English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 27 November 2019, 03:11   #1
digitalMedic

Quick format multiple partitions

Hi all,

I am using the latest release of WinUAE (4.2.1) and experiencing a problem formatting partitions. I created a hard drive file 160GB in size. Set the controller to Commodore IDE and made it RDB. I am able to partition the hard drive into three partitions and put PFS3aio on each partition. The problems comes when I go to quick format. I am able to quick format the first partition fine. When I go to quick format the 2nd partition, HDToolBox (and it appears the Amiga) freeze. If I hit F12 and reset the Amiga, WinUAE freezes for some time, but finally reboots the Amiga. I can then partition the 2nd partition. When I then go to partition the 3rd partition, I experience the same problem, but this time the freezes are a bit longer before things reboot.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Rick

P.S.: This is a brilliant piece of software. Thanks to the author for helping revive the Amiga!
Old 27 November 2019, 04:41   #2
superfrog

Does it work if you do a full format first? If you do a full format, does it still crash if you do a quick format after?

Generally speaking, in the era of the Amiga, doing a full format on a new drive or partition was a necessity. Quick format was only intended to be used to clear the data from a partition that had previously been fully formatted and used.

Even if you are able to do a quick format on a new drive or partition without crashing, the longer-term results can be unpredictable. I have in the past experienced data corruption and unreliable behavior from partitions where data was written without a full format having ever been done.

Tl;dr: Always do a full format on a new drive or partition; use quick format only for partitions that have previously been fully formatted.
Old 27 November 2019, 05:38   #3
digitalMedic

Hi, thanks for the reply. I did not do a full format on the partitions as I read that you should only quick format a PFS3aio partition. Also, the partition can be formatted after it freezes and resets. I can try the full format and let you know.
Old 27 November 2019, 09:23   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Full format was never needed when using harddrives and can be very dangerous if drive is larger than 4G. (Most format commands can't access >4G and will overwrite RDB. Quick format is done by the filesystem)

Does it work if you use UAE controller? If it does, it most likely means your IDE driver (I assume you have some update because usual ROM driver, at least pre 3.1.4, can't access that large drive fully) is not fully working with large drives or something similar.
Old 27 November 2019, 18:51   #5
digitalMedic

Yes, the symptoms appear if I also use the builtin WinUAE controller (I had to change HD Tools icon information to uaehf.device before HD Tools would see the hard drive). Prior to that, I was just using the IDE controller built into WinUAE. I am using the rom file from the new 3.1.4, which I understand is supposed to support large file sizes.

Any other things I should check?

Thanks for replying.
Old 27 November 2019, 19:27   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Enable logging (-log -scsilog -scsiemulog command line parameters = "winuae.exe -log -scsilog -scsiemulog"), use UAE controller, run hdtoolbox. Quit when it crashes and attach log file (winuaelog.txt), if it is not in same directory as winuae.exe, check paths panel for log path.
Old 28 November 2019, 06:44   #7
digitalMedic

Here is the winuaelog.txt file. I waited about 2 minutes before trying to reset the Amiga inside the emulator, which then crashed WinUAE. The program did not shutdown for almost 5 minutes. I put the bootlog in there as well in case it has anything interesting in it for you.
Attached Files
File Type: txt winuaelog.txt (32.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: txt winuaebootlog.txt (20.9 KB, 7 views)
Old 28 November 2019, 19:21   #8
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Unfortunately log looks perfectly fine.

Try without JIT because JIT will crash if something bad happens (that would normally crash the Amiga).

btw, delay when reset is due to pfs3 adding reset handler which hangs if system is already in bad state. Press reset keys again to bypass the about 10 second delay.
Old 28 November 2019, 21:47   #9
digitalMedic

I was running with JIT off already. I had configured the emulator for a 060 with an MMU. Sorry that the log did not provide any insight. It isn't as though you can't create the hard drives, it just takes longer when you have to reset before formatting the next volume. I will live.
Old 28 November 2019, 21:58   #10
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Log has JIT enabled and CPU was 68040. Don't bother with MMU unless you really need it for debugging or development. Or even 68060, you won't gain anything compared to 68040.