English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.CD32 Conversion

Old 19 February 2016, 12:30   #61
Amigajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by earok View Post
Edit: Random thing - the source keeps referring to a "CDGS", could this be an early name for the system ala C64GS?
Yeah its on the early prototype boards as 'Amiga CD Games System' when it was known as 'Spellbound'

Old 19 February 2016, 16:55   #62
Amiga1992

Quote:
Ok, bad news guys - I think this is case closed.
Thanks for your investigation earok.
My question now is this: I would love to talk more about this subject, but I am worried that the sole mention of this issue would trigger some licensing vulture asshole to have "funny thoughts". Should we talk about this at all?
Old 19 February 2016, 17:52   #63
Amigajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Thanks for your investigation earok.
My question now is this: I would love to talk more about this subject, but I am worried that the sole mention of this issue would trigger some licensing vulture asshole to have "funny thoughts". Should we talk about this at all?
Exactly...best bet to let this thread die a quick death and nobody mention about you know what
Old 19 February 2016, 17:53   #64
Amiga1992

Maybe we should arrange an IRC meet and talk shop.
Old 19 February 2016, 21:27   #65
SkulleateR

Really I canĀ“t remember what this thread is about

Old 03 April 2016, 23:58   #66
jotd
This cat is no more

bTW can someone zone the "noreset" utility? I'd like to perform some cd swapping
Old 04 April 2016, 11:04   #67
Cobe

Zoned.
Old 04 April 2016, 13:18   #68
a4k-oerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
bTW can someone zone the "noreset" utility? I'd like to perform some cd swapping
Asm source for NoReset is available here.

Edit: NoReset uses lowlevel.library SystemControlA which btw. is a very powerfull function for CD32 development.

Last edited by a4k-oerx; 04 April 2016 at 13:32.
Old 06 April 2016, 01:23   #69
earok

O_o

"SCON_AddCreateKeys"

What is that exactly? Does it create keyboard events from the gamepad?

@Cobe I was vaguely thinking about making a booter disc for Tanks Furry, with CDXL intro or the like. Would you consider doing that project instead? If not could I borrow your current swap disc?
Old 06 April 2016, 12:48   #70
earok

I discovered a few interesting things re: the Trademark files.

In brief, I was discussing the issue with a friend who pointed out there's a legal precedent here in Sega VS Accolade, which ultimately determined that - at least in the US, unsure about the rest of the world - copy protection methods similar to the one employed by the CD32 have no legal standing.

Here's a good summary from http://segaretro.org/TradeMark_Security_System

Quote:
TMSS works by simply requiring instances of the SEGA trademark to appear in various memory locations (see below). Should an unlicensed game appear on the market, Sega could exert its rights over the SEGA trademark and sue the developer for trademark infringement.

The legality of this system was challenged in the United States by Accolade in the court case SEGA vs. Accolade, which ruled in Accolade's favor. The verdict set a precedent that copyrights do not extend to non-expressive content in software that is required by another system to be present in order for that system to run the software. While the system was never challenged elsewhere, Sega did not enforce it after the Accolade case, and consequently several unlicensed game developers started popping up.
In short as I understand things
* Developing software for a system like the Genesis (presumably any other computer system including the CD32) is protected by Fair Use, even if said software is commercial.
* Given that it's an activity protected by Fair Use, and that there's no way to carry out the activity without the inadvertent Trademark infringement, Sega themselves were held responsible.

And this was back in 92-93 even!
Old 06 April 2016, 16:05   #71
Cobe

Quote:
@Cobe I was vaguely thinking about making a booter disc for Tanks Furry, with CDXL intro or the like. Would you consider doing that project instead? If not could I borrow your current swap disc?
Feel free to use it. With my CD32 not working(sigh) I couldn't test it myself so I don't feel like doing that...
Old 06 April 2016, 17:07   #72
Amiga1992

Quote:
In short as I understand things
* Developing software for a system like the Genesis (presumably any other computer system including the CD32) is protected by Fair Use, even if said software is commercial.
* Given that it's an activity protected by Fair Use, and that there's no way to carry out the activity without the inadvertent Trademark infringement, Sega themselves were held responsible.

And this was back in 92-93 even!
Very, VERY good find earok! This should put people's worries to rest.
Old 07 April 2016, 06:22   #73
earok

cheers Akira

I talked to another friend about the CD32 trademark thing and we came up with a couple of ideas

- As has been already established, only the first 2048 bytes need to match, so what's after that could be anything (I think - may need to double check that)
- So we could add some text after the trademark with a standard disclaimer, eg, the Commodore trademark is only present in order for the game to boot, and that the game isn't endorsed or authorized by Commodore in any sense.
Old 07 April 2016, 17:51   #74
Amiga1992

Sounds good. Although I am not sure if that's 100% necessary, because you'd be modifying a file that you're not supposed to.

I think that starting from the fact that you cannot acquire a license anymore, this is kind of a moot cause. But this precedent helps and I hope people stop worrying about it.
Old 08 April 2016, 12:31   #75
earok

@Akira true that.. I don't know.

In any case Tanks Furry is out as freeware now, resolving the original issue. We'll be doing a sanctioned release on CD32.co.uk hopefully soon.