English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 26 November 2019, 22:38   #1
londonbob

WinUAE Loading CF Card as UNK not RDB

Hi all, I have found WinUAE has stopped registering Cleaned CF cards as "(RDB)" devices when Adding a Harddrive (set as IDE Auto). It was working fine all day yesterday, using an 8GB Sandisk card and cleaning with Windows 10 diskpart utility. I created an OS 3.9 CF card for a real Amiga, which was successful but then BoingBag2 (or the Warp OS drivers addition or both) destroyed it and it stopped working on both WinUAE and the A1200 (frozen mouse pointer on WB startup, plus weirdly the CF card then decided not to load even if it was a slave device which sounds like the problem now) was reading about BB2 and its ROM update not compatible with SCSI devices or something). Anyway couldnt get it work so decided to start from scratch and leave out the BoingBag updates.

Frustratingly WinUAE has subsequently refused to see the CF Card as "(RDB)" always lists them as "[UNK]" even after cleaning with diskpart. This means that the virtual Amiga does not see it as a SCSI device and either HDToolBox remains blank or it crashes when attempting to load with the [UNK] CF Card attached.

I have tried 3 CF cards, one is a working CF card from Amiga-Kit with WB3.1 that still boots in both WinUAE and the A1200. If I load it as a slave Card its picked up as "[UNK]" and is invisible to HDTool box, even though its contents is displayed and I can boot from it. The other two cards an 8 GB Sandisk from the failed BB upgrade and a 30MB testing card are both cleaned with diskpart. Ive rebooted endless times and one time, I moved the USB3 card reader to another USB port and both the Amiga-kit and the Sandisk CF cards registered as "(RDB)" when adding them as a HD in WinUAE briefly, however before I could Format using HDToolbox it reverted to "[UNK]". I am completely baffled and feel battle bruised after 2 days of struggling with a myriad of unrelated issues! Had anyone experienced anything like this?
Old 27 November 2019, 09:10   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

UNK means: drive is not used by Windows and it does not have RDB partition table. Which is normal after drive has been cleaned.

But did you really clean it? Your screenshot shows non-zero data (3...|... string shows first 8 bytes of drive)

Anyway, it still shouldn't make any difference with hdtoolbox. Something else must be causing the problem.
Old 27 November 2019, 21:29   #3
londonbob

Thanks, curious, I am pretty sure it was picked up by as a SCSI drive in HDToolbox when it was registered as "RDB" in the WinUAE Hard Drive list. It definitely worked as I formated the CF card with PFS 3.0 under WB3.1

So the CF Card has been cleaned in Windows 10

WB 3.1 HD Toolbox cant see it at all:

WB 3.9 sees it as a UAEHF device, but it was definitely listed as SCSI before, not quite sure what I have changed as this is consistant behaviour since yesterday!

FYI the frozen mouse symptom that caused me to wipe everything and start again may have been due to my Hotas on the PC taking over from the mouse as the WinUAE game port device, despite me setting it to mouse again after! Ended up unplugging it.

Last edited by londonbob; 27 November 2019 at 21:51.
Old 27 November 2019, 22:20   #4
londonbob

WB 3.9 viewing it as a UAEHF device, crashed the first time when after saving the Partition option was selected, after rebooting, and Install Drive, then Installing again as a NEW device (had to do the HDToolBox Install Drive bit twice when it was a SCSI device otherwise the Partition screen wouldnt appear)..

This will certainly do for now if it can create a readable CF Drive, just strange about my inablity to read CF as a SCSI! I would like to try a different card reader but might take a while to get one
Old 28 November 2019, 15:31   #5
londonbob

*EDIT* In that last test run I had mounted the CF card as UAE Device not IDE Auto which is why it didnt appear as SCSI.

Seems to be working now after I did a "clean all" on the diskpart bit, lets see how it continues