English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 22 December 2021, 06:09   #1
Cooljerk

Networking an Amiga CD32 to an Amiga 1000 to use CD-Rom drive?

Really weird request, but here we go. I recently added the wireless module to the Terrible Fire in my CD32, so it's now able to connect to a network and browse the internet and such. And at the same time, my Amiga 1000 has a Vampire V2+ inside, also with the networking module, and is technically on the same network.

I know I could run an FTP server on one machine and have the other connect to it, but I'm wondering if there are any utilities out there that would let my Amiga 1000 access the Amiga CD32's CD-Rom drive across the network? I'm really unfamiliar with what networking capabilities the Amiga is capable of.

I would ideally like to do this, because I came across about 40 Aminet CDs a long while back, spanning almost a full decade. It seems like, back in the day, there was a subscription service you could write to, which would every month or two send you a disc containing all the uploads to Aminet since the last disc had been released. They form a huge collection and are numbered. All together, they wind up representing an incredible time capsule to 1990's internet, as they archived *everything* that was uploaded to aminet. Not just utilities and lha archives and such, but usenet posts and images uploads and such.

I can access them just fine on my CD32 through workbench, but my CD32 sits under my TV. I have an actual desk where my A1000 is with keyboard and mouse and monitor, set up for actual computing use, but my A1000 has no CD-Rom drive. I'd like to be able to use those discs from my CD32, to my A1000, across the network. Any idea if this is possible, and if so, how I'd get around to accomplishing this?
Old 22 December 2021, 06:16   #2
Matt_H

If it has a Vampire, I assume the 1000 is running Kickstart 2 or higher? And I assume the CD32 boots to Workbench by default? Then what you want is Envoy. You "export" CD0: on the CD32 and "import" it on the 1000. It acts just like if it were a local removable device - you can even set it up as a DOSDriver to be mounted automatically at boot. Fully system friendly, close to zero resource use, Amiga design principles at their best!
Old 22 December 2021, 06:18   #3
Cooljerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_H View Post
If it has a Vampire, I assume the 1000 is running Kickstart 2 or higher? And I assume the CD32 boots to Workbench? Then what you want is Envoy. You "export" CD0: on the CD32 and "import" it on the 1000. It acts just like if it were a local removable device - you can even set it up as a DOSDriver to be mounted automatically at boot. Fully system friendly, close to zero resource use, Amiga design principles at their best!

Yup, both are running Kickstart 3.1. Thanks very much for the prompt answer, I was pretty sure the Amiga world had such a utility like this, I just needed to know the name. I very much appreciate it!
Old 22 December 2021, 06:27   #4
Matt_H

I'm always thrilled to bring another user into the Cult of Envoy! I tend to be slightly fanatical about how great this software is.
Make sure you get the patch as well.
Old 22 December 2021, 16:45   #5
Mixel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooljerk View Post
I can access them just fine on my CD32 through workbench, but my CD32 sits under my TV. I have an actual desk where my A1000 is with keyboard and mouse and monitor, set up for actual computing use, but my A1000 has no CD-Rom drive. I'd like to be able to use those discs from my CD32, to my A1000, across the network. Any idea if this is possible, and if so, how I'd get around to accomplishing this?
This is possible but slooooow.. It’s actually what I bought my cd32 for originally, as cd drives were super expensive but used cd32 a were super cheap. (a long time ago!) I don’t know where you can get the Amiga-CD32 serial-aux cable from nowadays. I got a kit that came with the necessary sernet software and a bunch of pd games etc on a CD with a serial cable.

It’s easier to network a pc (with a cd drive) to the Amiga and access the content that way, I’d imagine.

Ed: the envoy suggestion seems way more practical, haha!
Old 22 December 2021, 16:57   #6
crazyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_H View Post
I'm always thrilled to bring another user into the Cult of Envoy! I tend to be slightly fanatical about how great this software is.
Make sure you get the patch as well.
This look interesting - where does one get the actual software?

I tend to use ATC (Amitradecenter) for both my amigas to access a shared folder on a network drive currently (although now both have USB I dont use ATC much).
Old 22 December 2021, 19:07   #7
Matt_H

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyc View Post
This look interesting - where does one get the actual software?

I tend to use ATC (Amitradecenter) for both my amigas to access a shared folder on a network drive currently (although now both have USB I dont use ATC much).
For Amiga-to-Amiga networking, Envoy is the best choice, full stop (if you have Kickstart 2 or higher). It works with any SANA-II driver.

I got my copy from Softhut in the mid 2000s and since then I’ve only ever seen one other legit copy for sale. But it can be found through... other sources.

Schatztruhe published v3. IAM published v2. v2 was also bundled with some networking products (Liana, AmigaLink, possibly Ariadne).
Old 24 December 2021, 01:14   #8
Cooljerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixel View Post
This is possible but slooooow.. It’s actually what I bought my cd32 for originally, as cd drives were super expensive but used cd32 a were super cheap. (a long time ago!) I don’t know where you can get the Amiga-CD32 serial-aux cable from nowadays. I got a kit that came with the necessary sernet software and a bunch of pd games etc on a CD with a serial cable.

It’s easier to network a pc (with a cd drive) to the Amiga and access the content that way, I’d imagine.

Ed: the envoy suggestion seems way more practical, haha!

An aside, but CD32 prices are absolutely insane these days. I got mine in 2012, so relatively recently. They were so cheap back then, I should have gotten more. At one point I had 3 of them -- a PAL CD32 (for compatibility) and 2 *boxed* NTSC CD32s, because back then people couldn't give them away.

Wound up trading the NTSC CD32s many years ago for various things, but holy crap all that together now would be well over $1000 easily. I distinctly remember when the CD32 was considered basically worthless. Really kind of a shame how expensive it's all gotten, I think that AVGN episode where he "reviewed" the CD32 really hurt the scene since a bunch of "keep in box and never use" collectors got involved.

I had an SX-1 for a while, and used a gurunet serial modem on the CD32 before, but that's such a wart on the CD32's slick shape that I don't like using it. I've searched for ages for a pinout for the Aux port and a tutorial to build one of those serial connectors, though. I'd love to build one.
Old 24 December 2021, 06:00   #9
mech

was it the Weird Science Network cd that could be used to network? I never used it but remember hearing about it in the day.

Matt is right tho,Envoy is excellent.
Old 27 December 2021, 14:03   #10
Mixel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mech View Post
was it the https://www.ecrater.co.uk/p/34937934...rd-science-forWeird Science Network cd that could be used to network? I never used it but remember hearing about it in the day.

Matt is right tho,Envoy is excellent.
Wow, blast from the past.. that’s the one I have! Somewhere.. lol https://www.ecrater.co.uk/p/34937934...rd-science-for they seem to have it in stock! Then just needs that stupid probably unobtainium cable.