   #46
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overmann View Post
Why would iComp open source it? Presumably they payed money for it? Surely they expect to get some in return for taking on the project of getting P96 up to date (which I suppose they are planning). I don't understand all of this complaining about things not getting open sourced. Why don't you pool your money together and buy the stuff you want to open source and then just do it?

Funny, this was Jens' response to this question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoenfeld View Post
It may be hard to understand for someone from a culture where everything has a price tag, but there is no magic number. There is a lot of love for the classic Amiga line, and if you wait a few more days, you'll see where the journey goes when I make a joint press release with Hyperion.

Jens

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=86765&page=7

But whatever, as long as someone competent is maintaining it and charges a reasonable price (pay as you want seems fine).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
Individual Computers. Raping and milking the Amiga's corpse for all it's worth since 1994.

I didn't realize the Indivision was raping my Denise socket, I consented to it, or is it raping the motherboard or the Denise chip itself? Or is it me, am I being raped and milked?
Old 03 January 2019, 00:17   #47
wawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by hth313 View Post
does AROS have an alternative to this?
sure. aros cybergraphics. and a wrapper that accepts existing p96 driver binaries on amiga.
Old 03 January 2019, 00:22   #48
NovaCoder

I personally don't see the need to open source anything that is in active development.

People get way too hung up on the open source model, sometimes it makes sense and sometimes it isn't a good idea.
Old 03 January 2019, 09:17   #49
E-Penguin
Banana

Quote:
Well quite - god forbid anyone makes money by developing new hardware and software for the Amiga. Jens should be handing out 060 accelerators for free, nay, paying us to take them off him...
Old 03 January 2019, 09:44   #50
kolla
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
I personally don't see the need to open source anything that is in active development.

People get way too hung up on the open source model, sometimes it makes sense and sometimes it isn't a good idea.
You prefer only open sourcing abandonware, with zero chance of knowledge transfer? That's the general problem with open source of Amiga software, it's done in an after thought, instead of being the actual development model.
Old 03 January 2019, 09:48   #51
kolla
Banned

Having a joint press release with Hyperion is never a good thing, bye bye iComp.
Old 03 January 2019, 17:29   #52
spudje

That was the original intention. It's an iComp only party now P69. The joint plans didn't go through with Hyperion. Guess Hyperion is busy "Raping and milking" AOS 3.1(.4) for which they don't even (allegedly) have a license and need all their money (debts) to fight law suits...

No I think Jens and his iComp are one of the most honourable forces in the Amiga scene. Delivering a continuous stream of very usefull and fairly priced Amiga hardware and now also stepping into the software game. I hope he will not burn his fingers doing this, given all the sh*t that's going on.
Old 04 January 2019, 02:09   #53
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudje View Post
That was the original intention. It's an iComp only party now P69. The joint plans didn't go through with Hyperion. Guess Hyperion is busy "Raping and milking" AOS 3.1(.4) for which they don't even (allegedly) have a license and need all their money (debts) to fight law suits...

No I think Jens and his iComp are one of the most honourable forces in the Amiga scene. Delivering a continuous stream of very usefull and fairly priced Amiga hardware and now also stepping into the software game. I hope he will not burn his fingers doing this, given all the sh*t that's going on.

A lot of people are still bitter about Jens' treatment of the Apollo Mach chip debacle. I think a lot of people would change their tune if this was resolved amicably.
Old 04 January 2019, 04:10   #54
Bruce Abbott

Quote:
Exactly. There's much more complex open source projects than a shitty old graphics card driver from 1996.
For the Amiga? Name one. I bet it's shitty.
Old 04 January 2019, 04:18   #55
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Abbott View Post

There's also EGS, and ProBench, surely those aren't shitty. P96 doesn't have an OCS driver, and doesn't work on a 68000@7MHz, therefore it must be shitty. Really why drivers at all, just bang the hardware directly! If it takes more than 4KB then it's going to take up too much room on a floppy.

Jens please buy EGS and ProBench as well, I want to someday find an EGS110/24 also please support Warp3D Nova and Vulkan on them, thanks in advance.
Old 04 January 2019, 07:16   #56
utri007
mä vaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
There's also EGS, and ProBench, surely those aren't shitty.
They are. Have you actually used them?
Old 04 January 2019, 09:19   #57
kolla
Banned

Quote:
Open source on Amiga is always shitty, right?
PeterK's icon.library for example.

No, it's not whether something is open source or not that defines whether it shitty or not, it's the actual code. And as Olsen has pointed out again and again, the OS itself is a huge mess, despite being so called "closed" source.
Old 04 January 2019, 12:26   #58
utri007
mä vaan

EGS has a poor support for the displaymodes and it is not very friendly to use.
ProBench doesn't work at all with 68060 CPU

There is a third one also, wich I havent ever tried. SAGA, wich leads to very annoying matter, Vampire team. Why the hell they have named their products with names of existing amiga products?????

If you try to found any information for SAGA rtg systen or ACT Apollo acceleratos, you will find thousands shittty threads ábout shitty vampire systems.
Old 04 January 2019, 15:49   #59
Gorf

Quote:
YAM, AHI, Dopus, .... and of course thousands of smaller tools programs
(Not counting all the ports from other systems)

Bet you use a lot of open source software on Amiga yourself.
Old 04 January 2019, 16:16   #60
Gorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
There's also EGS, and ProBench, surely those aren't shitty. P96 doesn't have an OCS driver, and doesn't work on a 68000@7MHz, therefore it must be shitty.
And there is CyberGFX and SAGA ... and non of them was open source (except for the cgx-reimplementation for AROS)

This is a perfect example how Closed Source leads to fragmentation! Something OSS ist usually accused of.
Several teams reinvented the wheel over and over again.... would e.g. EGS have been Open, the improvements would have accumulated in one single project, we all would happily use now.

And yes: it would also work for the whole OS, as you can see over at the Atari community or even better now at RISK OS Open!