English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. System

Old 18 December 2013, 19:39   #1
AGS
XoXo/Tasko Developer

Question GUI Refresh Problem with Two Tasks

Hi there,

for my GUI I need some tuning tips. There is one Task that listens for IDCMP and if there is something, it changes and redraws the GUI. This works. And I have some other Task that is reading in a Directroy. I have built in the ability to lock the GUI task from the Dir Task, so that the Dir Task can add rows to the GUI listview without disturbing the refresh while pointers are written into the structures. Also this works. And while the dir task adds to the list, the refreshing is done by Intuiticks that the GUI task receives when the dir task is not adding rows. Again, this works. The idea behind the thing with the ticks is, that the refresh is not done after each add, because this would be too slow. After each tick the GUI redraws changes in the GUI.

But now I want to turn off the Intuiticks after the last row has been added by the dir task. If I do this immediately after adding the last row, the GUI seems to not refresh the very last changes. So, question is, how to wait, for what and where?

Actually the ticks should stop only after a) the last row has been added, and b) the last refresh has been done. But I am stuck with this ...

... another Idea would be to send the add-actions to the GUI task as a message and make the GUI task refresh only if there has been passed some time between two messages? Problem with this is, GUI doesn't know what was the last row message and therefore maybe does not refresh it because not enough time passed.
Old 18 December 2013, 20:04   #2
thomas

The dir task should set a flag in the list that the last dir entry has been read and added. The GUI task refreshes normally on IntuiTicks, but after the refresh it should check the flag and if it is set, it should stop the ticks.

You said previously that you use exec lists. The struct List has two fields, lh_Type and l_pad, which are not used by exec.library, so you can use them to store flags.

Are you aware, that you won't receive IntuiTicks if your window is inactive?
Old 18 December 2013, 20:19   #3
AGS
XoXo/Tasko Developer

I thougt so, but it's strange. I get the ticks even if the window is not active. However if I do not activate them, I get no refresh at all.