English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 23 June 2019, 19:18   #1
MartinW

Config backups

My copy of WinUAE is creating a 'configuration.backup' file in the recycle bin every time I save a change to a config. I'm sure it started to do this when I temporarily used a pre-release version.

Is it possible to stop it from doing this? I've looked but can't find a setting.

It's really bugging me unfortunately because I'm getting in the habit of just emptying the recycle bin without considering if there may be something I've accidentally put there that I didn't really intend to delete.
Old 23 June 2019, 20:24   #2
AMIGASYSTEM

Go to the "Paths" menu and click on the tab "Reset To Default"
Old 23 June 2019, 21:42   #3
MartinW

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
Go to the "Paths" menu and click on the tab "Reset To Default"
Didn't make any difference - backups are still being created in the recycle bin. Neither did the now deleted reply that suggested to untick 'Cache Configuration Files' since that is already unticked.
Old 23 June 2019, 22:22   #4
AMIGASYSTEM

recycle bin on Windows is not a usable volume, it's strange for you to get this, you probably have some application that deletes the file .backup
Old 23 June 2019, 22:34   #5
DamienD
Global Moderator

You guys might want to read this thread: GUI small improvement: Delete cfg to Windows recycle bin

It's always been like that... I agree that it is annoying though.
Old 23 June 2019, 22:44   #6
AMIGASYSTEM

Sorry, I thought you were talking about the "configuration.backup" file in the "WinUAE\Configurations" path.
Old 23 June 2019, 22:46   #7
MartinW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
You guys might want to read this thread: GUI small improvement: Delete cfg to Windows recycle bin

It's always been like that... I agree that it is annoying though.
Thank you! I didn't realise it had always been like it - could have sworn it started relatively recently for me.

It looks like it only overwrites to the recycle bin when the file 'configuration.backup' in the configurations folder already exists. That means I could start the program from a batch file that deletes that file afterwards but not only is that a pain but it also only works if you only make a single configuration change per run which lets face it, when you're messing about trying various stuff out isn't going to work.

To be honest, it's a deal-breaker for me. I've been using Win-UAE on my gaming PC because my gaming PC is so much faster (and it's in the living room) but I might stop and go back to using FS-UAE on my MBP.
Old 23 June 2019, 22:51   #8
MartinW

@AMIGASYSTEM: Although that thread talks about deleting config files, it also describes the behaviour when saving configs. Delete 'configuration.backup' from the config folder and trying saving a config twice. The first time a backup is created in the config folder, on subsequent saves that one is moved to the recyle bin and then a new one is created.

I can certainly see why you might want the feature, but I can also certainly see why you might not too

My preference, if you're going to have backups would be to have a single backup, per config called "*.backup" that just overwrites each time you save a config. That way you have the best of both worlds. Always your latest config backup but no polluting the recycle bin.
Old 23 June 2019, 22:58   #9
AMIGASYSTEM

It would be nice to have a rescue with progressive number or date and then maybe every now and then delete it by hand.
Old 23 June 2019, 23:17   #10
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinW View Post
It looks like it only overwrites to the recycle bin when the file 'configuration.backup' in the configurations folder already exists.
Yes, that's exactly how it works.

Quote:
To be honest, it's a deal-breaker for me. I've been using Win-UAE on my gaming PC because my gaming PC is so much faster (and it's in the living room) but I might stop and go back to using FS-UAE on my MBP.
What? How is that a deal breaker?

It's just some files that get moved to the Recycle Bin... but you're prepared to switch from the king of Amiga emulators i.e. WinUAE to FS-UAE because of this. That's crazy talk man

WinUAE far outweighs FS-UAE in terms on functionality, features etc... and FS-UAE is forever playing catch-up trying to import Toni's hard work.

Last edited by DamienD; 23 June 2019 at 23:23.
Old 23 June 2019, 23:23   #11
MartinW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
That's crazy talk man
Not really. It annoys the hell out of me

It's just one of those things, I don't expect people to understand or agree really.

If some other emulator works well enough but doesn't do that then that's fine by me. But yeah, no doubt nothing else will work well enough and I'll still be getting annoyed about this for as long as I'm using WinUAE on my gaming PC. Which I really shouldn't be doing anyway.
Old 24 June 2019, 00:03   #12
Foebane

Quote:
Didn't make any difference - backups are still being created in the recycle bin. Neither did the now deleted reply that suggested to untick 'Cache Configuration Files' since that is already unticked.
Yeah, sorry, that was me, I thought it was the solution, but when I activated the cache as a test (to see if I could deactivate it) it resulted in a configuration.cache as well as a configuration.backup - that's why I deleted it.

May I ask why you keep altering and saving the configuration(s) in question?

In any case, I agree that the "configuration.backup" generated after every save (and in just the one file always) is annoying, and I don't need a backup of the former config, as I keep backups of old configs elsewhere. It's really redundant.

Last edited by Foebane; 24 June 2019 at 00:08.
Old 24 June 2019, 00:13   #13
MartinW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
May I ask why you keep altering and saving the configuration(s) in question?
That's a fair question

Dunno, I just seem to be forever tweaking. Display settings especially. I can never seem to find something that I'm 100% happy with. And for example this afternoon I was doing some coding and couldn't work out why my code was using 100% CPU and flying away at 144fps. Again, turned out to be a bad setting on my part but it took a lot of config saves to get there.

You're right, eventually the day should come that I don't need to mess with it, but that day hasn't come yet!

I also use it for creating disk images for my other physical systems and stuff like that too which all involves editing configs.
Old 24 June 2019, 18:30   #14
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I think it gets disabled if HD panel don't use windows recycle bin is ticked but it isn't very good workaround.

EDIT: configuration.backup is already a backup file, it probably should always skip recycle bin move..

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 24 June 2019 at 20:15.
Old 30 November 2019, 23:37   #15
Azvareth

It is not only config files WinUAE places in the recycle bin...

If you have a HD directory and delete files inside the Amiga, the deleted files also is placed in there (at least with WUA 4.2.1).

It might be good if someone "mount" wrong directory and starts to delete files randomly, but in my opinion annoying.

This reply might be slightly of topic as it is not about config files, but files ends up in the recycle bin though.

Last edited by Azvareth; 30 November 2019 at 23:38. Reason: hardware -> HD