English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene > Member Introductions

Old 29 December 2008, 22:02   #1
pubzombie

Newbie says hello again to my fave ever system

HI Guys.
and happy holidays to all. I just want to introduce myself and say hi before i drive you all mad with questions and you tell me to read the wiki
I always loved the Amiga and it has always been my favourite system to emulate on the gp2x.
My beloved brought me one of the 'OLD new' 'unused' Amiga1200 from amigakit.co.uk. It came without a mouse or the operating system - as she is not at all computer game minded, when asked if i needed an OS installed she told them 'NO' as 'i do it all the time??????' in fact she hates me playing games so she brought me my favourite ever system. i don't understand women!!!! I called mat at amigakit.co.uk - who was very very patient and most helpful despite his cold, and he advised me to start off with the following:

operating system 3.1 comes on 6 disks - i presume this is workbench etc? will i need to install this every time i boot the machine? will i need a hard disk to get over this? is the OS installed on a chip in the original machine?
a mouse of course!
an easy adf transfer kit with 1 gig card - now this baffles me a bit - does it not work similar to a hard disk any way? can i use whdload with this - bear in mind i dont know what whdload really is?
a luverley jubberley joystick!
a hard disk seems a good idea from what u guys say so i will order one next week, if i can build my own pc i take it i can install a pre formated and partitioned drive? what else do i need to use 'whdload' to import my games from pc to hd?
i loved my amigas in the 1990s so this is going to be a full on obsession and i would like to get to know other like minded nutters - i just need a little prod in the right directions.
finally i would also like to start collecting the games again - my boxes ,floppies and instructions are a mouldy mess in my dads shed, so if you can help me out buying games PM me. ANYTHING BY BRAYBROOK (PARADROID 90 AND URIDIUM2 ARE AN ABSOLUTE MUST) AS ARE ANYTHING BY TEAM 17 AND MICROPROSE, OH AND JULIAN GOLLUP TOO PLEASE.

once again thank you very very much
and thanx Matt
i couldnt sleep last night - i feel 15 years younger AND DUMBER

pub x
Old 29 December 2008, 22:40   #2
ppill
CON: artist

Welcome to the board! I'm sure you'll enjoy it here

Hard drive is a must these days. You could either go with a 2.5" ATA drive (if you ca get your hands on a 44pin ribbon cable to connect it to the internal IDE port) but a CompactFlash>IDE adapter together with a 4GB card would prolly be a better way to go.

Check out classicwb.abime.net for a complete preconfigured AmigaOS setup filled with all goodies (software) you'll ever need. Should save you tons of time setting everything by yourself.

A memory expansion (even better... an accelator) is going to be the next obvious step. All the extra speed and memory will come in handy when using WHDLoad.

Register WHDLoad, download KillerGorilla's game packs and you my friend are in amiga gaming heaven
Old 29 December 2008, 23:36   #3
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Welcome pubzombie, I am the dude from gp32x that sent you here.

Check out our wiki style FAQ above in the links and fire away any questions you may have.

Once you get a HDD or compact flash adapter and CF card you install workbench once and off you go.

Now this is where you can cheat: If you have a PC running windows and winuae you can install the operating system on the HDD with winuae using adf files, you do this by connecting the hdd to your PC then mounting it in winuae so you can access it in the emulated environment. You can also use this method to install whdload and many whdload games.

www.winuae.net
www.whdload.de
www.whddownload.com

You will also need the installer package from aminet found here:
http://aminet.net/package/util/misc/Installer-43_3
Install that before installing whdload, should make life easier.
Old 30 December 2008, 00:23   #4
pubzombie

hi fellas,
thanx for the replies
this is a big step for me so its one thing at a time!
ok so a hard disk is a must, but for us beginners can anybody tell me in six year old terms what whdload is? PLEASE

i just upgraded my laptop and desktop to 64bit vista is that going to be a problem?
As i also got for Christmas the Speedlink Amiga Classix Diamond editon and usb joystick compilation and cant get it to instal under vista 64 or 32, but it installs on my girlfriends win2000 laptop!
should i set up a drive partition or seperate drive on my desktop with just win xp on it for emu and transfer tasks?
its the holidays so i,m drunk........
Old 30 December 2008, 00:32   #5
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by pubzombie View Post
hi fellas,
thanx for the replies
this is a big step for me so its one thing at a time!
ok so a hard disk is a must, but for us beginners can anybody tell me in six year old terms what whdload is? PLEASE
Hi pubzombie (nice nick ) and welcome to EAB!
Have a look here about WHDLoad : http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=5267

