English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 02 August 2001, 01:39   #1
Ian
Global Moderator

Next big thing in emulation will be .....

... WHAT?!?

With everything that has already been done in the emu world, what do you think will be next.

We've just had JIT, while it's completely f*cked up WinUAE for now, when it's working 90% it'll prove itself worthy of the title "A Big Thing"

So my question is a simple one ....... What do you think will be next??

My thoughts are to cynical to post here (Such as a completely bug free WinUAE for instance)

My first thoughts were to PS2/Gamecube emulation, but seeing as you need a >450 mhz to run an emulator (Properly) for the 33 mhz PS1 using the same equation you'll need at least a 4.1 Ghz processor to emulate a 300 mhz PS2.

So I'm completely stumped as to what it will be, any of you guys got any idea's??

BTW I know about Amithlon.
Old 02 August 2001, 02:02   #2
Drake1009

Can't remember where I read it, but I saw an interesting idea about Amiga emulation. Not sure how much truth is in it, but it seems that running on a very stripped down Linux kernel they're going to try and make a complete emulation of an Amiga through a PC (I believe it required an x86). The idea was you could connect your amiga HD to the PC and a sort of emulation of the Amiga OS would be used. That way the only PC related thing would be your hardware and the BIOS which shows up. The rest would be left to emulation to gain maximum performance.

Again, I'm not sure how much of this is true and how much I've misread but it's an interesting idea.
Old 02 August 2001, 02:12   #3
Ian
Global Moderator

That's

Amithlon, you can get info on that HERE

I don't really consider that as a big thing though, as it's not really going to improve Amiga emulation, it's just a different way to do it.
Old 02 August 2001, 03:29   #4
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Well Ian, great thread.
You forgot, coincidentally, to include the X Box in the next gen list you have up there. Dreamcast also.
My idea is, if we have only the PS one emulated now, and not a Saturn, Jaguar or 3DO from the Previous generation of consoles, you can forget about the Dreamcast\Gamecube\PS 2\X Box!!!!!!!!!

ok???????????

Old 02 August 2001, 03:40   #5
Ian
Global Moderator

X-Box

IMO is just a jumped up PC, which going on hardware alone should be a peice of piss to emulate especially with my computer, 1.4 ghz twice as fast as X-Box and (Maybe more importantly) NVidia GeForce3 the same GFX chip.

Who knows, X-Box may actually be a PC that boots direct from DVD/CD's for all we know (Highly likely if you ask me) I'm sure developers will release identical games (Just using Windows) for GeForce3 equiped PC's as they do for the Crap-Box.

BTW there are a couple of emulators for the Saturn my friend, links can be provided if you wish

PS You'll need some Saturn CD's though
Old 02 August 2001, 03:45   #6
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

If I can, old chap, play Saturn game son emus, I'd love to, and I'd gladly buy them, as they go for $10-20 now. From last time I checked, the emus are poor..is this true?
Old 02 August 2001, 07:01   #7
Amiga1992

Saturn emus are utter pish. Just to boot up Sega Rally it took me 30 minutes, on a P3-800 :P

BTW, the X-Box is NOT just a stripped down PC.. the architechture won't be PC-AT based. This means it needs not to retain stupid compatibility with XTs and shit. It's a different hardware, though very similar to a machine of the PC-AT platform.

That AmigaOS thing Drake mentioned sounds like that freesource AmigaOS remake. What was its name?

Anyway, the next big thing to me will be the emulation scene going down IN FLAMES and resurrecting. We need a bombing of this whole shit, and new fresh uncorrupted blood. There's actually nothing I;d like to see emulated, just so it turns in a pile of turd like mostly any of today's emus.
Old 02 August 2001, 07:57   #8
APFelon
Cable Buyer

Quote:
Anyway, the next big thing to me will be the emulation scene going down IN FLAMES and resurrecting. We need a bombing of this whole shit, and new fresh uncorrupted blood. There's actually nothing I;d like to see emulated, just so it turns in a pile of turd like mostly any of today's emus.
The emulation scene as a whole has collapsed and expanded like a bellows for ages. Something "big" comes out, whether it is Callus, NeoRage, UltraHLE, or Final Burn... The lamez come out of the woodwork, get bored, and move on to whatever.

