English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 22 November 2018, 12:23   #81
BSzili

AVGN videos are not meant to be educational, so it's not a big deal if not everything is a 100% factually correct. He is not that off in most cases anyway. His theme song says he "plays shitty game that suck ass", so obviously he'll focus on the bad games for entertainment
Old 22 November 2018, 13:04   #82
trixster
Guru Meditating

I have mixed feelings about the cd32 and my judgment is clouded by nostalgia and a general love for all things Amiga. I did not own a cd32 then (too expensive for a teenage school kid) and sadly I do not own one now.

I remember the machine being announced in mid-1993 and I remember being excited because the magazines were excited about it (hype) as it was cd based, and cd was the new big thing back in those days.

The A1200 should have been more than it was but it just about managed being relevant when it was released a year before the cd32; so when the cd32 arrived and it was just a 1200 in a dress, in the fast moving world of 90s gaming it was far too little too late. School kids loved the Amiga 500 because it was just about affordable for parents to buy as a games machine and as a home computer (school work, home office etc). It was predominantly loved because you could copy games. Every kid could have a huge and constantly changing games collection because you could just hand over disks to your mate and get the latest releases, sometimes just days after they were reviewed in Amiga Power and Amiga Format.

So along comes the Cd32 in October '93 a year after the 1200..and its just an a1200 (still no fast ram, underwhelming Akiko)... but you can't play copied games and it's too expensive to have as just a games console (no one back then considered its 'upgradabilty' as an actual feature, so you couldn't convince your parents to buy one for your homework). At our school the snes and megadrive were the machines to have and the games were widely regarded as being better than those on the home computers (Zelda, SF2, Sonic got the headlines and were cited by console owners, and as an Amiga owner I had to agree even though I had speedball 2, syndicate, cannon fodder, Vista Pro etc). When my mate brought his import snes with Street Fighter 2 to school in Nov '92 I knew I'd seen the future. At the end of '93 the talk in the playground was about SF2 championship edition, not the cd32. Nobody but the handful of us who owned A1200s cared.

In order to keep up with pc's and consoles I remember I had to get a harddrive (expensive) and a blizzard 1220/4 (expensive). 2 paper rounds.

So what did the cd32 offer? To the console owners it didn't offer enough to tempt them over. Had it been released with a killer version of SF2CE they might have paid attention. To existing Amiga owners it offered a cd drive but it was underpowered and you couldn't play your collection of copied games, plus the A1200 CD-ROM expansion was rumoured and I'd rather have waited for that than cough up £400. had it come out at the same time as the A1200 (or better still two years earlier then oct 93) and been priced a little lower it might have been a success, but there's no way it could have come out earlier. And by the time it got on the market the Saturn and PS1 were on the horizon and no one seemed that interested in re-released A500/1200 games with a snazzy soundtrack.

Too little too late.
Old 22 November 2018, 13:05   #83
Foebane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
BTW did anyone of you noticed AVGN trashed different CD32 than he played with?

He played with early one and dropped the later revision (that was even worse than the early ones).
How can you tell?
Old 22 November 2018, 13:28   #84
Glen M

My first Amiga was an A1200. My next Amiga was the CD32 which I begged my parents for as I bought the whole CD hype thing, heck I was only 14 when I got it.

I will honestly admit though that I was disappointed that Christmas morning as this new shiny grey box didn't offer really anything more than the A1200 sitting right beside it couldn't do. BUT to say its a shit console is a bit harsh in my opinion.

The console wasn't used to its potential. Software houses obviously new the writing was on the wall for commodore so why spend money developing for a new CD based amiga with a new joypad when a simple straight floppy to CD port will work, sell and make the quick £. If I was the software house looking at the state of Amiga in 1993/94 there and I new this console could run our existing software without much modification there is no shadow of a doubt that I would do the same thing.

The few games though that do use the console really shine when compared to the A1200 variants. Guardian is a fantastic example of this. The game is designed for the console, makes full use of the joypad and has outstanding CD audio.

We should of had more FMV games. Yes they are not fondly looked at these days but at the time they were the big thing and the CDXL format while poor compared to the playstation etc is noticeably better than the MegaCD. Road Avenger anyone? This comes back to my point above though that it was to risky to develop for this hardware.

If you need any more evidence to this fact just look at the launch game, the game used to advertise this system. Microcosm. An FM Towns game ported to the CD32, Mega CD and other consoles and a really crap game at that. Looked pretty with its FMV but that's it.
Old 22 November 2018, 14:33   #85
Cherno

FMV games were very expensive to make, I believe Phantasmagoria cost 4.5 million and The 7th Guest over 1 million, both huge sums for the time. As you said, no one dared to spend that kind of money on the CD32.
Old 22 November 2018, 15:09   #86
sokolovic

For the CD32 alone maybe, but this is why these games have benn ported to several platform.
I also was hoping only fmv title ont the CD32 (and still does, thank for the job made by earok). Dune, Megarace, Lost Eden, Novastorm, Lawmower Man, Dracula CD... These was the games I was hoping for the machine (not even 3D ones like on the PSX later. For me that was completely out of the league of an affordable home console anyway.). These games were nearly finished and canned a month or two before release. That's a pity.
Old 22 November 2018, 15:48   #87
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
How can you tell?