Quote:
i just upgraded my laptop and desktop to 64bit vista is that going to be a problem?
As i also got for Christmas the Speedlink Amiga Classix Diamond editon and usb joystick compilation and cant get it to instal under vista 64 or 32, but it installs on my girlfriends win2000 laptop!
should i set up a drive partition or seperate drive on my desktop with just win xp on it for emu and transfer tasks?
Just download WinUAE (http://www.winuae.net/) and use the kickstart images from your Amiga Classix Diamond CD. WinUAE runs fine on Vista, so no need to use the frontend from the Amiga Classix Diamond CD

Quote:
Same here
Old 30 December 2008, 00:38   #6
pubzombie

ok thanx guys, iwill be back with more questions and headaches.

do i find the kickstart images by exploring the amiga classix cd?
in the mean time all posts welcome 'HIC'

Last edited by pubzombie; 30 December 2008 at 00:45.
Old 30 December 2008, 00:44   #7
DH
Global Moderator

Welcome to EAB

'Tis the season to get drunk falalalalaaaaaa lalalalaaaaaaa

Enjoy your time on EAB and no questions are gonna cause any headaches mate!
Old 30 December 2008, 00:45   #8
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Speedlink Amiga Classix Diamond editon and usb joystick compilation
Wow! I've got to get me one of those! ... £12.99 at play.com ( http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/645953...k/Product.html )

Quote:
But first, I've got to get drunk too!
Old 30 December 2008, 00:47   #9
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonHellraiser View Post
'Tis the season to get drunk falalalalaaaaaa lalalalaaaaaaa
Didn't know you can sing so sweet mate
Second the part about the headaches

@prowler
Just get the Competition Pro, but since it has lousy microswitches and lags like hell, it's better you stick with the Amiga joystick adapter idea
Old 30 December 2008, 00:54   #10
DH
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Didn't know you can sing so sweet mate
Only when I've had a few
Old 30 December 2008, 13:48   #11
extralife

amiga and booze fits like a glove indeed anyways, if u wants to get your amiga1200 ready for whdload games, the peeps here have told u mostly what u really need
So to sum it up
Hardware for a1200:
1.Get a harddrive or one of those nice and silent flashadapters for your internal ide port , u should take note though that there is a gb limit, so if it was me, i would probly get a flashy and a 2gig card for it, then u can allways update your card when u get comfortable with the "how to" break that limit if u need to remember this is amiga so there really are no limits only imagination
2.Yes u need the pcmcia adapter asap for easy transfer of your files from/to your pc, this really is a must have and its cheap , btw before people are rambling on about how u can probly use this as a harddrive aswell, since u are only starting to get back to your roots, forget it, u use this adapter and the extra flashycard u stuff into it for one thing only "moving files with ease"

these are must haves, that wasn't too bad was it ?
But now u need to make a choice, as u will probly want to relive the glory days of a few amiga games and demos and so on, u must keep in mind that many of those games and stuff we remember is NOT happy with a1200's aga chipset, so unless u want only want to use your a1200 for writing files back to disks to use in an a500, u need to expand your a1200 a little further and this is where it can get a little tricky

For that u should get either
a. a memory expansion of at least 4megs (in my opinion not really an option)
b. get an accelerator card to stuff into that trapdoor, i would say if gaming is what u want and running mostly old stuff a 030 with 50mhz and all the ram u can get your hands on (isn't it 32mb that's the limit on those ?) but 16megs is probly enough right ?
c. or if u wish to go the whole ten yards get yourself a 060 card with as much ram as possible (64megs), simply bcoz if u go for 060 u will most certainly be enjoying those shiny new demo's released each year and memory should not be an issue if u allready spend those hardearned cash on a 060 card. yea they are pricey suckers

Problem is though which ever way u choose to expand into that trapdoor of yours, u probly need to look around the net and hope to get lucky, coz, at least here in denmark, amiga expansions arent easy to digg up, but maybe someone out here can help.
Hope this helps u out m8 and welcome back to the amazing world of amiga
oh and sorry for those weird spells im from denmark and english isnt really much my thing

Yikes I allmost forgot, if u are setting up your amiga on a tv set, u should check if u have a RGB scart port, if so, u better grab one of those RGB scartcables on amigakit for razor sharp image (no i didnt mention indivision on purpose)
Old 30 December 2008, 13:54   #12
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
amiga and booze fits like a glove indeed
I don't remember drinking when I got my first Amiga at the age of 12.