Key to Emuscene success and happiness- Avoid the corrupt, ignore the lame, make friends where you can and make fun and laugh at it all.

It's just nostalgia and games, after all.
Old 02 August 2001, 08:37   #9
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Interesting that you chose Walker as your new avatar, APFelon. I am trying to get the annoying screen errors to stop...
I am hoping a 3DO emu will arrive...it must be very hard to emulate.
Lame is a Commodore Vic 20 emu...GAWD:P
Old 02 August 2001, 08:50   #10
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Yah, 3DO emulation is long overdue.

I say the emu scene is a dud, but I am still using the opportunity to horde up all of those games. I'm not letting the assholes out there ruin my party!
Old 02 August 2001, 08:55   #11
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

I know what you mean, Twist..the ISDA is bearing down on Home of the Underdogs as we speak.
Old 02 August 2001, 12:13   #12
Amiga1992

Quote:
Lame is a Commodore Vic 20 emu...GAWD:P [/B]
Sorry, but I disagree. I can tell you never owned one. Don;t disrespect teh poor machine
Old 02 August 2001, 17:09   #13
APFelon
Cable Buyer

New CD-i emulator (First one, I believe) has been released... The last generation's consoles are quickly becoming emulated, eh?

http://cdice.emuhq.com/
Old 02 August 2001, 19:31   #14
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Akira, sorry..
true pal, I never owned one.
Still my buddy?
PS please delete the previous post, I forgot to log in:P
Old 02 August 2001, 20:38   #15
Amiga1992

It's not a problem, what I don't like is that everybody regards everything that is old as shit.

My SX-64 is slick, cool and advanced. And gues what: it's old!
Old 02 August 2001, 22:27   #16
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Ahhhh Akira, you know, I love Amiga games that are OOOLLLLDD
Atari St, c 64, MSX, Ex 68000, Acorn Achimedes, NES, SNES, Megadrive etc. I love old stuff..the new PC games are mostly shit!!!
I agree totally with you

Say guys..anyone else here LOVE the PC Engine\Turbo Grafix\Turbo Duo from NEC? My fave console of all time

Oh, and Twist, I forgot about it too. When it came out, it was dead. No 3rd party, miserable remote control..it was more of a "Multi media" thing..remember how that was the catchphrase of the day?? Almost as miserablt ubiquitous as "virtual'..ugh:P
Leave it to the know noothing PR and ad men to mess a potential good thing up

Last edited by Fred the Fop; 02 August 2001 at 22:34.
Old 02 August 2001, 23:02   #17
Ian
Global Moderator

I would love to get into PC engine emulation

But I can't as the only emulator that works for me is the one you have to pay for

There are two reason I can't/won't get it, the first and most important in my view is, paying for something that is technically illegal sucks big time, and secondly, I haven't got/want to get a god damn credit card just to pay for things online.

I would much sooner go to the shop, look down the clevage of the big bussomed sales assistant and hand over my hard earned green (Money) and thank her for the view
Old 02 August 2001, 23:13   #18
APFelon
Cable Buyer

Yeah, the CD-i was a big buildup to a big disappointment. Kind of like a blind date who pees her pants at the beginning of the date.

"Full Motion Video" was another buzzword used to peddle this console... We all know how far THAT got... About as far as "A Fork in the Tale" with the psudo-talented Rob Schnieder. CD-i DID have a few second party titles... Rise of the Robots and Lemmings, to name a few... But almost every other platform had these titles, anyway.

It is emulated now, though. At last, the CD-i may be worth the price of admission. Free.
Old 02 August 2001, 23:19   #19
morph72

Question

What? Emulators aren't illegal. That's what those big companies like Sony & Nintendo want to make people believe... the emulation of a system as such isn't illegal as long as no proprietary rights are violated.

You're probably talking about Magic Engine. It's a great emu and worth every penny. However, there are free alternatives... why don't you use Hu-Go! (www.zeograd.com)? Okay, the compatibility is not yet on a par with Magic Engine, but it already runs many games perfectly. Give it a try!

Old 02 August 2001, 23:25   #20
Ian
Global Moderator

@Morph72

Tried it a few months ago, and sadly (for me) it didn't run at all

And yes I was on about Magic Engine