English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 21 November 2018, 23:37   #61
Marle
Pixel Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rare_j View Post
I didn't realise the price of it was so poor....
Imagine opening up your CD32 with Oscar or Dangerous Streets, and realising you could have been playing Sonic or Mario All Stars for less money.

A well-deserved bashing from the nerd.
Yeah I mentioned that earlier, at first in 1994 I thought it was a CD32 I had to get, even though realistically I have no idea how i would have afforded it (probably have sold my A600, thankfully that never happened and I still have the A600).

Instead I bought after a lot of saving a SNES with All Stars around the middle of 1994 if my memory serves me right for about £100, I seem to remember it was just over £100 as I had to wait for another week's paper round money to make it over £100

The games were more expensive but so long as you got a good one, like Mario Kart and Secret of Mana, there was a heck of a lot of game for your money.

Occasionally in Super Play Magazine you would see reader Ads offering to swap CD32s for SNESs....Ouch.

Of course I see the use of a CD32 today as an Amiga, but as a console at the time, it proves what good marketing can do - the IBM PC sold well due to marketing, and the CD32 did sell well in the UK due to marketing... doesn't mean they were better than the competition though. Some twisted irony in that isn't there?

After the initial launch, the CD32 was the buzzword at school but by mid-1994, everyone was back to talking about Mega Drives and Super Nintendos, and the MegaCD seemed to generate buzz at school, even though nobody had one to my knowledge.
Old 21 November 2018, 23:38   #62
Marle
Pixel Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
Btw Marle, I am watching your pixel art videos, and you're doing a great job. Very appreciated. Keep up the awesome work.
Aww thank you, that's very kind - I know I'm not a video machine in churning out lots of content but I want to keep my own pace that I enjoy working at and produce quality thought about content Very happy to read that the content is well received!
Old 21 November 2018, 23:40   #63
d4rk3lf

What I don't get, why AVGN (and some others) consider Zool 1/2 mediocre at best?
Sure, there were better platformers then Zool, but still, imho, its a very nice platformer,
Its fast, with good, responsive controls, and I like the way you can hang on the vertical walls.

What Sonic offers that Zool don't have?
(I've played both a little bit, loks very similar to me, and I've always consider Zool, as an Amiga Sonic)
Old 22 November 2018, 00:13   #64
Amigajay
醉拳

Quote:
Originally Posted by rare_j View Post
I didn't realise the price of it was so poor. Could have had a snes or an md with a pile of games for the same money. A really really poor offering from Commodore.
Imagine opening up your CD32 with Oscar or Dangerous Streets, and realising you could have been playing Sonic or Mario All Stars for less money.

A well-deserved bashing from the nerd.
You do realise a CD based machine back in 1993 wasn’t cheap to make right? Even the Mega CD combo with Megadrive was £400, 3DO £553 eq, FM Towns Marty £764 eq, CDi £499, the CD32 was a decent price for 2x speed CD based console, which hit £249 after Christmas.
Old 22 November 2018, 00:17   #65
rare_j
Zone Friend

Yeah, I totally get it, but that doesn't change the fact that the offering was really poor.
The other CD based consoles were also really poor value, they all were until Playstation.
Old 22 November 2018, 00:34   #66
jotd
This cat is no more

the CD was just a big floppy disk... SNES & Sega got their cartriges so all data was available at once. With the CD you had to load data into memory. Looks more like a computer than a console to me

Yes, until the Playstation...
Old 22 November 2018, 00:46   #67
Amigajay
醉拳

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
the CD was just a big floppy disk... SNES & Sega got their cartriges so all data was available at once. With the CD you had to load data into memory. Looks more like a computer than a console to me

Yes, until the Playstation...
How does having a CD drive make more it like a computer? by that sense a Mega CD or Playstation is a computer!
Old 22 November 2018, 00:48   #68
jotd
This cat is no more

I mean it needs a lot of RAM, and helloooo loading time. Cartridge consoles don't have a lot of RAM, cos they don't need to and they don't have packed data or loading.
Old 22 November 2018, 00:51   #69
Amigajay
醉拳

Quote:
I mean it needs a lot of RAM. Cartridge consoles don't have a lot of RAM, cos they don't need to.
Of course, but that doesnt define what a games console is, which is a computer system made purely to play games and connect to a television, which the CD32 does, its upgrade possibilities have nothing todo with its main use to play CD based games.
Old 22 November 2018, 03:25   #70
-Acid-

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortuguesePilot View Post
as a 5th generation console, sucked donkey balls. It even sucked compared to the most established 4th generation consoles...
The CD32 is clearly 4th gen no matter what Wiki says.

