English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 18 March 2007, 19:10   #161
Jambo
Yarr!

Location: n. A place where something is or could be located; a site.
Incredibly sad news, Paul was an asset not only to this board, but to the entire amiga emulation community.

May he rest in peace.
Old 18 March 2007, 20:06   #162
BobRedthorp
Huge member

I'm very sad to hear this news, my sincere condolences to his family and friends.
Old 20 March 2007, 14:07   #163
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dastardly
I am shocked to hear this news.

Paul was a really nice friendly guy on this forum and I always enjoyed seeing his unique avatars.

My condolences to all his family at this difficult time.

Rest in peace mate.

Only just logged in recently & saw the avatar picture posted above, terribly sad news.

Whilst not knowing Paul personally, I agree with Darstardly that one of most striking memories was no matter how silly or serious the topics that were posted on EAB that Paul would always be good for a laugh with an appropriately-themed Alien Avatar that make me laugh no matter how lousy a day I might've had.

Ditto to the many postings that his "Mod" status was always highly regarded & respected as was his all-round friendliness & help to board members be they new or old.

I think the greatest mark of respect has been that many of the old-timers who'd left the EAB scene & I regard as legends/mates of this board haven't hesistated in returning to pay tribiutes to Paul & his family.

My deepest sympathies to Paul's family in this terribly sad time-EAB will be poorer for his loss,but he will always be fondly remembered here.

RIP Paul.
Old 20 March 2007, 21:00   #164
Turbo2Xs
Zone Friend

Send a message via Yahoo to Turbo2Xs
Like 7-Zark-7 above, I didn't know Paul either, nor have I had much interaction with him on the forums as I largely just "lurk".

That said, he has apparently made an impression on the members here and so I feel for them as well as you. Hopefully you will find some comfort in knowing that he was important enough for people - many he's never met - to mourn his loss. Perhaps in the next life we will mix and mingle with those who strike us...?

God speed...
Old 20 March 2007, 21:01   #165
Feltzkrone

My condolences to Paul's family and friends.
Old 23 March 2007, 17:38   #166
DaZZaBoY
Diamond Geezer!

Did many EABers attend Pauls funeral?

Sorry if I've missed this chat elsewhere but haven't been on here for a week or so.
Old 23 March 2007, 18:34   #167
mr_0rga5m
Tik Gora :D

I think we were all there in spirit.
Old 23 March 2007, 19:13   #168
DamienD
Banned

Most definitely mr_0rga5m
Old 23 March 2007, 23:56   #169
DaZZaBoY
Diamond Geezer!

@mr Orga5m: true enough
Old 25 March 2007, 03:11   #170
blackcornflake

My deepest condolences to Paul's family.

Rest in peace, Paul. I'll miss you.
Old 02 April 2007, 03:06   #171
Djay
95th User

Very Sad News, i haven't been around for a long time and by chance checked out an old link ;-)

I only knew Paul from the text he posted, but i still feel the lose of a friend.

It is strange that never before would you have been able to feel such emotion on the other end of a computer screen.

I will try to post here (much) more often.
Old 05 April 2007, 19:23   #172
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Good Djay, please do. Nice to see you.
Old 10 April 2007, 22:51   #173
teh
aka Superfrog

Paul,

You were a great guy and you'll be missed.

You're in a safer place now.

R.I.P
Old 11 April 2007, 00:16   #174
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Its abit hard to find the words to say, when something like this happens. I only found out yesterday, as I was looking for a something and came across paul's guides site.

As DJay said, I only knew him from the posts he posted here. Im pretty sure 1 of pauls posts prompted me to register here months ago, as I was only ever a guest before.

Been meaning to post here, just wasnt sure what to say.
Old 11 April 2007, 00:25   #175
matthew
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to matthew Send a message via AIM to matthew Send a message via MSN to matthew Send a message via Yahoo to matthew
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL
Been meaning to post here, just wasnt sure what to say.
Same here...
Old 11 April 2007, 00:27   #176
BippyM
Global Moderator

I know it's difficult for you newer/and less active members and hearing your condolences is nice

Paul will be smiling down
Old 02 May 2007, 15:44   #177
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I just got to know what happened.

Paul was a great bloke, always willing to help, always had quality posts, I am sure he will be missed.

Rest in peace, mate...
Old 07 May 2007, 10:22   #178
TheWiseOne

Hi there

We at aiab send are deepest condolences to pauls family.

R.i.p paul you will be missed dear friend

Bye everyone.

Old 11 June 2007, 16:56   #179
BippyM
Global Moderator

Guys I received the following off Paul's mum, just thought you'd be interested

Also I have permission to put his pictures up for viewing, so will get the disk adf'd asap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia (Paul's mum)
In case you're interested – brief summary of Paul.

Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy is a progressive muscle wasting disease. It is genetic and affects every muscle in the body. Paul was diagnosed at 4 years old, had to endure daily physiotherapy, wear night splints to stop his ankles contracting, progressed to callipers, went off his feet at about 8 years old and was confined to a wheelchair from then onwards. At 26, he could only use a computer if you put his hand on the mouse – then he was brilliant! He couldn't do anything personal for himself, was on a liquid diet and used a ventilator at night and a few times during the day. (Respiratory muscles now affected). He was always happy and never complained. These boys only usually live to late teens, early twenties.(In fact someone we knew passed away a few weeks before Paul at 15). Paul went to a normal main stream school. He passed 8 GCSE's then went on to pass GNVQ ICT Foundation with distinction and was presented with a City & Guilds Bronze medal, for which we had to go up to London for, by train. (That's another story, very trying experience). (They didn't know he was disabled or, as we like to say, differently abled!) (He wasn't interested in normal GCSE work, but excelled in GNVQ as it was all computers!) He then went on to pass GNVQ ICT Advanced with distinction. He was unable to work, so did lots of voluntary work such as creating web sites, teaching people how to use computers, publicity etc. (Funny how he had lots of patience teaching other people, but was forever telling me how stupid I was for pressing wrong keys etc. (He was only joking!) All in all. Paul was a very courageous person with a lovely personality, although he would tell you what he thought, he was not one to sit back, by no means shy!He inspired many people and was very much respected and we are/were very proud of him. He never let his condition get the better of him. You would be surprised at some of the things we achieved which others thought were not possible e.g. Playing Pharaoh in Joseph musical at school (made wheelchair into a throne), carrying wheelchair (with Paul in it) up flights of stairs or steep hillsides, so he could get to the places abled bodied people could, seaside holidays, went to youth clubs, cubs and scouts camp, boats on the river you name it we've done it or at least tried it!

If anyone is interested then please feel free to post this on EAB, but, please be careful! Paul knew he was getting weaker, but we never discussed his life span, there may be others who would read this and also not be aware of the life span factor. No point in upsetting people!
Old 11 June 2007, 17:10   #180
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

I thoroughly enjoyed reading that, even if it does only show a glimpse of the guy we called "The Amiga Green Alien", it speaks volumes about his character.

I think only a few (if any) people on here knew of Paul's condition (not sure if that's the right word), he never spoke about it, and it really is amazing that someone can have such courage and never let their problems get in the way of what they want to do. We can take a lot from that.

You should be (his parents should be) very proud of him. As I've said before, he'll be sorely missed.