The case differs.
Old 22 November 2018, 18:31   #88
nexus

he uses props
he is a movie director etc etc
anyone not see his x-mas special with Keith Apicary lol
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 22 November 2018, 18:41   #89
carrion

Quote:
I am not surprised

Actually, I agree with almost everything he said in that video. The only thing that I think is not the fault is jumping using the UP button. This was just one of two philosophies - home computers used up, game consoles used a button. CD32 is a home computer in console body.
Hehe. same here. But I was a bit afraid to post it here.
I love the guy and his show and he actually has the point in many cases.
Old 22 November 2018, 19:22   #90
Foebane

Quote:
The case differs.
So it does, according to these stills: the Commodore logo is white, and the "Amiga CD32" sticker looks cheaper, on the model that goes into the dumpster.

I'm guessing that maybe the CD32 he was using was on loan from someone else so he had to return it, and the other one was a broken donation. I hear he gets donations all the time, so it's not unreasonable to assume that.

What I'd like to ask everyone is: Is the Amiga CD32 similar to the Commodore 64GS? They both take existing popular computer hardware and attempt to make consoles out of them, and they both failed to take off. Would you agree with that assessment? All I can say is that Commodore were less successful in their attempts at consoles than Atari were: the 2600, 7800 and XE Games System were successes (as far as I know) whilst the 5200 and the Jaguar were miserable failures. Agree?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CD32-1.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	60901   Click image for larger version

Name:	CD32-2.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	60902   Click image for larger version

Name:	CD32-3.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	60903  

Last edited by Foebane; 22 November 2018 at 19:29.
Old 22 November 2018, 20:48   #91
Zak
Zap´em

I got my hands on a bunch on CDs on a bargain-sale. I noticed that several CDs would not work with my A1200, the sale just said "Amiga CDs" when I read about it in the newspaper and I was surprised at home that some CDs wouldn't actually work on a normal Amiga.

But I then saw a special offer for a used CD32 which had some problems and was cheap.

One of the CDs I got was Diggers which I didn't find too bad, because it's very relaxing and de-stress if you once got into it.

The thing is, when I had my A500 before all that, I had to read game magazines, too, because when you buy games just judging the cover, you often got crap, even for the more popular A500. And there where many crap games for the A500! This is not a unique CD32 prroblem.
Old 22 November 2018, 20:58   #92
Foebane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak View Post
I got my hands on a bunch on CDs on a bargain-sale. I noticed that several CDs would not work with my A1200, the sale just said "Amiga CDs" when I read about it in the newspaper and I was surprised at home that some CDs wouldn't actually work on a normal Amiga.
Funnily enough, I once managed to convince my Amiga-HATING friend to put a CD32 CD-ROM into his PC's CD-ROM drive, I can't remember why I would do that, maybe there were music tracks we were trying to play. In any case, he claims that I BROKE his CD-ROM drive as a result. Then again, he was probably once again trying to blame the Amiga.

Is there any way in which putting an Amiga CD-ROM into a PC CD-ROM drive would break the latter?
Old 22 November 2018, 21:01   #93
d4rk3lf

Quote:
So it does, according to these stills
You still take AVGN very seriously.
No way he would seriously damage any of the retro stuff. He just throw it in a trash, and then pull it back.
If he does physically destroys any of the console in his videos, I am positive it's just an empty plastic shell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak View Post
And there where many crap games for the A500! This is not a unique CD32 prroblem.
Not at all, unique for CD32
Nes system had a huge pile of crappy games (AVGN made a career playing those games), especially LJN games.
When I had Commodore, I also remember there were a lots of bad games.
It's pretty much common for every comp and console, I guess.
Old 22 November 2018, 21:44   #94
Amigajay
醉拳

Quote:
Funnily enough, I once managed to convince my Amiga-HATING friend to put a CD32 CD-ROM into his PC's CD-ROM drive, I can't remember why I would do that, maybe there were music tracks we were trying to play. In any case, he claims that I BROKE his CD-ROM drive as a result. Then again, he was probably once again trying to blame the Amiga.