Commodore were bankrupt and the CD32 discontinued in 1994 and it's classed as a 5th gen console. The Neo Geo CD was released late 1994, AFTER the CD32 was discontinued and Commodore were out of business so how is that classed as 4th gen?!

The CD32 was a direct competitor to the MegaCD and let's see.... that was the 4th gen too!
Old 22 November 2018, 04:43   #71
switchblade

I actually found the video hilarious considering it was more entertainment than informative. I've also noticed the absolute lie that the CD32 ruined Commodore.

That said, he's not really wrong when it comes to the Amiga CD32. It's just average (or below average) overall. Especially considering the competition it was trying to go up against. Even if you ignore the games released on it, the build quality was just terrible, the system layout makes no sense for what should be a dedicated gaming console, and the controller is poorly thought out as well. He also brought up an important point about the CD32.

If it did get released in the States as planned, it would've costed $400 at retail. While not as expensive as the 3DO, it would've been more expensive than the Sega CD, TurboGrafx CD, or even the Philips CD-i. And that would've been the CD32's main competitors at that time.

And the shitty games he showed off.... holy hell.... I've heard that Dangerous Streets, Surf Ninjas, and Kang Fu were bad, but Jesus Christ....
Old 22 November 2018, 05:00   #72
nexus

dont forget it had a MPEG card for FMV
it was better than those above and was made even better due to 3rd party accessories
which is why i got it
took a xmas and a bday to get the cd32 and sx-1 with hdd and more ram
and since i was moving all the time was portable in a sense
Old 22 November 2018, 05:27   #73
LongLifeA1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
Well, he used a neutral, almost respectful tone...
I don't know. He came across as a little bit... angry.
Old 22 November 2018, 06:51   #74
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Acid- View Post
The CD32 is clearly 4th gen no matter what Wiki says.

Commodore were bankrupt and the CD32 discontinued in 1994 and it's classed as a 5th gen console. The Neo Geo CD was released late 1994, AFTER the CD32 was discontinued and Commodore were out of business so how is that classed as 4th gen?!

The CD32 was a direct competitor to the MegaCD and let's see.... that was the 4th gen too!

I know. But the fact that the Neo-Geo has a 16bit processor and the CD32 has a 32bit processor (and went as far as calling itself "the first 32bit console ever") is, I think, the decisive factor. Either we agree or not, the CD32 is included onto the 5th generation of consoles, even though it is based off a computer design that came out in the first half of the 90's. By your example, the SEGA 32X should be considered as a 5th generation console as well, but since it's actually not a console but an extension for the MegaDrive (a 16bit 4th generation console) makes it not count, I guess. So, by that order, and since it preceded both the Panasonic 3DO and the SEGA Saturn (the Philips CD-i is 16bit), the CD32 is - in fact - the West's first 5th generation console and second only to the FM Towns Marty.

Last edited by PortuguesePilot; 22 November 2018 at 06:57.
Old 22 November 2018, 07:00   #75
jotd
This cat is no more

shitty AGA non-chunky mode and ECS-only game catalogue + "up for jump" made it a non-starter for non Amiga fans. We love the console only because it's a keyboardless amiga with a CD drive and a multi-button joypad. For non-amiga fans, it's another story.

(and yes, it was unfair to show those shitty games he showed. At least show Fire & Ice CD32, Microcosm intro, James Pond 2 CD32, Pinball Fantasies, Speedball 2, Chaos Engine, and other AGA/dual playfield enhanced AGA games that made their way into the CD32, but I guess it would have sent a mixed message). Oscar is okay with in-game CD music (rare) and lots of levels, but it's just boring as hell like most dumb platformers where enemies just walk left to right and right to left...

If you have a megadrive, try "Last Battle" for instance.