... oh, wait...

... this could also explain the reason why I don't remember it...
Old 30 December 2008, 14:04   #13
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5h00n4y View Post
I don't remember drinking when I got my first Amiga at the age of 12.

... oh, wait...

... this could also explain the reason why I don't remember it...
Good one Shoonay

@extralife
That's a good sum up I hope pubzombie will get into gaming on the Amiga again soon with this board
Old 30 December 2008, 19:00   #14
pubzombie

Hi Guys
my head was so so so bad this morning - such a minging hangover
i have just got home and my parcel from Amigakit.co.uk has arrived already
so lets open it together
1 x mouse - branded amiga, with a ball in it
2 x joysticks - mmmm quickshot 2 clones - really for a true retro experience i need an old atari2600 joystick i think
1 x scart to amiga rgb lead with audio - nice and weighty, looks hi quality
1 x 3.1 amiga OS 6xfloppy disks - ohhhh this is technical stuff i will fetch a beer
10x amiga formated floppies - ok i remember these things, i think i still have a 12yr old dirty yellow slot thingy in my old desktop pc that I put these in to save copies of my history homework when i was young and fancied the girl next door. 12yrs is a good age for scotch
1x easy ADF PCMCIA Compact Flash Transfer Kit and 1x 1gig flash card- now this is the exciting part it comes with some instructions that i will look at last. will go and put some adf files on it from my desktop upstairs - back in a moment..

ok I'm happy *GLUGG GLUGG* beer gone, time for a gin and tonic......
ok I'm back:

right some more questions
Is it worth putting OS 3.1 on the flash card?
when i hold both mouse buttons down when i boot my 1200 the instructions that came with the machine say it can be downgraded so it will be compatible with Amiga500 games - what settings do i choose to do this? disable the cpu cache?
Can i install LHA and amiga hard drive based files that are legaly downloadable from the net - like Paradroid 90 - to the flash card?
i am looking on eab for hard drives and expansions so my a1200 is fully a500 compatible and can go on my home network - has anybody out there already done this and can supply me with a list of what they did?

ok off to drink and try running a couple of ADFs see you later and thanx for your time
Pub x
Old 30 December 2008, 19:01   #15
DH
Global Moderator

@pubzombie
If you like the Amiga and you like the booze then visit OFF TOPIC mate and enjoy some off topicness too

I must admit, when I first got my Amiga I was downing the booze like a Whale downs plankton, tonnes of it
Old 30 December 2008, 23:27   #16
ppill
CON: artist

Quote:
when i hold both mouse buttons down when i boot my 1200 the instructions that came with the machine say it can be downgraded so it will be compatible with Amiga500 games - what settings do i choose to do this? disable the cpu cache?
Boot options > Disable CPU Cache
Display Options > Chip Type > Original

usually does the trick. It works with Paradroid90
Old 30 December 2008, 23:50   #17
pubzombie

do i change these settings before i reboot into the flash drive or after i am getting confused here?

Last edited by pubzombie; 31 December 2008 at 00:04.
Old 31 December 2008, 01:56   #18
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Wow! I've got to get me one of those! ... £12.99 at play.com ( http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/645953...k/Product.html )
Ordered it!
Old 31 December 2008, 01:58   #19
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Ordered it!
Have you read my post? (#9) Don't complain afterwards
Old 31 December 2008, 02:04   #20
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Have you read my post? (#9) Don't complain afterwards
Hi TCD!

Have a nice evening, mate? (Saw your post in WATSBCI! )

Yep, I did read your post, but don't worry - it's nothing a little hacking won't fix!

prowler