Is there any way in which putting an Amiga CD-ROM into a PC CD-ROM drive would break the latter?
No of course not, it would just not read the data on it, and if there was no cd audio some drives would either just stop the cd spinning whilst others just eject the disc, to say it broke it is just bollox on his part.
Old 22 November 2018, 22:01   #95
Marlon_
Amiga Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
One thing AVGN didn't mention, is that you could add external keyboard and mouse, and make your CD32 something like A1200. That's a BIG thing for me personally, and something that no console had (from my knowledge
Ever heard of the Bandai Pippin? This was basically a classic mac ppc turned into a games machine. It had the mac desktop too, so you could use it as a regular Mac. However, this was a flop too. Probably even worse flop than CD32.
Old 22 November 2018, 22:09   #96
nexus

well actually many consoles you could turn back into a computer so that wasnt anything new
eg ADAM coleco FAMICOM family computer SEGA SG series etc etc
then around this time you had FM-Towns Marty etc
saturn and ps1 you could do those things dreamcast etc
the Pippin did somewhat ok in japan as the ATMARK

Last edited by nexus; 22 November 2018 at 22:15.
Old 22 November 2018, 22:15   #97
jotd
This cat is no more

An interesting thing about the CD32 is the need to adapt Amiga games to joypad + CD music (on official and unofficial/CD32load/WHDLoad adaptations)

When running emulators on console games, the buttons always do the same thing. But pick the amiga, sometimes pause is P sometimes it's F6 (WTF!) sometimes there are extra keys, space for smart bomb... Forcing to adapt for the console also makes it playable from a joypad. And people using emulators like Raspberry pi can benefit from those new versions (no keyboard mapping to configure, yes!!)

Again, if you didn't care about the amiga and its games, the CD32 wasn't really worth it (that's not my case, and I enjoy the extra challenge of making a game which wasn't designed for the CD32 run on it, with CD audio tracks & joypad buttons)

Note: I own 2 CD32 machines with new lasers.

Erm @Amigajay
Quote:
No of course not, it would just not read the data on it, and if there was no cd audio some drives would either just stop the cd spinning whilst others just eject the disc, to say it broke it is just bollox on his part.
Amiga CD32 discs are ISO (uppercased limited char no Rockridge and all), so PCs read them all right, data & audio track... It's different with floppies of course.

Last edited by jotd; 22 November 2018 at 23:26.
Old 22 November 2018, 23:10   #98
Foebane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
to say it broke it is just bollox on his part.
You have no idea how much my friend DESPISED the Amiga. He owned a ZX Spectrum, then an Atari ST, and finally a PC. He said the OS was entirely unstable and unreliable, he and his friends used to hang around a computer shop and "dissuade" people from going for the Amiga (so he told me) and (get this) he even proudly said that SID was a better sound chip than the Amiga's (I didn't reply at the time cos I had no knowledge of SID's abilities).

He always used to berate my "crappy Amiga" with a huge grin, and at one point when I told him it was harder to program the Amiga, he seemed hugely satisfied and cheered up.

I don't know what his problem was, I guess he was just jealous. Or he had a really negative experience with the machine that he never told me about.

The thing is, he's on Facebook, and I'm really tempted to Friend him on there, but I fear I'll only bring up the old rivalries once again. Maybe I'm hoping he'll have done extensive research on various retro platforms in the intervening years and come to the conclusion that Amiga rocks. Then again, from what I've seen, he's become quite the console game collector and custom PC addict.
Old 23 November 2018, 01:38   #99
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

Quote:
And for the God's sanity, don't even tell him about this:

http://hol.abime.net/2952/miscshot

I really liked this game !!!
Better than kangfu for me.
Old 23 November 2018, 01:44   #100
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator

Quote:
You have no idea how much my friend DESPISED the Amiga. He owned a ZX Spectrum, then an Atari ST, and finally a PC. He said the OS was entirely unstable and unreliable, he and his friends used to hang around a computer shop and "dissuade" people from going for the Amiga (so he told me) and (get this) he even proudly said that SID was a better sound chip than the Amiga's (I didn't reply at the time cos I had no knowledge of SID's abilities).

He always used to berate my "crappy Amiga" with a huge grin, and at one point when I told him it was harder to program the Amiga, he seemed hugely satisfied and cheered up.

I don't know what his problem was, I guess he was just jealous. Or he had a really negative experience with the machine that he never told me about.

The thing is, he's on Facebook, and I'm really tempted to Friend him on there, but I fear I'll only bring up the old rivalries once again. Maybe I'm hoping he'll have done extensive research on various retro platforms in the intervening years and come to the conclusion that Amiga rocks. Then again, from what I've seen, he's become quite the console game collector and custom PC addict.

Everyone knows that Atarians (or, better said, STeans) hate on the Amiga 'cos they couldn't stand the fact that their beloved machine was inferior to it. Deep down inside your friend knows it, even if he never acknowledges it.

Back on topic: In fact, now that I think of it, I can't recall any console-based computer or computer-based console that fared well except for the Amiga. The Amiga was going to be the Lorraine - a jab at the console market. It became a computer instead and the rest is history. All the other attempts at crossing the computer/console barrier were unsuccessful. At least until the first Microsoft Xbox, which is basically a nVidia-based Wintel PC in console dressings...