Last edited by jotd; 22 November 2018 at 07:06.
Old 22 November 2018, 11:01   #76
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
What I don't get, why AVGN (and some others) consider Zool 1/2 mediocre at best?
Sure, there were better platformers then Zool, but still, imho, its a very nice platformer,
Its fast, with good, responsive controls, and I like the way you can hang on the vertical walls.

What Sonic offers that Zool don't have?
(I've played both a little bit, loks very similar to me, and I've always consider Zool, as an Amiga Sonic)
I think you should get a Megadrive and play through Sonic 1 and 2. They're both far more interesting, addictive, smooth, playable, and with bigger levels and better level design. I had played Sonic before I played Zool, and couldn't believe how poor it was in comparison when so many people were saying it was the Sonic of the Amiga. Sure, it's fast and has some interesting mechanics in the climbing walls, but it was also jarring at times with not enough visibility, awkward scrolling, mediocre sound, no music (except on the CD32 version) and boring level design. Essentially, to me Sonic always felt more polished, like there was more work put into it, and Zool always felt like a Sonic wannabe.
Old 22 November 2018, 11:27   #77
Foebane

In the last 24 hours I have played Dangerous Streets and Surf Ninjas, and... they... ARE... BAAAAAD. I wholeheartedly agree with the Nerd on those two.

Now, if someone could point me to a WHDLoad of Kang-Fu, I will complete this Unholy Trinity of Bad Gaming.

EDIT: Never mind, found it over on the WinUAE.support board. My GOD, THAT game is an ACID TRIP.

Last edited by Foebane; 22 November 2018 at 12:33.
Old 22 November 2018, 11:44   #78
Steril707
OCS rocks!

Quote:
shitty AGA non-chunky mode and ECS-only game catalogue + "up for jump" made it a non-starter for non Amiga fans. We love the console only because it's a keyboardless amiga with a CD drive and a multi-button joypad. For non-amiga fans, it's another story.
Basically this.

I never understood the Amiga scenes infatuation with this abomination of a console.
I think back in the day I read one time about it in a magazine, and shook my head in disbelief, once more thinking how deep the mighty Amiga has fallen in only seven or eight years time since the 1000.
Old 22 November 2018, 11:51   #79
nexus

issue was the market moved too quick to 3D the PC-FX falls in the same boat and it came out a year later and had no 3D hardware support though it was ready for one as the PC-FXGA does have the chip they made
C= would have had to do the same with CD32 on the expansion to have any way competing 1 year later and would need to sell hardware at a loss and make it up in licenses
all while having a GOOD marketing team which they were lacking at the time
it REAL saving grace for Amiga users was you could turn it into a computer which gave it another life
even more for those who could get a SX-32 pro in it
basically even if the CD32 did do well it would have been short and they would have needed AAA Hombre system right after
but the way internal BS in the company was going all this was impossible when you had tons of other companies designing faster better cpu's gpu's etc at a fast rate during this time
spending tons in R&D
too bad phase 5 never made a BPPC for it lol that would have been something a fast PPC with a permedia or something

Last edited by nexus; 22 November 2018 at 12:04.
Old 22 November 2018, 12:17   #80
Amigajay
醉拳

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post
I never understood the Amiga scenes infatuation with this abomination of a console.
I think back in the day I read one time about it in a magazine, and shook my head in disbelief, once more thinking how deep the mighty Amiga has fallen in only seven or eight years time since the 1000.
You are basically slagging off the A1200 too in this statement.

The Amiga by most people was used to play games, yes the CD32 had its faults, but the main premise and what alot of people were moaning about Amiga disk games was that;

A) no more annoying disk swapping
B) slightly faster loading
C) standard 7 button controller - something people wanted for years
D) music AND sfx playing together

To say its abomination is laughable, when its clearly THE best gaming Amiga ever produced, yes it died an early death thanks to Commodore, but the machine as an enhanced gaming Amiga was great.

I’m not deluded to think the CD32 would have taking on the 3DO and later on the Playstation, Saturn, it would never had done, people tend to think there is one computer market and one console market, when in actual fact there is several layers of each and what price people will pay for certain tech, its exactly why the C64, Master System were still selling until 93-94. The CD32 was primary aimed at existing Amiga 500 owners wanting to upgrade just to play games, if they got sales from the main console market then it was a bonus.

Last edited by Amigajay; 22 November 2018 at 12:30.